Sun vs Jewel

NJLVW

If you had a choice between Sun AC western or Jewel AD eastern caribean which would you choose and why? I am having the hardest time deciding. Been on Sun loved the ship. Never been on Jewel looks beautiful. Not sure I want to go out of NO. Jewel is out of Miami..Help...

Thanx in advance...

I've also been on the Sun -- to Alaska - and agree that it's a beautiful ship. We're scheduled for the Jewel in November, so I can't offer you any comparisons, at least not yet.

Which ports are you more interested in seeing? We're going with the Jewel because we've already been to the Western Caribbean twice, and we want to try the Eastern. I'd base my decision on that.

Wow. I am contemplating the same thing! Perhaps its because there aren't that many NCL 7 day cruises anymore.

I'm looking to cruise this winter and I like the ports better on the Jewel than the Sun. I also like that the Jewel leaves out of Miami which for me is a direct flight from New England and cheaper than flying to NOL. I think you can get a better room for the money on the Sun, I don't know but it seems the Jewel is more expensive for a nice suite for our family.

I was on the Sun last year in an AC. Its a fabulous suite but choose a cabin that is not on the 8th floor if you plan to be in your cabin at all trying to sleep in the evenings between 8-midnight. Those suites are right over the main theatre and the speakers are mounted directly underneath the rooms. It gets so loud during the shows, so loud the room and the floor vibrate. It was horrible trying to put my young children to bed in the evenings. If I didn't have my young kids my husband and I would have been out and about the ship between 8-midnight and we never would have known there was a problem and never would have been bothered. We even talked to the Hotel Director and he acknowledged the problem. He said they had just spent a great deal of money trying to soundproof those rooms but he reealized that wasn't even enough. Again it was a great suite in general just a nightmare during the big performances in the evenings when the sound comes so loud thru those speakers.

I realize I am not much help with your decision. I look forward to other replies on this thread.

Are you traveling with Kids?

Does size matter?

We've been on both the SUn and Jewel. I enjoyed both very much. I think our kids prefered the Jewel because it was bigger, brighter, better kids programs including more modern Kids Crew events... plus the waterslide was nice. We loved the staff on the Sun and thought it was more intimate. Food on both were great. We enjoyed the Jewel enough to book the Pearl for our next cruise (first without kids) but if the itinerary looks good on the Sun I'm sure we'd be happt to return.

I realize this isn't much help. If you could share more about your personal interests we could possibly provide more specific insights.

Tim

Did the Jewel in Dec and the Sun about a yr and a half ago, and am leaving on the Sun again tomorrow.

I've loved both ships. Jewel, of course is newer so has a bit better layout (although at times, in some areas, it was hard to tell the difference between the ships). Our family likes the "island" layout in the buffet on the Jewel rather than the "line" buffet on the Sun but that's not a biggie to the wife & I as we seldom eat in the buffets.

Jewel has what they refer to as the "Crystal Atrium" in the lobby area rather than the many storied atriums that many modern ships (including the sun) has. But after a couple days, I got to where I like the Crystal Atrium. We had BA cabins on both ships and they seemed identical. Except I prefer the "sectioned" off method they did the bathroom in (I know that's vague, but if someone sees it they'll understand). I can't speak to any differenced in the Suites on the 2 ships.

The Jewel has a Blue Lagoon dining room which was great for a quick bite 24 hrs a day and the fish & chips were great (although I've been told that the Sports Bar on the Sun has basically the same F&C now-I expect to find out Sunday). If you shop on the ships, another difference was in the ships "mall" areas. The Sun (as you know) is like many other ships with a traditional hallway with various shops along it. On the Jewel, it's more like a big open area with a flow to various merchandise items-sort of like one big shop.

We fell in love with the decor in the Tsars dining room on the Jewel but I can understand why someone would think it a bit over the top. I think I prefer the Bistro on the Sun, smaller and more intimate.

I wouldn't hesitate cruising either ship again, and expect that I will sail both. As for east or west, Miami or NOLA, to me those are both questions everyone would need to answer for themselves.

have a good one

-Monte

Our general finding, and I'd be interested in other's opinions, is that for the most part, the Eastern Caribbean itineraries tend to be more expensive then the Western Caribbean.

We ran into the same thing -- the pricing on the Jewel, which is a newer ship, was more expensive than the pricing on the Sun. I don't know if it's just the age of the ship coming through, but I noticed the same thing on other cruise lines too.

Thanx for the quick replies. I have to make this desicion quickly. I have not been to Western although I haven't been to these islands in Eastern either except St Thomas.. I love St Thomas..So that said it doesn't matter. The ship is the big thing and are the 2 rooms comparable.. I guess different would be good.

Miami is less as well I too am coming from New England. Less flight time. Now NCL isn't sure they can get me a pre nite..

Thanx everyone

We are 2 adults traveling with no children. I am not sure they have NO back together. I suppose I just need to make this decision. I just enjoy being on a cruise I guess the itinerary isn't as important as the ship..

