Maya Palms Resort In Majahul

Rasta Pirate

I was at the Maya Palms resort this past Feb and had a great time. I'd highly recommend it. I did a dive out on the reef, saw some great fish and one huge ray. The family stayed back, enjoyed the fresh water pool, played on the beach and then we all enjoyed their cruisers special lunch and beverages. It was like having a private resort away from the cruise ship. I'd highly recommend it.;)

Is this theplace that is advertised by Island Marketing LTD. as the "Costa May Beach Break and Resort Getaway Excursion"? Is is true that the taxi's are $20 per family of 4 each way? Do you think that it's worth the money (including cabs about $150 for family of 4)?

Thanks,

Patti

any recent experiences with this resort? does the $32 inclusive include any food/snack? I know the description through Island Mkting states that it incl drink, chair, shade, kayak...but, after reading through some posts it seems that some have been offered food/snack as comp.

Any recent activity?

• 2 weeks later...

The Maya Palms is a little piece of heaven on earth. We were there last summer and had the whole place to ourselves for a few hours. It is just beautiful there. We did our shopping after our trip to Maya Palms before boarding the ship that evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the price of the cab changes to Maya Palms Resort if the cab is full? What I am wanting to know is if the fare will be $20 round trip per passenger even if there are 4 people in the cab? I would think that you could negotiate the fare if you have a full cab......then again, we are not in our home town anymore.

Has anyone traveled with a full cab, and gotten a better fare than $20 per person???

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Just bumping this up and inquiring...

I've been to the Maya Palms before and had a fantastic time. The owners are gracious and wonderful. My group that time did the all inclusive eats and drinks. Some of us lounged by the pool and a couple went diving.

We are going to go there again this December with a group of nine, and I was wondering if anyone had been there lately. How are things looking post hurricane?

Thanks!:D

Just bumping this up and inquiring...

I've been to the Maya Palms before and had a fantastic time. The owners are gracious and wonderful. My group that time did the all inclusive eats and drinks. Some of us lounged by the pool and a couple went diving.

We are going to go there again this December with a group of nine, and I was wondering if anyone had been there lately. How are things looking post hurricane?

Thanks!:D

Can you PLEASE post when you get back. I have the same questions. I would love to go but haven't seen any recent reports.

Thank you SO much and enjoy yourself!

Can you PLEASE post when you get back. I have the same questions. I would love to go but haven't seen any recent reports.

Thank you SO much and enjoy yourself!

I sure will. I did speak to them and they remembered us, so that's awesome. Some friends went last year and gave rave reviews, so I'm expecting nothing less. I'm POSITIVE our experience will be great, I'm just wondering how the reef is after the hurricane.

I'll let you know.

Here is an excerpt from my post to my roll call thread. I thought it might shed some light. I spoke to Doug (one of the owners, and he was gracious as always. I'll be sure to post a full review upon our return. If you go, tell Doug the BeadBabe says hello!! And no, I'm not an employee or do I get anything....just a big fan of the place.

Hey Gang....just wanted to share our plans for Costa Maya with you. We plan to EXIT the port as quick as possible and head to the Maya Palms Resort!! We've been to this place a couple of times before and it's AWESOME! Parts of this post are borrowed from the CC main port info page.

CostaMaya-Port.jpg

Costa Maya is basically a swath of jungle that was carved out along the shoreline by the cruise lines. They’ve built a very nice “port stop” with all the typical port shops (Diamond’s International, et al), some cute little eateries, a large pool and a beach that is somewhat rocky but pretty nice. There is also a small fishing town called Majahual. There are assorted eats and shops there too, but it’s pretty rustic. To really see anything you have to get out of the port stop of Costa Maya and away from Majahual. AND REMEMBER...there will be THREE ships in port. So 6000 people and one little port!

Costa Maya Overview

If you build it they will come. Costa Maya, the newest port in the Western Caribbean, may be located on a peninsula but in effect it feels more like a private island created from scratch expressly for cruisers. Costa Maya is located on the Caribbean Sea approximately 100 miles south of Playa del Carmen and quite close to the border of Belize.

Costa Maya is what you'd expect if, say, Disney World decided to create its own private island in Mexico: a man-made tourism village with bars, restaurants, shops and pools at the ready. The faux village itself was created solely to woo cruise passengers and it has a myriad of facilities -- pools, restaurants, bars, shops and a small beach (though it's too rocky to swim). Since Costa Maya first began accepting cruise passengers in February of 2001, the developers have added a beach house and water sports area, which is actually well away from the main village and is typically used by cruise lines as a shore excursion option.

