White Star Luggage Service

judy&steve

We used the service to ship our bags from the ship back to the states last year and paid for it back then in the summer of 2005.

One year later, I received a letter with the Cunard logo on it, and was intrigued by what they were sending me. When I opened it, it was a bill for the same shipment last year from Princess Billing department. After calling them twice, and getting a remote control response from their billing person that the bill was what it was (I also learned that quite a number of these bills had gone out to customers), they made us go back a year into our files and dig out evidence that the bill had in fact been paid before. When I sent it to them, I asked them for confirmation that they were retracting the recent incorrect bill, and have not heard from them for almost two months now.

I wonder if anyone in their senior management has any idea when repeat customers are treated this way. No apology, no confirmation that they made a mistake, nothing.

Paul

We always arrive at least one day before the cruise and stay in a hotel in the area. We use the hotel address to send our luggage out by FedEx ground service about one week before we arrive. This means that before I even leave for the port city that my luggage is waiting for me. I never need to worry about it getting lost and catching up to us at sea. UPS has a similar service but all the hotel concierges seem to like FedEx the best.

Where do you ship from? We are in California and are trying to figure out the best way to ship our luggage from here to the ship or hotel?? We take Amtrak to New York and handling our luggage on that long trip has become too much for us.

Where do you ship from? We are in California and are trying to figure out the best way to ship our luggage from here to the ship or hotel?? We take Amtrak to New York and handling our luggage on that long trip has become too much for us.

Contact Fedex. You can take your luggage to them or they will schedule a pick up at your home. It will be delivered to your hotel and placed in a hold area. You can contact your hotel and advice of your luggage arrival. They will tell you what information needs to be on the luggage. Fedex is much more reasonable than DHL which Cunard uses. It should be picked up bu Fedex at least one week prior to your depature. Just ask Fedex what the time allowance should be. We are also in California and are shipping our luggage with Fedex.:)

Dave & Mary

• 3 months later...
Thanks for all the responses to my original post. I will check out FedEx and perhaps stay away from Cunards service.

Did you end up doing this for your QM2 voyage? If so, how did it work for you? Were they able to deliver it to your cabin?

Did you end up doing this for your QM2 voyage? If so, how did it work for you? Were they able to deliver it to your cabin?

No, we didn't use any delivery service. We had a direct flight, so we felt fairly confident that our bags would make it from BWI to Ft Lauderdale. I would have loved to use the service, but we managed with our four suitcases, two carry-ons and two "personal items" (briefcase and handbag.)

--Judy

We shipped from California to Southampton for May 2006 transatlantic. It was pricey but it worked very well. We spent two weeks in Italy before embarkation, so we weren't about to cart a lot of formal clothes around.

When we boarded the OM2, our luggage was in our stateroom. We had to pick up to go thru customs at Red Hook, but quickly dropped at the kiosk just past the customs gate. Next time we saw it was on our doorstep.

I like the suggestion of FedEx. And will check the cost. DHL cost about $600 for 50 lbs of clothes.

We've used White Star on two trips, now, and will use it again each time we go. They pick up your bag/s one week before you sail. The bags are there the evening your board. And your bags are back to you within one or two days.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

We've used White Star on two trips, now, and will use it again each time we go. They pick up your bag/s one week before you sail. The bags are there the evening your board. And your bags are back to you within one or two days.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Can you give us an idea of the cost, please?

Luggage in advance and collection arrangements Guests can now arrange to have their luggage transported directly to and from the ship. Cunard’s White Star Luggage Service is the perfect alternative to transporting your own luggage through airport congestion and customs. It’s also a wonderful option for those who choose to extend their travels pre or post voyage. Shipment is provided by DHL Worldwide Express and is available exclusively for Cunard guests. Reservations for this service must be secured at least 30 days prior to your sailing date. Service can be requested within 30 days of sailing at an additional cost and is based on availability and destination. Domestic and international shipping is available. Rates start as low as $90.00 USD per bag. Additional terms and conditions apply. For more information and rates specific to your particular voyage, please call 1-888-491-0774.

Sorry about that!

I know the literature says "starting at $90" or something like that, for one-way. But we have paid a bit under $300 r.t. for each and every bag we've sent. Now, they are largish bags (but that's White Star/DHL's "problem";) ). But it means we are left with little to carry in transit.

We are in California and were quoted 1 - 30 lbs $130.00, 31-50 lbs $150.00 51-75 lbs 190.00 every 10 lbs over is 15.00 more.

We don't fly and taking AMTRAK to New York with all our baggage as a 'bit much' so this year we will use the White Star Service.

We are in California and were quoted 1 - 30 lbs $130.00, 31-50 lbs $150.00 51-75 lbs 190.00 every 10 lbs over is 15.00 more.

We don't fly and taking AMTRAK to New York with all our baggage as a 'bit much' so this year we will use the White Star Service.

Are you taking the Zephyr? Or going up to Portland and across?

We took the train to our trip last June/July and will do the same this year. MUCH better than flying. You can easily find a good car service to pick you up at the train station and drive you directly to the ship. No "herding" allowed.:)

That would be each way, $300. round trip. But you've got to remember vacation money is different from real money, LOL...just add it into the cost of your trip.

Even tho it is pricey, it's going to make our next trip doable for us where otherwise we wouldn't be able to handle it. We will ship the large bag and each have a rolling garmet bag which we will check.:cool: :rolleyes:

Even tho it is pricey, it's going to make our next trip doable for us where otherwise we wouldn't be able to handle it.

Just THINK of all the money you SAVE. ;) No tip for the driver, for the porter outside the airport terminal or train station, for the driver (again) or for the porter who offers to help with your bags to get on the ship.

That MUST be $20 right there. :D

Just THINK of all the money you SAVE. ;) No tip for the driver, for the porter outside the airport terminal or train station, for the driver (again) or for the porter who offers to help with your bags to get on the ship.

That MUST be $20 right there. :D

I know, LOL :D but it was bad enough I was a crip, now hubby is too....so, ya gotta give somewhere. :cool:

Thanks for all the information. I think it will be worthwhile to send our formal clothes with White Star. We plan to spend the week before our crossing in Scotland and this way we won't have to drag his tux and my formals including shoes with us.

Archived