For Those Recently Back: Bringing Liquour Aboard

charlielinda

We just returned from a 12 day Med. cruise on the Princess and brought on 6 bottles of California wine, a bottle of grey goose and a bottle of Gin, without one problem. Plus every port we brought wine, and sent it thru the scanner, without a second glance. Brought to dinner, paid corkage and enjoyed the wine of the land! We will be cruising on Celebrity for the first time this March to the Panama Canal, and was worried that we would not be allowed to bring anything on, adding about $500.00 to our bill for buying alcohol. We do buy drinks on board as well, but enjoy our own on the balcony. Appreciate all the info!.
But Princess isn't RCI and so far Princess hasn't changed their policy but I am sure it is coming soon. I know many have been successful at smuggling the booze on, one of these days they won't be. None of us like what is happening, they have a captive audiance and can pretty much do what they want, so it seems you have 2 choices: buy their booze or take a chance of getting busted, removed from the ship (pretty unlikely) or have it taken from you. NMNita

But Princess isn't RCI and so far Princess hasn't changed their policy but I am sure it is coming soon. I know many have been successful at smuggling the booze on, one of these days they won't be. None of us like what is happening, they have a captive audiance and can pretty much do what they want, so it seems you have 2 choices: buy their booze or take a chance of getting busted, removed from the ship (pretty unlikely) or have it taken from you. NMNita

Actually, the Princess board posters have commented that the new passenger documents restrict wine and champagne to one bottle per person at port of embarkation only.

After that video makes the rounds, I expect more steps will be taken to limit alcohol.

I guess all us unhappy smugglers will reluctantly switch to Princess. Then all we have to worry about was bringing our coffee pots on board.:)

My bet is that they will relax their new policy eventually. But, I understand the new policy. I just like having Greek/Italian wine. I understand the wine list on board isn't fantastic:rolleyes: . I will roll with it. If they take it from me, they do. I won't try again.

Which ship and sailing date?

I was at a trade show yesterday and stopped at the X booth to express my dismay at this new policy. They totally blew it off as being not enforced and that passengers should have no problems bringing a few bottles aboard if they are over 21. He said the new policy was to prevent the under 21s from getting drunk. As I have not personally seen under 21s drunk on X ships, I was a bit surprised.

I am going to bring a half dozen bottles aboard Century in 10 weeks and see what happens!

If you beleive that I have some desert land to sell you right here in NM. They are doing it for the same reason they stopped letting you buy it in the duty free shops and take it to your room, it is a combination of bucks and law suits, with bucks being at the top of the list. That is why they put the policy into affect and then raised the price of bar sets ups 50%. If they are like NCL it will take them awhile before they totally crack down. NCL started the no liquor policy about 5 years ago, but just in the last few have they totally enforced it. Believe me, RCI/Celebrity will also one of these days. NMNita

If you beleive that I have some desert land to sell you right here in NM. They are doing it for the same reason they stopped letting you buy it in the duty free shops and take it to your room, it is a combination of bucks and law suits, with bucks being at the top of the list. That is why they put the policy into affect and then raised the price of bar sets ups 50%. If they are like NCL it will take them awhile before they totally crack down. NCL started the no liquor policy about 5 years ago, but just in the last few have they totally enforced it. Believe me, RCI/Celebrity will also one of these days. NMNita

It was obvious from their quick response that this announcement has been unpopular with X passengers. Both DSMs were quick to respond with the same thing. Does their answer count when I am boarding the ship? No, but it says to me that X is aware that this is a stickler.

And, IMO, the passengers on these two lines are a bit different in what they are looking for in a cruise. I do not think it illogical to make different rules for different products. X needs to behave like a premium line if that is what they want to be.

I vote with my vacation $$$ and don't like the policy so do not plan to book another cruise with them. Actually, cruising is fast loosing its luster for me personally. I am tired of bigger and bigger ships with more and more people and more charges for everything that used to be included. I am also tired of the ever diminishing lack of respect for dress codes. The things I most liked about cruising barely exist anymore. I will stick with the occasional luxury cruise every couple of years, otherwise, will cruise only when work is the reason.

So, no, I take what they said with a grain of salt but am going to pack a suitcase on this trip, booked one year ago, and see what happens.