Beyond that? What's interesting is that in developing an entire destination out of scratch in a place whose only settlement was the nearby village of Majahual, 200 residents strong, the folks who created Costa Maya had to build everything. They worked with Coca-Cola to install water sanitation systems (and yes, it is safe to drink water within the Costa Maya confines). They built brick-paved roads and concrete cottages for the employees who pretty much all come from elsewhere and needed housing.

Majhaul.jpg

For travelers who just want to get into the "don't worry, be happy" mindset, the lure of Costa Maya can pretty much consume the day. Those who want to venture further have intriguing options, too. The region is home to some lesser known (but still important) Mayan ruins. The site most cruise passengers come here to see is Chacchoben, a city dating back to around 350 A.D.

Another place worth visiting beyond Costa Maya's boundaries is the seaside village of Majahual. Once a simple haunt for fishermen, now there are seaside huts serving fresh ceviche, lovely white sand beaches with shallow surf (perfect for families) and way, way too many entrepreneurs selling the usual souvenirs.

If Costa Maya -- and Majahual -- feel shiny new these days it's because they are. In August 2007, Hurricane Dean, a five category storm, came ashore here and created much havoc and destruction. In Costa Maya. The port, which was closed for 14 months for rebuilding, required cosmetic facelifts for its restaurants, shops and pools. The Uvero Beach Club, which was totally destroyed, was completely rebuilt.

In Majahual, residents took advantage of the terrible hurricane to rebuild and improved the village's appearance in the process. New is a gorgeous 1.5 mile beach promenade with restaurants and shops alongside.

Costa Maya welcomed its post-Hurricane Dean cruise ship in October 2008.

Currently, Costa Maya can handle at least three ships, resulting in more than 6,000 visitors per day.

BeadBabe’s Suggestion

Maya Palms Resort

Here is a cool video of the place http://ads.bonniercorp.com/SPD/mayapalms/

(Borrowed from the website)

CostaMaya-MayaPalms.jpg

Are you ready for the ultimate day on the beach? Come to our Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway located only 6 miles south of Mahahual. If you are looking for the perfect day on a sun drenched beach with aqua Marine Oceans where you can sip delicious frozen tropical drinks while basking in the sun, this is the place for you.

Our Palapa Beach Bar is the location for many crew members who have experienced all locations time and time again. They favor our beach due to the relaxing atmosphere and its great party vibe. Sample some of the local flavors. Try a Sol and XX the best Mexican beers. A shot of tequila is in order, after all, you are in Mexico for the day!!!

Costa Maya offers beautiful tropical beaches, brilliant coral, multitude of tropical fish and our Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway located on one of the best beaches in Mahahual. The Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway offers the chance to relax on the beach, an open bar, snorkeling tours, a chance to play and shop in local stores in town, a great restaurant, friendly staff, and the bar is widely known as the best beach bar on the Costa Maya.

Maya Palms Beach Resort is an ideal adventure for family and friends. Get away from the crowds to a quiet, tranquil beach brimming with palm trees and ancient sea grapes.

Maya Palms Beach Resort: $32US per adult:

• Open Bar Included!!!
  • Opens 9am until the last ship leaves port
  • Private Beach
  • Beach Chairs
  • Pool Access
  • Restrooms/Shower
  • Shade
  • 30min Complimentary Kayak Rental
    • For those of you whom are looking for a little more adventure, we offer a 1/2 hour complimentary kayak rental. Paddle along the coastline, view the beautiful Barrier Reef and see tropical fish swimming below you or explore the endless virgin beach!

MayaPalms3.jpg

Maya Palms Beach Resort Day plus Snorkel: Only $45.00US

Our Costa Maya Snorkeling Excursion offers a great way to see the best of Mahahual and Costa Maya, both above and below the water surface.

Our snorkeling tour departs from a picturesque resort located just a few kilometers south of the busy cruise ship town of Mahahual. Our tour takes you away from it all to one of the best snorkeling areas along the Costa Maya reef where you will see an abundance of tropical fish and the best coral formations on the coast.

