Rhapsody a big disappointment

jen79

We cruised on Rhapsody out of Galveston on Aug. 27. This was my 3rd cruise (all on RC) and I was very disappointed. The itinerary was changed because of Hurricane Ernesto, which I was actually expecting since we were cruising in August. But the excursions that were offered at the last minute were really lame, and the substituted ports (Belize & Costa Maya) were not very appealing.

The worst part, though, was that the ship vibrated the entire week. I'm not sure if it was because they had to push it harder than usual or what, but the vibration was significant. I missed a few nights of sleep because my bed was shaking so much. Also, the Schooner Bar vibrated so much that one of my friends couldn't hang out with us in there one night (it made her sick despite her seasickness patch).

Hopefully it's not so bad now, but I thought I would warn anyone who might be cruising on Rhapsody soon.

At least your trying more times.

All ships and cabin locations are not alway the same.

Have you gone on Holland American (HAL) yet? Thought of other lines as well?

Go for it..:cool:

Trying other newer ships and lines gives a different prospective as eating different types/methods of cooked chicken and eggs do too..EG: Chicken Mole (Chocolate Chicken) can be sweet hot or plain.. etc... over easy scrambled with brains etc...:eek:

We cruised on Rhapsody out of Galveston on Aug. 27. This was my 3rd cruise (all on RC) and I was very disappointed. The itinerary was changed because of Hurricane Ernesto, which I was actually expecting since we were cruising in August. But the excursions that were offered at the last minute were really lame, and the substituted ports (Belize & Costa Maya) were not very appealing.

The worst part, though, was that the ship vibrated the entire week. I'm not sure if it was because they had to push it harder than usual or what, but the vibration was significant. I missed a few nights of sleep because my bed was shaking so much. Also, the Schooner Bar vibrated so much that one of my friends couldn't hang out with us in there one night (it made her sick despite her seasickness patch).

Hopefully it's not so bad now, but I thought I would warn anyone who might be cruising on Rhapsody soon.

I have cruised on the Rhapsody and have another cruise planned next year. Out of fairness the RCL and the Rhapsody, wouldn't you say that most of the problem was nature related (a hurricane). Since you admitted that you were aware of a change of itinerary chance cruising at that time of year, what did you expect. Changes have to be made at last minute as to where they will take you. Where else did you want them to take you? RCL cannot just blindly pick somewhere to take you. How full the ports are, how many other of their ships, etc. all has to be considered.

Just a risk you take when you cruise in hurricane season. But your dislike in the ports and them changing the itinerary is not a RCL problem, but the vibration is.

The Monarch (same class) vibrated as well during our 4 night cruise. And, no it wasn't due to a hurricane :rolleyes:

Monarch and Rhapsody are not the same class of ship. Monarch is Sovereign class and Rhapsody is Vision class. And I didn't feel a vibration on either ship when I sailed them.

Monarch and Rhapsody are not the same class of ship. Monarch is Sovereign class and Rhapsody is Vision class. And I didn't feel a vibration on either ship when I sailed them.

I never felt any vibration when I was on the Vision except a little in my room at night and that's because I was on the aft corner balcony which is below the disco!

I got used to it, and was able to sleep fine.

I will be on the Vision again next month, and after cruising Voyager class ships, I wonder if it will feel rougher overall.

I never felt any movement at all on the Rhapsody. I love her! and in fact we are sailing her again in Feb. She is a great ship and has the BEST crew!

We also had to sub Costa Maya for Grand Caymen. Some people we had talked to were a little mad but hey, any where you are in the Caribbean is better then sittin at home!

Wow. I'm sorry you had a less than great time. My friend was on the same cruise and he didn't mention anything about vibration. He and his buddy had a great time in both Belize and Costa Maya. I was on Rhapsody back in June for the first time and I loved her and wouldn't hesitate to cruise her again. I think for my taste anyway, the smaller ships are more to my liking. I don't have any use for ice skating rinks and boxing rings :confused: !

Where was your cabin? We were told that the vibration had to do with the engines not being in sync. You should have noticed that the vibration wasn't all the time, just occassionally. We love the Rhapsody and can't wait til next August!!

