Don't forget to take these items

Giantfan13

If anyone is sailing the POH, make sure you take a clock, or a clock radio/alarm. there is NO clock in any of the rooms. If you need the time and don't have your watch, you must see it on the TV. We found out at the last minute and took our alarm clock. We needed it to wake us up every morning. We did leave a wake up call also, but the phones were very low. They fail to mention that in their brochures, no clocks in the rooms.

Also, if anyone has one of those 4 or 6 outlet strips, you might want to bring that also. there are several outlets, but they are in out of the way places. We brought a cheap 6 outlet surge and plugged it into the main outlet. We were able to charge both cell phones, the camera batteries, the cam corder batteries and have the alarm clock along with it.

Also, if anyone of the ladies, likes a softer type of soap, or shampoo, bring your own. The only soap they have is from the dispensers on the wall and in the shower. No more bars of soap and shampoos.

Yes

If anyone has an old 'flower' shirt in the back of your closet that you were too embarrassed to wear because it was so loud, BRING IT. Byn the end of the cruise 75% of the passengers are wearing some sort of flower shirt, Aloha shirts etc. Personally, I'm from NY, and I wear shirts like that all the time, but in NY you definately feel out of place. Hey, I was home in Hawaii.

First of all my old hint of the cheapo shoe bag for over the bathroom door, Febreeze, the colored markers to check off places you want to be..and post its for leaving notes on doors and mirrors, two mesh bags for laundry and to put in breakable souveniers/liquor.. and this trip I'm finally taking walkie-talkies so Parrot Pop and I can keep track of each other.. Ginger tablets for seasickness and mint tea for an upset stomach.. etc.etc. Guess I've been cruising much too long.. my list goes on and on..lol

I think the mesh laundry bags are an excellent idea...I am always struggling to keep my dirty clothes separate from the clean ones, and that works great! I hate those paper bags they give you in the rooms...not as good as the mesh bags. :)

Also, I'm curious about the ginger for motion sickness. We have used the Scop patches in the past, but they dry us out terribly, and I hate that feeling. Does the ginger really work???

The patches were NOT recommended by M.D.s I worked with, but you can cut yours in half if it doesnt affect your eyesight. Yes, the ginger tablets available at health food stores work if you take them as I do at each meal while at sea and just before sailing. Some people do chew fresh ginger or make tea out of it...It works on the principle of flat gingerale our mothers gave us when we had upset tummies.. With the mesh bags I use one for dark and one for white clothes.. and then leave the bag next to the washing machine...

Don't forget the bathroom spray...remember, no windows in the bathrooms! :o

Also, use a travel clock that illuminates (Wal-Mart/Target). Also, Wal-Mart (and, I'm not pushing them but they do carry this stuff and it's so cheap), a great mug that holds 1 1/2 cans of diet soda. We bring a box of caffiene free diet coke/bottled water, put a luggage tag on it and have it delivered to our cabin (this is good if your driving to the dock)! I have the room steward empty the "stuff" out of the refrig. and I put all the coke/water in.

Ask the Steward to bring you a container of ice each day and you can fill your mug with ice/soda/lemonade etc. And, your good to go! With a little extra tip, if course! :p

I've tried the soda card and didn't like the incovenience of the "ask" or the size of the glass.......I couldn't believe how much $$ I saved just bringing my own and it's so easy.....It doesn't get in the way of my vacation and I get exactly what I want! :)

A small collapsable cooler bag is what we used. we filled a plastic bag with ice every morning, made ourselves a couple of sandwitches for the day, brought some water bottles and we were all set for a days journey.

A tip for anyone sailing to hawaii. Whenn you are off the ship and need a great cool you down, try the shave ice that is all over the islands. If you want something heavenly, go into some of the private ice cream places and have some Kona Coffee flavored ice cream. I can still taste it right now. It is the best.

A tip we learned many years ago traveling with kids in hot places was to take a washcloth and plastic baggies where we went. I wet the washcloth before we go anywhere, fill the baggie with ice and but the washcloth in the baggie, then throw the baggie into my bag. It's oh so refreshing ALL day long. As the ice melts the washcloth absorbs the ice water. So no leaks in your bag!:D

On my recent cruise to Bermuda I had brought all kinds of things from suggestions I saw here. The number ONE thing I brought that I was SO happy I had was a bungee cord.

Unless you have a balcony, there are no windows to open, therefore no way to dry wet clothes. There is no room in the bathrooms to hang them either. We hooked the bungee cord across the ceiling of the room from the ceiling vent grate to the top of the closet doors and were able to dry clothes without them being in our way. Quite amazing for such a small cabin!!! I'll never cruise without one!!!!

A friend lost the crown on a front tooth while on a Fall Foliage cruise around Quebec some years ago.We learned that can be the most difficult thing to find. Nothing on the ships and in this case nothing in local Pharmacys either.Therefore...before each cruise we take I buy a small inexpensive dental repair kit. Great peace of mind...and something people rarely think will happen to them !

Archived