White Star Luggage Service

judy&steve

Okay I am reading what you all say about shippping Luggage. I too take Amtrak to NYC for Cunard, this being my first trip on a cruise ship.

I am going to stop in NYC on the way home for one or two days, but would I be better to ship what I dont need from England or let the ship carry it to NYC and then ship the excess bags to my home in Chicago???

Bill -Mysteryfan

My experience of the luggage service is that it's not worth shipping your luggage unless your journey involves air travel (or if you can't manage to move it all). I looked at shipping luggage from York to Southampton and then flying to meet the boat. The cost was prohibitive - the luggage service cost as much as from here to the States! In the end a taxi was a lot cheaper, took us directly to the boat and the driver looked after all our luggage.

Okay I am reading what you all say about shippping Luggage. I too take Amtrak to NYC for Cunard, this being my first trip on a cruise ship.

I am going to stop in NYC on the way home for one or two days, but would I be better to ship what I dont need from England or let the ship carry it to NYC and then ship the excess bags to my home in Chicago???

Bill -Mysteryfan

You can use White Star only one-way. If you had them take it from NYC, it would be home when you were. Our bag from the St. Thomas trip arrived yesterday, two days after we made it home.

I agree with, though that if someone lives within taxi/car/limo distance of the port it doesn't make sense.

Bill -Mysteryfan

You can use White Star only one-way. If you had them take it from NYC, it would be home when you were. Our bag from the St. Thomas trip arrived yesterday, two days after we made it home.

I agree with, though that if someone lives within taxi/car/limo distance of the port it doesn't make sense.

This summer, I will be doing the east/west crossings with a 15 day land tour of Italy in between. Does anyone know if the White Star Luggage program (or any other ideas) stores luggage in Southampton? I would love to be able to store my formal cruise wear, as well as warm jackets,etc. instead of dragging them all over Italy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Does anyone know if the White Star Luggage program (or any other ideas) stores luggage in Southampton?

I would expect Cunard to store it onboard. On the QE2 they certainly store luggage for people doing the first and last parts of the WC. If Cunard can't help try contacting the railway station to see if they have a left luggage facility there or you could try contacting Southampton Tourist Information and asking them about luggage facilities. Are you staying in Southampton before/after your Italian trip - ask your hotel to store your luggage.

Thank you, Malcolm!

I will look into each suggestion. After arriving in Southampton I will be doing the Paris/London Holiday with Cunard. In Paris I'll take a train to Rome, to start the tour with Globus.

Just wondering.....would you or anyone else know of any message boards for land tours? This is the BEST way to get info and ideas!!!! Last summer I did a round trip TA with Holland America - Maasdam. I learned so much, and everyone was SO helpful. I felt so prepared for such a long trip.

• 3 months later...
This summer, I will be doing the east/west crossings with a 15 day land tour of Italy in between. Does anyone know if the White Star Luggage program (or any other ideas) stores luggage in Southampton? I would love to be able to store my formal cruise wear, as well as warm jackets,etc. instead of dragging them all over Italy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Talk to the Baggage Master onboard. They store luggage onboard all the time.

Julia

Thank you, Malcolm!

I will look into each suggestion. After arriving in Southampton I will be doing the Paris/London Holiday with Cunard. In Paris I'll take a train to Rome, to start the tour with Globus.

Just wondering.....would you or anyone else know of any message boards for land tours? This is the BEST way to get info and ideas!!!! Last summer I did a round trip TA with Holland America - Maasdam. I learned so much, and everyone was SO helpful. I felt so prepared for such a long trip.

Try tripadvisor.com for your land travel.

We are planning to use White Star to and from home (California) What is the procedure - do we have to take our bags to be weighed or ????

Thanks

You just estimate the weight and then they weigh it after they pick it up. Estimate low to middle and you'll be in good shape.

We JUST received our White Star stuff for the June 10th trip. They'll pick up a week before the ship leaves, giving plenty of time.

It really does make things easier. Your bags will arrive in your cabin the evening you board and will reach your home a couple days after you return. Very nice.

We leave Saturday for the QM2. I called for a quote to ship White Star from Connecticut to Southampton England and back. The cost was absurd, well over $500 round trip per piece at 50 pounds. Only clothing is accepted, so we still would have had to check at least one bag and lug it around. We will have 4 or 5 bags. There was no way we could justify $2500 no matter how good the service. We're just going to do it the old fashioned way. We're flying first class for free using our miles, and the airline allows us 3 pieces up to 70 pounds each for free, but even if you fly coach and pay for an extra bag or two it still is a bargain compared to White Star's ridiculous prices to Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like such a useful service...we will be travelling with a small child, so we'll have a ton of luggage (nappies, extra clothes in case of malfuctioning nappies, stroller, etc.) and it would be very helpful to send clothes on ahead of us rather than dragging them (and the little guy) through an airport. I'm sorry to hear about the billing problem the one poster mentioned, I hope it eventually got straightened out.

