Other people's attitudes

crucero

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I haven't been here in a while, but I have booked the NCL Dawn for the Holidays with my two daughters (2 yr old, 5 yr old) and 20 mth old nephew.

I brought my daughter on her first cruise when she was 16 months, and then we went on another cruise when she was 2 1/2.

I got so many negative comments from cruisers on the RCCL boards that I got really turned off to this board.

On both cruises, we had a great time. My DD loved it and we had a great time. I think everyone has a choice whether they want to bring their children on their vacations or not, but I would never have a family vacation without them.

When people ask me why I bring my children on vacation with us, I say because I actually love spend time with them. Vacations are the only time that we have unconditional time with them without any other responsibilities.

If some people don't like it, too bad! Let them stay home!

Just from another perspective, I think the only reason some think negatively about small children being on cruises is because there are a lot of parents out there who don't take the other passengers into consideration. A small child will tend to get over tired and it would be unfair to expect them to sit in the dining room for a 2 hour meal. Some parents don't want to miss that dining experience for themself and will just let the kids scream and disturb the others trying to enjoy the meal.

All parents have horror stories about their kids misbehaving in public so we all understand. It's the parents that don't remove the child from the room and subject everyone else to the misbehavior that leave a bad taste in the mouth for kids on cruises, no matter what the age. And yes, there are plenty of adults that should be removed sometimes too!

Just from another perspective, I think the only reason some think negatively about small children being on cruises is because there are a lot of parents out there who don't take the other passengers into consideration. A small child will tend to get over tired and it would be unfair to expect them to sit in the dining room for a 2 hour meal. Some parents don't want to miss that dining experience for themself and will just let the kids scream and disturb the others trying to enjoy the meal.

All parents have horror stories about their kids misbehaving in public so we all understand. It's the parents that don't remove the child from the room and subject everyone else to the misbehavior that leave a bad taste in the mouth for kids on cruises, no matter what the age. And yes, there are plenty of adults that should be removed sometimes too!

It's called common sense. And I can honestly say that I have never witnessed any screaming children in the dining room on any of my cruises. Maybe I was just lucky. But I think *most* parents don't want to listen to their screaming children in the dining room let alone make others listen to them.

I think most parents are considerate. And it's up to the parent to decide whether their child can handle the 2 hour meal. I KNOW my children can handle it...and they have...and continue to do so with no problems.

What upsets me is that there are those who paint ALL children and ALL parents with the same brush as the minority of "bad" children and "bad" adults.

Pre-judging that a kid is going to be bad and then putting that child down without any cause, is just wrong. And it happens every day.

I had someone asked to be put at another table in a restaurant once before she even sat down. My kids were being angels, but she assumed that they were going to be noisy.

I do try to respect other people when I am dining, and expect the same from others. If my children are acting up, they are quickly brought outside until they calm down.

I had someone asked to be put at another table in a restaurant once before she even sat down. My kids were being angels, but she assumed that they were going to be noisy.

I do try to respect other people when I am dining, and expect the same from others. If my children are acting up, they are quickly brought outside until they calm down.

Oh I love that. You could be dining in a family friendly restaurant, the kids are being perfect angels, then the hostess tries to sit a couple next to you and suddenly they ask if the table on the other side of the room is available. :rolleyes:

What upsets me is that there are those who paint ALL children and ALL parents with the same brush as the minority of "bad" children and "bad" adults.

Pre-judging that a kid is going to be bad and then putting that child down without any cause, is just wrong. And it happens every day.

I totally agree with you! So many will be quick to prejudge any kids, no matter what the age. I've seen it done with my teenagers too. But it is safe to say that we have all experienced screaming kids somewhere at some time that the parents didn't do anything about. It just all boils down to common courtesy and sometimes that seems to be lacking these days.

Only the parent knows what their kids can and can't handle. If you think your children will enjoy a cruise, than it's nobody elses business if you bring them or not.

It's called common sense. And I can honestly say that I have never witnessed any screaming children in the dining room on any of my cruises. Maybe I was just lucky. But I think *most* parents don't want to listen to their screaming children in the dining room let alone make others listen to them.

I think most parents are considerate. And it's up to the parent to decide whether their child can handle the 2 hour meal. I KNOW my children can handle it...and they have...and continue to do so with no problems.

Now if we can get some of these adult passengers to behave...

We always take our daughter on our trips. She went on a cruise about four months before she was born:) and her first official cruise at 23 months. I couldn't imagine being away from her for a week or more, and would feel guilty that she's missing out. Fortunately I haven't had to reply with a retort. Either no one had a problem being around my daughter or I'm good about tuning out any such talk.

Honestly, i have been on alot of cruises and only once did i witness very bad behaviour by kids in the dining room, crawling on top of the table, crawling under other peoples table, scooting chairs together to make a tent as the parents totally ignored them. Is this the childrens fault?

i believe NO, this is the parents fault for letting them behave this way.

I personally would rather cruise with families with kids than some of the single adults on board.

We have just booked our first cruise with our little man, he will be exactly 13months to the day when we embark. Everyone we have told has been so positive and when I tell them about the childrens facilities they are amazed. We are hoping to put LM in the nursery at night so we can have Mummy and Daddy time as it will be his bedtime when we eat, but during the day we are all going to spend as much time together as possible. Having said that there is a ball pool in the nursery and these are his very favourite thing so I can see him staying in that the whole trip. :D:p

Next year I hope he will be able to eat with us all (Grandma, Grandad, Aunt, Mummy & Daddy). He is regularly taken to restaurants and cafes now and he is always well behaved. We have always taken him with us everywhere and he will grow up knowing how to behave in public. Everytime we go out people comment on how good he is. Were he to play up one of us would take him out and calm him down before re-entering the area. I don't believe in "children should be seen and not heard" but I do believe in manners and education and I think travel is the very best type of education you can recieve.

just tell people your going on a family vacation, an if it is a family vacation it would be wrong to leave your child home. at 10 months old it would be hard to leave your baby anyway. babys have fun to the my not remember but its kind of just molding there lifes. there for your a good parent, and dont worry about what people say. this mybe your best cruise Frankie Cruise

Archived