I'm contemplating the same thing............Except likely a mini-suite on the Jewel.............

Thanks for all the replies - I'm leaning toward the Jewel........ not sure why exactly...... :)

To me, the nice thing about this choice is that there is no bad choice.

:)

-Monte

We sailed the SUN May 2002 to western caribbean and the Jewel November 2005 to the eastern caribbean.

Both were great, but I would have to say that we liked the eastern caribbean itinerrary better. The ports were nicer, more picturesque and a lot more to do for everyone in the family. The shopping is great in both itineraries (if that is your thing) We found it very easy to do all ports (e.carrib)on our own and no language barrier.

If you are in to diving Cozumel is great, BUT St.John's was awesome, as well and was even better because we rented our own inflatable boat and dove on our own--no cattle boat.

Either one that you decide on will be great!

Western Caribean still has some negative affects from the hurricane and is still recovering. It is coming back but slowly. The best attraction in west is Stingray City for me and after Crocidel hunters incident I'm not sure how I would feel about getting in the water with thousands of stingrays...scuba diving in Mexico was good.

Eastern Caribean is my personal favorite. I love St. Marteen and St. Thomas. I buy all my jewelry there and the beaches are to die for!

I have been on the Sun twice and the Jewel once: Food is better on the Sun (I know it is about the same, but I do think it is a little better) Jewel has Blue Lagoon, Sun doesn't; Staff the same, helpful and friendly on both: I happen to prefer the eastern Caribbean over the Western. I think it is prettier, the islands are a little different from each other and even if you are not a shopper, the shopping is far superior in the Eastern Islands. If you are a snorkeler or diver the western would be better.

I think I would take the Sun, but as Monte said: there is no bad answer here. NMNita

I love both ships and I would be happy with either cruise. There is a big difference between an AC on the Sun and an AD on the Jewel. Both are great aft facing cabins but the AC is much larger, two rooms, luxury whirlpool tub, and a very large balcony.

The AD on the Jewel is a great cabin but not as large, standard mini bathroom, much smaller balcony.

AD

wwwnorjewel202.jpg

AC Balcony

815424690_9076balcAC.jpg.800b9ecaaa1b7489d5cd9118e789777b.jpg

Been on the Sun 2x's and the Jewel 1x. Although they have their differences I do like the Jewel better. Bigger, better layout, more variety and the water slide is not just for the kids! No, it's not a big one and only about 2/3 the size of a Carnival slide but if you know how to get your speed up on the slide it's a riot. The food is comparable (good to great for the most part with only an occassional...yuck thrown in) and the service is typically average to out of this world attentive.

The one thing you don't mention is the length of cruise you are looking at. If you are comparing a 7 day cruise the Western is better IMO (love Belize-cave tubing and Cozumel-eastern side of the island dune buggy trip). If you are looking at a little longer say the 9 day hands down I would jump on the Eastern (I just absolutely love Barbados).

Thank you everyone.

Once again Shoreguy thanx for your imput & pics..

I decided on the Sun.. Western Caribean. I have not been to these islands. I have been to eastern several times. Although I love St Thomas I want to see something different. Islands I have not been to. I guess it also came down to the catagory & room. I do get more on the Sun. I do love the aft. And being me I wanted the bigger room & balcony..OK Ok I wanted the wirlpool tub. hehe.

So.. I booked for March 07.

Thank you again,

Happy cruising...

Thank you everyone.

I decided on the Sun.. Western Caribean. I have not been to these islands. I have been to eastern several times. Although I love St Thomas I want to see something different. Islands I have not been to. I guess it also came down to the catagory & room. I do get more on the Sun. I do love the aft. And being me I wanted the bigger room & balcony..OK Ok I wanted the wirlpool tub. hehe.

Thank you again,

Happy cruising...

Have a great time: you should really love her as much as before and it is fun to visit new islands.

NMNita

Thank you everyone.

Thank you again,

Happy cruising...

And you will being a little good for NOLA. One other picture I scraped off the boards.

1676045824_9076lrAC.jpg.96c72755f69a837709a2e13d88c9579b.jpg

That's the exact room we had when we last cruised on the Sun. You will LOVE that cabin! The sofa is a tad bit hard...feels like you are sitting on a plank of wood hard (it's a fold out bed)....but other than that we loved that cabin. Great big balcony, great closet space, and the bathroom is heaven. Just remember in a little bit of rough seas don't fill that jacuzzi tub too high....it will slosh out without any problem (if I remember correctly there is a drain in the floor of the bathroom just is case that happens). DH had some sore muscles one day and decided a nice hot bath would loosen him back up....he had an adventure in the tub instead and it wasn't filled too high either because he figured that would happen and it did. LOL :)

These boards are so wonderful. Thanx for all the import. It is amazing how we each have different opinions. Whats important to one means nothing to someone else.

Going to NO will be helping them with getting tourism back. That does make me feel like I am helping. We will go a day early to see the city. Well at least French Quarters. Glad I made the decision.

Now, I have to start planning what we will be doing.....

Is it March yet??

Archived