Cruising with NCL in South America

S&B

I am looking into a cruise to SA in February of 2008. Can any of you give me some of your experiences (good or bad) using NCL with this itinerary. Did you feel that the ship was to small going around the horn? Did you think that the penguin excursions were up to par? I have also looked at Celebrity and Princess. Princess is a 12 day and NCL, a 14 day, docks at two additional ports that Princess does not. One port is at Puerto Madyrn where there is a very good penguin colony from what I understand.

I believe that in 2008 NCL is using the Dawn for SA. We are looking at a cabin with the balcony. NCL does have a better price than the others but I am concerned that maybe they do not have the same docking privileges because of their size.

Thanks for any help. :) We used the NCL Wind going to Alaska once.

I think you will find that it is the NCL Dream which is cruising South America in 2008 - the sister ship to the Wind. The Dream is taking over the South America itineraries from the Crown which is leaving the fleet.

Unfortunately, I've yet to sail to South America so can't comment on the itinerary but I'm sure others here will be able to help.

I've been to the penguin colony at Puerto Madryn, very nice.

My South America cruise was on Celebrity Zenith, a 14 day probably very similar to yours.

Big ships don't do this itinerary on any cruiseline. The bottom stretch of Argentina in particular can be very rough, but we were lucky on our trip.

If you have the available vacation time, think about extending your vacation with an additional land stay at Argentina and/or Chile. You can get a whole lot done in even just an extra day or two in Buenos Aires, and Vina del Mar in Chile is nice too.

I am looking into a cruise to SA in February of 2008. Can any of you give me some of your experiences (good or bad) using NCL with this itinerary. Did you feel that the ship was to small going around the horn? Did you think that the penguin excursions were up to par? I have also looked at Celebrity and Princess. Princess is a 12 day and NCL, a 14 day, docks at two additional ports that Princess does not. One port is at Puerto Madyrn where there is a very good penguin colony from what I understand.

I believe that in 2008 NCL is using the Dawn for SA. We are looking at a cabin with the balcony. NCL does have a better price than the others but I am concerned that maybe they do not have the same docking privileges because of their size.

I cruised the Dream to SA in March 2002. LOVED IT! The Dream is one of NCL's smaller ships but I thought perfect the the SA itinerary. We were usually the only ship in port that day. Went to Punto Tumbo on our own in Puerto Madryn and it was great. Thousands upon thousands of penguins. Thought Puerto Chacabuco wasn't a good stop. Only had to tender in the Falklands and Puerto Chacabuco. Did a great trip to Vicente National Part in Puerto Montt and got some great shots of Mt. Orsuno. I probably spelled most of that wrong. LOL Also had the best king crab of my life at Sotito's in Punta Arenas. I highly recommend this itinerary no matter which line you choose.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for the confusion. It is the Dream. I got the two "D's" mixed up. Some place on the board there is a discussion about this topic that took place about a year ago but I cannot find it.

We want to spend a day or two in Chile or Argentina, maybe both.

Thanks again.

I cruised the Cape Horn itinerary from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on the Crown back in 2000 (before Freestyle was adopted), so my experience shipwise won't really help you that much. But I can say that it stands as one of my favorite cruises. Lots to see (fjords, glaciers, penguins, rheas, etc.). I would highly recommend visiting the Punta Tombo penguin colony. It was great to walk among the thousands of penguins there. The penguin colony at Otway Sound (I'm pretty sure that was the name) was also worthwhile but there weren't nearly as many penguins there.

I spent Christmas/New Year on Crown doing the Cape Horn itinerary and stayed 2 nights either end at the Sheratons in Santiago and Buenos Aires as part of the package with NCL.

Excellent time...definately recommended as long as you don't get bored with incredible scenery, weather that goes from 90+ to around 30 and the occasional choppy sea day.

:D:D

Archived