It was obvious from their quick response that this announcement has been unpopular with X passengers. Both DSMs were quick to respond with the same thing. Does their answer count when I am boarding the ship? No, but it says to me that X is aware that this is a stickler.

And, IMO, the passengers on these two lines are a bit different in what they are looking for in a cruise. I do not think it illogical to make different rules for different products. X needs to behave like a premium line if that is what they want to be.

I vote with my vacation $$$ and don't like the policy so do not plan to book another cruise with them. Actually, cruising is fast loosing its luster for me personally. I am tired of bigger and bigger ships with more and more people and more charges for everything that used to be included. I am also tired of the ever diminishing lack of respect for dress codes. The things I most liked about cruising barely exist anymore. I will stick with the occasional luxury cruise every couple of years, otherwise, will cruise only when work is the reason.

So, no, I take what they said with a grain of salt but am going to pack a suitcase on this trip, booked one year ago, and see what happens.

I hope you are right, but I fear we will all have to live with what these changes. I don't think Celebrity will enforce this across the board right away. BTW we were busted in San Juan on the Connie 4 years ago, trying to bring hard liquor on; they even tried to take the wine, but backed off. We were not the only ones. They had someone sitting outside the ship. This was also the case on the Zenith last Dec leaving, of all places Key West. They were checking all carry ons. yes, some that cruise Celebrity have a different attitude than those who cruise other lines, but as a TA I can assure you not all my cliants can or will spring for the luxury lines. As for the things we used to love about cruising gradually disappearing, you are so right about that. It isn't the same vacation it was 20 years ago, but the world isn't the same either. NMnnita

I just disembarked from Zenith today.

Because of this new policy--we brought NO wine with us abroad like we might usually. BIG MISTAKE.

Two couples we spoke to brought both wine and liquor in their carry on luggage, which was xrayed. No problems. Nada.

One couple actually brought 7 bottles with them!

I am sure many others brought wine/liquor abroad with them, and no one I had spoken too had even heard of a change in policy. No confiscation that I heard.

We just returned from the 8/25 Galaxy cruise. At one port, I saw one person being questioned about the bottle in their bag when they went through the screening. I didn't stay to see if they were allowed to take the bottle with them or not. We flew British Airways on our return to Los Angeles. When we checked in for our flight in Rome, they told us we were not allowed to put wine or olive oil in either our checked or hand luggage.

We just got back (9/15) from Mercury Alaska and had no problem bringing alcohol in our checked luggage. I had packed and checked through the airport three Rum Runners flasks with vodka, cranberry juice, and a mixture of Bailey's/Kahlua/Amaretto for coffee drinks. No problems and no spillage. In Seattle we bought a 1.75 ltr of Skyy vodka and packed it in a large suitcase with two ziplock bags and tons of bubble wrap around it. Checked it through with no problems. We also bought a Bon Voyage package just in case we lost our stash and we had a Sky Suite- don't know if this matters. Just don't do anything stupid and you won't have any problems. :cool:

Thanks for all the comments. Let's keep them coming in so folks will know what to expect. In particular I'm looking for comments about bringing liquor aboard in your checked luggage.

I'm thinking that when we arrive in Tampa we can buy some liquor and pack it in our checked luggage (very carefully) and should have no trouble. My husband loves having a drink in our room before dinner!

Just off the Century 9/15 - We took a bottle of rum on board in checked bag packed in original metal case plus in a large zip lock bag - No problem.

In Le Havre we returned with a sampler of Cavados, again no problem.

In Portugal we came back on with a bottle of Mustcal - again no problem

Both times the bottles were in plastic sacks even with writing stating bought at wineries - went right through the xray and we were not stopped.

We actually brought them home in checked bags in zip lock bags and got here without any problems.

Francine

When I look Celebrity's web site, they have a FAQ section, which brings you to their "Alcohol Waiver and Acceptance of Responsibility - International":

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Celebrity Cruises is 21.

For complete explanation of our Alcohol policy, please click on the link below.

· Alcohol Policy http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Alcohol%20Waiver%20_Celebrity.pdf

This policy is an alcohol waiver for parents to authorize Celebrity to serve alcoholic beverages to their minors, not an alcohol policy for adults. Therefore, Adults can still bring wine and champagne on board (not alcohol such as vodka, rum, whiskey, etc), just as anyone was allowed to do so in all past Celebrity Cruises. Seems based on these postings of people bringing wine on board is 'no problem-o.' However, I don't think it's right to smuggle hard liquor on board.