As someone in the global logistics business, there ARE cheaper ways to ship luggage. For domestic US shipments, the good 'ole US Post Office can't be beat. Find a box for your luggage (U Haul has the best boxes) and an address for delivery (preferably a hotel the night before). Package rate will run about $50.00 for 50 pounds coast to coast. Priority will run about $100.00

AND the real biggie with some of the luggage shipping services AND DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc: Your insurance coverage is generally limited to $1000.00 per package/suitcase, UNLESS you opt and pay for extra insurance which is XXX per $100.00 of value. The post office has really cheap insurance.

Is the post office too much hassle???? You can have FedEX, DHL or UPS pick up (or you can drop off) you suitcases without the box. Must hang the tag with contents list on the handle of the suitcase. Slightly cheaper than using a luggage service, but definitely NOT cheap. And don't forget to check the insurance coverage. A couple of suits, a couple of gowns could easily be more than the insurance limit.

If you have the luxury of time before or after a cruise, again the USPS does a darn decent job on international shipments. Allow 30 days for surface, 4-10 days for Priority. 50# suitcase from Los Angeles to London-Priority-$175.00. And you can get $3-4000 worth of insurance for about $10.00. The courier services will charge about $50.00 for the same amount of insurance.

You must have an address for delivery. I believe Cunard's port agent can accept delivery. Or send to your hotel.

I ship personal stuff to/from South America every year via the post office. I have also shipped personal stuff to/from Asia and Europe with no problems. I also ship freight for others all over the globe everyday. If you need help moving your luggage, feel free to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it for our last crossing in 05 and it was great. We did 2 weeks in Greece before our crossing so I didn't want to haul formal wear all over the place (it was a different type of trip for us in Greece). It was so nice to get on board and find that Stephan had already unpacked most of our luggage.

We've used it for this crossing too - fingers crossed that it will be there when we get there tomorrow (18 May). Even though our trip this time wasn't as long - having to be responsible for my mother and myself made this decision easy - I used it. I had to pay $20 extra to get $4K in insurance - totally worth it.

Is it an extravagance - Yeap. But it works for us...

We only do it one way - I'm having a driver meet us at the pier in NYC so we'll bring it back ourselves.

HTH!

We only do it one way - I'm having a driver meet us at the pier in NYC so we'll bring it back ourselves.

HTH!

Could you please comment on pricing one-way vs round trip.

Thanks,

Julia

Could you please comment on pricing one-way vs round trip.

Thanks,

Julia

I think it was $300 or $350. I can't remember - I made the reservation months ago. Oh and when they give you that window of time to be ready - be ready 15 min before that window starts - that is when DHL has shown up both times (I shooed him away last time - I wasn't ready. :eek:)

I think it was $300 or $350. I can't remember - I made the reservation months ago. Oh and when they give you that window of time to be ready - be ready 15 min before that window starts - that is when DHL has shown up both times (I shooed him away last time - I wasn't ready. :eek:)

Was this for one bag? Weight?

I have a business trip on the opposite coast the week before my next cruise, so am seriously considering using this service.

Thanks,

Julia

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a reservation with White Star Luggage today for pickup to and from N.Y.

I am a bit concerned to learn that we cannot lock the bags - I know many of you have used this service and I don't recall seeing any posts about theft from the luggage, but it does worry me a little - however, we can't handle heavy luggage anymore so I felt it had to do it.

I might mention that the 2,000,00 insurance provided (you can buy more) is adjusted based on depreciated value - so should there be a loss, you will not receive replacement cost - unless you can provide a receipt showing the item(s) were new. When I inquired, the lady had to go and check - she said no one had asked her that before. I told her I am a retired insurance agent so it was natural that this would come to mind.

I have made a reservation with White Star Luggage today for pickup to and from N.Y.

I am a bit concerned to learn that we cannot lock the bags - I know many of you have used this service and I don't recall seeing any posts about theft from the luggage, but it does worry me a little - however, we can't handle heavy luggage anymore so I felt it had to do it.

I might mention that the 2,000,00 insurance provided (you can buy more) is adjusted based on depreciated value - so should there be a loss, you will not receive replacement cost - unless you can provide a receipt showing the item(s) were new. When I inquired, the lady had to go and check - she said no one had asked her that before. I told her I am a retired insurance agent so it was natural that this would come to mind.

These are the same thing as the two ties White Star sends you to attach their tag to your bag. You can buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot. Then, use on where each zipper meets, etc. This closes your luggage and all but ensures no one will get in to your bag. And, if they DO get in to your bag, you have proof.

None of the carriers are going to let you lock the bags due to security concerns. I have twisted cable ties which can be cut around the handles so at least I know if they were opened. Also, there are some items you can not put in these shipped bags. Call White Star and talk to them if you want more information .... I was very pleased with the information I got. I will be shipping from either California or Colorado in January.

Thanks - the Flex-ties offer me some sense of security. After lugging those two bags on and off Amtrak, into cabs etc on our prior cruises - this will be a luxury for sure. This time we will be flying to and from NY (from California) and will just have a carry-on. "sweet it is"!!

Archived