For Those Recently Back: Bringing Liquour Aboard

charlielinda

Just a simple question: Has anyone returned from a recent cruise since the new "improved" rule has been announced and what was your experience if they tried to bring liquor aboard?

I am hoping that this does not become another discussion about those who bring liquor aboard and those of who you think that no one should bring liquor aboard. I do know the rule is that you are not allowed to bring liquor aboard.

Just a simple question: Has anyone returned from a recent cruise since the new "improved" rule has been announced and what was your experience if they tried to bring liquor aboard?

I am hoping that this does not become another discussion about those who bring liquor aboard and those of who you think that no one should bring liquor aboard. I do know the rule is that you are not allowed to bring liquor aboard.

No, I won't go on about the policy, but I was also wondering what the impact was. I had been hoping to buy some good greek wine while on the Med cruise and bring it aboard paying the corkage fee.

With the new policy I figured I would avoid the situation...wonder what the impact is for X. Probably none.

Woo

Did It Twice. Once In Mexico Where The Wine Was Taken From Me After Reboarding The Ship From Cabo & Held Until We Returned Home. That Now Is Not Good Since You Can't Travel Home With It Any Longer.

Second Time Was In Messina Where We Bought Some Reds & It Passed Through The Xray Machine With No Problem. I Think That You Need To Put It In A Backpack Or Carry-on So It's Not So Obvious. I'm Faced With The Same Problem. 1st Time We Had It In A Paper Bag.

Nat Twojerseygirl

Woo

Did It Twice. Once In Mexico Where The Wine Was Taken From Me After Reboarding The Ship From Cabo & Held Until We Returned Home. That Now Is Not Good Since You Can't Travel Home With It Any Longer.

Second Time Was In Messina Where We Bought Some Reds & It Passed Through The Xray Machine With No Problem. I Think That You Need To Put It In A Backpack Or Carry-on So It's Not So Obvious. I'm Faced With The Same Problem. 1st Time We Had It In A Paper Bag.

Nat Twojerseygirl

Perhaps I will take a chance and do an experement to see if it works before bringing several bottles at once:D love my wine!:D

Thanks Nat!

We brought some of our favorites from home on our cruise and just packed them in our luggage. Didn't try to disguise it or anything and we had no problems. Our table mates did the same. I have no experience trying to bring liquor on the ship from a port and carrying it on.

We tested the policy on our Galaxy cruise in July.We were able to bring wine [4 bottles]aboard in our hand baggage at the start of the cruise.The scanners were Italians and not ship people.I believe this was the reason.Not a word was said.At Mykonos our dau-in- law brought a bottle of wine aboard with no problems.My wife tried to bring a bottle aboard at Santorini and was caught.The wine was return to us the last day of the cruise,but it was returned in time for us to still ice it down and have our glass of wine on the balcony before dinner.Nothing was lost.

Don't know what to tell you.

You are right -- I'm looking for experiences in packing the liquor in our suitcases and not in hand carried luggage. Thanks for the information. If other have experiences please keep posting.

We use a 6 or 8 bottle styrofoam shipping box and check it in as luggage. It is delivered to our state room without a problem.

We tested the policy on our Galaxy cruise in July.We were able to bring wine [4 bottles]aboard in our hand baggage at the start of the cruise.The scanners were Italians and not ship people.I believe this was the reason.Not a word was said.At Mykonos our dau-in- law brought a bottle of wine aboard with no problems.My wife tried to bring a bottle aboard at Santorini and was caught.The wine was return to us the last day of the cruise,but it was returned in time for us to still ice it down and have our glass of wine on the balcony before dinner.Nothing was lost.

Don't know what to tell you.

good info, helpful. We will do an experiment and see where it goes.

Just please please please make sure you have packed any glass bottles extremely well as the last you want (or anyone else wants) is alcohol on their clothing!

I guess that is why I carry mine on....but I am also waiting to hear what people say about success with that.

Last week, DH walked onboard with a box of beer in Alaska and no one said a word. We took six bottles of wine onboard and paid the corkage fee ($15) each night for dinner. Every day we gave a bottle to our room attendant to take to the dining room. No problems. The one night that we forgot to give our attendant a bottle before dinner we carried the bottle to the dining room ourselves. Again, no problems.

Of course, now I'm wondering what everyone is going to do with all the duty-free liquour you buy in the Caribbean or the ship's store. What a pain to have to check it, but I'm assuming that even unopened liquours will not be allowed on the planes as carry on.

Becky

We use a 6 or 8 bottle styrofoam shipping box and check it in as luggage. It is delivered to our state room without a problem.

Which ship and sailing date?

I was at a trade show yesterday and stopped at the X booth to express my dismay at this new policy. They totally blew it off as being not enforced and that passengers should have no problems bringing a few bottles aboard if they are over 21. He said the new policy was to prevent the under 21s from getting drunk. As I have not personally seen under 21s drunk on X ships, I was a bit surprised.

I am going to bring a half dozen bottles aboard Century in 10 weeks and see what happens!

We usually put our liquor in our hand luggage for the flight. When we get to port (usually stay a day), we transfer it to our our checked luggage. Never had a problem.

this could present a problem for you on your next trip with the new security measures. Just wanted to bring that up before someone tried it with a $80 bottle of scotch:eek:

We packed 6 bottles of wine, one bottle of rum and a dozen assorted nips in our checked luggage for our two week Baltic cruise (8/26 departure). Wrapped each in bubble-wrap we bought at Staples. Made no attempt to hide it from x-ray or anything. Had absolutley no problem--just brought the bottles to the table, paid the corkage fee. Had interesting conversations with our wine steward about our choices (Three Blind Moose Chardonnay, etc.). Also bought two bottles in Helsinki, brought back on board in my husband's back-back. Again, no attempt to hide anything from the x-ray machine. And again, no problem at all.

I guess that X was looking to scare cruisers to follow corporate rules and had no intention of changing the enforcement policy. They just wanted to P--- off those cruisers who feel it is their right to have a bottle in the room and not pay $60. So much for making happy passengers.

We just returned from a 12 day Med. cruise on the Princess and brought on 6 bottles of California wine, a bottle of grey goose and a bottle of Gin, without one problem. Plus every port we brought wine, and sent it thru the scanner, without a second glance. Brought to dinner, paid corkage and enjoyed the wine of the land! We will be cruising on Celebrity for the first time this March to the Panama Canal, and was worried that we would not be allowed to bring anything on, adding about $500.00 to our bill for buying alcohol. We do buy drinks on board as well, but enjoy our own on the balcony. Appreciate all the info!.

We just returned from a 12 day Med. cruise on the Princess and brought on 6 bottles of California wine, a bottle of grey goose and a bottle of Gin, without one problem. Plus every port we brought wine, and sent it thru the scanner, without a second glance. Brought to dinner, paid corkage and enjoyed the wine of the land! We will be cruising on Celebrity for the first time this March to the Panama Canal, and was worried that we would not be allowed to bring anything on, adding about $500.00 to our bill for buying alcohol. We do buy drinks on board as well, but enjoy our own on the balcony. Appreciate all the info!.

Great info. I leave for the Med in 7 day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to buy wine in the ports and bring it aboard in my backpack. I see from your posting that it should be okay.

Thanks!

Archived