Love the Rhapsody, so much so I am going again in June 2007. Unfortunately during hurricane season there are going to be times where it is less than desirable to be on a ship. Waves do make people sick. As far as itinerary changes, that is something you have to just roll with this late in hurricane season. Unfortunately there are not a lot of port choices within the distance to choose from. At least you got to stop, sometimes trips are cut short and in my friend's case his 5 day cruise was to nowhere in July 2005 - they did not get to make one stop.

I was on this same cruise...it's funny how people notice or don't notice different things...neither of us noticed any vibrating at all! I thought the excursions in Belize & Costa Maya were lame & expensive too, but I was just unhappy as I like to do that research beforehand, and I knew nothing about either place so had to go with the ship tours.

My son and I took one bonine each morning, and neither of us felt seasick all week. I didn't feel anything all week, no rocking, nothing...thought it was smooth sailing! :)

On same sailing of the Rhapsody.

Seas were as gflat as glass.

Change in ports were wonderful

'Lame'? Whould love to know what was lame.

Belize city..an opportunity to snorkel the barrier reef.

Costa Maya..a spectacular day at the beach.

Schooner's bar? Da** it was so jammed every night, how could you ever feel any vibration.

Sleep and vibration..Yes it did, but no more than any of the other 50+ cruises I have been on.

I respect your opinion, but I recommend Branson the next time

Schooner's bar? Da** it was so jammed every night, how could you ever feel any vibration.

Sleep and vibration..Yes it did, but no more than any of the other 50+ cruises I have been on.

I respect your opinion, but I recommend Branson the next time

Packed or not has no effect on vibration. If it was there, it was there. And I, for one, don't dismiss such things as easily as you seem to. It doesn't make me sick but it does make me wonder what is so off balance in the motor that such a vibration can be felt shipwide. Vibration is a killer for mechanical systems. I don't like the idea of sitting dead in the water somewhere because someone ignored an obvious problem. No other cruise I've been on had significant vibration issues, so when one pops up, I consider it a cause for concern. This is not opinion. This is simple fact.

I in no way doubt your professional judgement.

It is a massive set of engines.....the entire ship feels a vibration. This vibration was so minor it was insignificant.

Go buy a $90,000 Mercedes....put your hand on the frame, you will "feel" vibratation.

Please, do not attempt to evaluate a situation in which you were not present.

I was one of the calmest cruises I have ever experienced.

Very unfortunate about your change of itinerary; the Mariner sailed her intended course out of Port Canaveral that week and the seas were perfectly calm and blue like a swimming pool. Captain Johnny gambled that Ernesto would fizzle and we all won. I don't think the Rhapsody was the only ship that diverted though, which was a bonus for us as the Western ports were very uncrowded.

Personally, I'd really like to go to Belize - that stop is hard to come by. After sailing the Mariner we've decided we're "small boat" people, so I'm also quite interested in a Vision-class vessel.

Sorry your week wasn't all you had hoped.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I in no way doubt your professional judgement.

It is a massive set of engines.....the entire ship feels a vibration. This vibration was so minor it was insignificant.

Go buy a $90,000 Mercedes....put your hand on the frame, you will "feel" vibratation.

Please, do not attempt to evaluate a situation in which you were not present.

I was one of the calmest cruises I have ever experienced.

The vibration that the OP is describing is not insignificant. And the vibration I felt on Monarch last week was not either, although the on again off again nature of it implied a resonance effect that made the issue noticeable only some of the time. You are right that I can't speak to the particular issue he is describing other than to say that if it was strong enough to make people sick, it was not minor. Perhaps you are not as sensitive to such things as others are. I doubt they made the incident up.

For what its worth, if you are feeling significant vibration in a $90,000 Mercedes, it needs a tune up.

2 comments,

1) During Peak hurricane season, which you were in, you have to be prepared for a mystery cruise. They will never put lives and their ships in the way of the storms possible track. Plus, who would want to be anywhere close anyway, the seas would be extremely high, and rain would ruin your trip even if you are no where close to the damaging wind.

It is too bad you missed the ports that you had planned on going to, but it is better than a total wash out!

2) I have been on Rhapsody 3 times in the past 2 years, I have never felt a vibration, so maybe I have a high tolarance or it was an isolated event.

Archived