A quick 5-10 minute journey by boat will transport you to the snorkeling site, a pristine coral reef that boasts spectacular Elk Coral, schools of brightly colored Blue Tangs and a multitude of species of tropical fish. Spotted Eagle Rays, stingrays and sea turtles frequent this site so keep your eyes open!

Following your snorkeling adventure you will return to our exclusive beach resort where you can lounge around the fresh water swimming pool, take a stroll along the endless virgin beach, enjoy the facilities and relax in a true Tropical Paradise. The Resort offers a full bar and restaurant with an excellent menu and an abundance of tropical drinks.

All the Resort Day Features (add $10 for open bar) plus:

• Reef Snorkeling Tour by boat
  • Snorkeling Gear

MayaPalms4.jpg

Maya Palms Beach Resort Day plus CERTIFIED Dive: Only $85.00US (Certification Card Required!)

Maya Palms Beach Resort Day plus DISCOVER Dive: Only $95.00US (Certification Card NOT Required, but you will be !)

Dive with the #1 Scuba Diving operation in Costa Maya along the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world!! Our Beach Resort and Dive Operation is located only 5-15min from some of the best dive sites in the world! This area of the Meso-American Barrier Reef offers an endless mountain range of coral reef, with numerous finger formations providing vast canyons and incredible diving.

Our dives take you to a depth of 50-80ft along an endless mountain of coral, where Turtles, Spotted Eagle Rays, Moray Eels, Nurse Sharks, spectacular sponge formations, and a vast variety of colorful tropical fish await you.

Our dive boat departs in the morning at 9:30am and returns after the first dive for a relaxing surface interval at the Resort. This will allow you time to order lunch from the restaurant or lounge by the pool or on the private beach. The boat departs at 12noon on the short journey to your second dive along this incredible barrier reef. There is also a 2:30 departure so in case your ship arrives too late for the 9:30am dive you can take the 12noon and 2:30pm excursions.

Following your second dive you will be brought back to the resort where you can enjoy the rest of your day at this incredible location. Walk along the deserted palm fringed beach, or enjoy the tropical drinks available at the bar or simply relax on the beach or by the fresh water swimming pool. The choice is yours!

All the Resort Day Features plus:

• 2 boat dives for CERTIFIED (tanks/weights included)

(Rental gear: mask/fins/snorkel, regulator, bc available for rental)

• 1 boat dive for DISCOVER (gear included)

Your Scuba Diving Certification Card will be requested prior to diving unless you are on the 'Discover Diving' excursion. Please have your card with you! We recommend bringing sunscreen, towels and an underwater camera. Book early to insure availability.

MayaPalms5.jpg

Lunch Options:

• Lobster Platter add $20: Includes a succulent Costa Maya lobster tail, Mexican style rice, guacamole and chips. (Not available March to June)
  • Shrimp Platter add $15: Includes 3 skewers of grilled shrimp, Mexican style rice, guacamole and chips.
  • Mexican Platter add $10: Includes 3 Cheese Quesadillas, Chips, Nachos, Chicken Taco, Guacamole and Salsa
  • OPEN BAR: add $10 to snorkel or dive packages (open bar included on beach resort only package)

Our group of nine has already booked, so if you are interested, just contact the Maya Palms directly. Just google Maya Palms and their website comes right up.

Also, it's easy to get to, but the port people don't really like that you are leaving the port. There are "inner cabs" and "outer cabs". The inner cabs will ONLY take you to the places sanctioned. So you have to walk OUT of the port area to catch the "outer cabs". (Look at the picture at the very top.) You'll see the port area, then in the back you'll see the turn around. You walk down the one way street out of the port area, and there are YELLOW outer taxi's waiting.

Don't be swayed by the hawkers telling you they will take you...they won't...they'll take you somewhere else. When you get to the outer taxi area, tell the drivers the Maya Palms. The charge should be $20 for a group of 4 in one taxi each way. BARTER if they try to charge you more! Once you GET to the Maya Palms, Pedro will come out and tell the driver when to come back and pick you up so that you will get back to the ship on time. AND most importantly, he tells the driver that you will pay them when they come BACK to get you...thus assuring you have a ride back and ON TIME!

Believe me, they WILL get us back to the ship on time!! They are wanting cruise ship passengers, so you can be sure they will get us back promptly.

I docked in Costa Maya last March and just out of curiosity fom reading these boards decided to venture into Majahul and then onto Maya Palms.