Keeping an eye on this thread.

When I look Celebrity's web site, they have a FAQ section, which brings you to their "Alcohol Waiver and Acceptance of Responsibility - International":

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Celebrity Cruises is 21.

For complete explanation of our Alcohol policy, please click on the link below.

· Alcohol Policy http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Alcohol%20Waiver%20_Celebrity.pdf

This policy is an alcohol waiver for parents to authorize Celebrity to serve alcoholic beverages to their minors, not an alcohol policy for adults. Therefore, Adults can still bring wine and champagne on board (not alcohol such as vodka, rum, whiskey, etc), just as anyone was allowed to do so in all past Celebrity Cruises. Seems based on these postings of people bringing wine on board is 'no problem-o.' However, I don't think it's right to smuggle hard liquor on board.

Keeping an eye on this thread.

And the .pdf also states that guests, regardless of age, are not permitted to bring any alcohol aboard, for personal consumption or other use.

I don't read it that way - the document is a waiver for minors. If it were applicable to EVERYONE on board, they should stipulate that.

Also, It states they have the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

They also use the terminology "alcohol" which wine, beer, and champagne is not "alcohol". "Alcohol" are things like vokda, whiskey, gin, rum, ...

I don't read it that way - the document is a waiver for minors. If it were applicable to EVERYONE on board, they should stipulate that.

Perhaps you should read the entire policy.

RCI as a company set a new policy as of 7/28/06.

From the Celebrity website:

"No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption on board."

Seems clear to me.

Also, It states they have the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

They also use the terminology "alcohol" which wine, beer, and champagne is not "alcohol". "Alcohol" are things like vokda, whiskey, gin, rum, ...

I think you're reading the alcohol policy very selectively. Also, your definition of "alcohol" as excluding beer, wine and champagne is not correct. Here's a quote from the FAQ about corkage fees:

"Please note in accordance with our Guest Alcohol Policy Policy our guests may not purchase liquor ashore for consumption on board. Beer, Wine or Spirits brought onboard by our guests will be placed in storage and returned on the last day of the voyage. Alcohol purchased in our onboard shops will be delivered to the guest stateroom on the final day of the cruise."

If the term "liquor" means beer wine and spririts to Celebrity, then it would make no sense for the term "alcohol" to exclude beer, wine and champagne. Additionally, your definition of alcohol also makes no sense since beer, wine and champagne are alcoholic beverages.

Now, as I explained in another thread, recent changes in relevant FAQ's may permit passengers to bring wine aboard at embarkation. This may have been wishful thinking on my part but I am encouraged by reports in this thread and will bring wine onboard at embarkation in November.

This has nothing to do with minors: No liquor means what it says, including wine and beer. Hard liquor would be something else, but it refers to no liquor. NMnita

Here is the official response I recieved a while back and posted. I shall do it again for those who refuse to acknowledge the policy:

For alcohol in general including spirits:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry. We apologize for the delay in our response.

>

>Guests shall not be allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption

or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from

the Shops On Board shall be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms

on the last day of the sailing. For back-to-back guests, alcohol purchases collected

during the guest's first or second cruise vacation will be delivered to the

guest's stateroom within 24 hours prior of final departure from the ship. Security

may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) and

will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

>

>Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

>

>Clara Rodriguez

>Customer Service Representative

Specifically for Wine and Champagnes:

"Hello David,

Sorry about the earlier confusion. Vendors are authorized prior to sailing by Celebrity

and the port agents. If you have a wine request, you must first send us an e-mail

with the exact brand, type, and amount of bottles requesting. If we cannot fullfil

you order you may then hire an outside vendor to deliver to the ship. We will verify

this vendor then send approval if they meet all criteria. All wine not sold onboard

Celebrity is subject to corkage fee of $15.00.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity!"

The new 21 policy, simply puts X on the same playing field as the other major cruise lines where the minimun age for consuming all alcohol including beer and wine which MGRB doesn't consider to be alcohol ( Its a Texas thing). The waiver is for parents who are travelling with 18 years olds or above that will grant them access to beer and wine only, no mixed drinks. In the past X punched a hole in the seapass to show the minor was allowed to purchase these beverages.

Hope that helps!

Dave:eek:

Archived