Here's what I found:

As suggested I walked thru the Costa Maya terminal to the exit and bought a ticket to Majahul. I asked for a TAXI but was told the only way was by BUS so I accepted.

A large tour type bus arrived at the exact time they said it would. Everyone onboard was going to Majahul but there were several drop off points. Having done my homework prior to my departure I knew exactly where I wanted to go. ( definitely recommend you do this).

Once I was in Majahul I found the taxi stand (on the main street) and asked how much to it would be to get to Maya Palms. Neither mexican drivers I was talking to seemed to know what I was talking about. So I simply said "SUPERVISOR" and a manager of some sort came over to assist.

Once they figured out where I wanted to go we were on our way for $25USD one way. The ride was rather long out into the jungle and was VERY bumpy as we drove thru several HUGE potholes along the way on the dirt road. I started to wonder if I had made a mistake taking this trip on my own as we drove further into the jungle and hadn't seen anorthrer car or person for quite some time. But then as we came around a bend in the road I saw the piramid from the Maya Palms website:-)

Thehe manager came out to greet me as we pulled up to the entrance, and then suggested I ask my taxi driver to wait for me. After seeing how far it was out here I agreed that would be a good idea.

The taxi driver agreed to hang out there until I came back to him for a roundtrip toal of $50USD. Still I felt it would be worth it not to have to worry about being able to get a cab back to the port so I complied. Then the manager offered to give me a tour of the property. We walked down a cobblestone path thru a tropical garden and onto their pool area. Then climbed the steps to otheir observation deck at the top of the pyramid. What BEAUTIFUL view!! (definitely a "kodak moment" so remember to bring your camera. The pool area was very nice (and quiet) and I saw several drive tanks lined up near the pool and the dive boat at the shoreline ready to board their passengers.

I can't speak for the food or drinks at Maya Palms but can say that it's definitely a nice place and the beach water looks very clear, calm, and turqoise blue.

1768733798_CostaMayajungle.jpg.6ca8cf224f970f1af20080f06fb53c60.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We just booked a diving/beach day at the Maya Palms Resort for our cruise ship stop on the 8th of December. Would love to share a taxi with someone else that is going. The owners told me that the costs were the same regardless of having the 2 of us or having 2 more. Let me know if anyone is interested. We are going on the NCL Spirit and will be there at 1000am according to the ship's schedule.

Mike

Hello,

We just booked a diving/beach day at the Maya Palms Resort for our cruise ship stop on the 8th of December. Would love to share a taxi with someone else that is going. The owners told me that the costs were the same regardless of having the 2 of us or having 2 more. Let me know if anyone is interested. We are going on the NCL Spirit and will be there at 1000am according to the ship's schedule.

Mike

Mike

I'm sure you've done this...but just in case...did you post in your ships Roll Call thread? That's a great place to get some interest.

BeadBabe

Mike

I'm sure you've done this...but just in case...did you post in your ships Roll Call thread? That's a great place to get some interest.

BeadBabe

Right after I posted here I went to the Roll Call page and did the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!!

Just back off NCL's December 13th sailing of the Jewel! One of our ports of call was Costa Maya, and we arranged for a day at the Maya Palms resort. Here is the original thread for my plans:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22563219&postcount=84

This was yet another lovely day at the Maya Palms!!!

My group of 9, plus 6 more cruise critic friends that we made along the way and just adopted, plus another 8 from the cruise critic board that joined us at the resort set out for our adventure in Costa Maya!

We began with our usual walk off the ship at the dock and march thru the port shops and restaurants. Much as changed at the port and things are easier to manage. Now the yellow cabs are allowed just out side the gate, which now has a paved street that is lined with even more shops. No more walking the gauntlet of armed guards passed barb wire fences down the dirt road to the yellow cabs.

The "white cabs" are port cabs. The "yellow cabs" are the local cabs. The white ones take you to "authorized places" and the yellow ones will take you anywhere else. They were easy to get to now and very organized. They sort of have a self selected leader that asks how many in your party and where you want to go. From that info they select a car or van to suit your needs. Make sure you NEGOTIATE before you enter the cab. Get a set price for the vehicle and cram as many as you can inside. We had a 10 passenger van that we stuffed with 13 of us for $60 each way. Also make sure that you tell the driver when to pick you up, and pay him for BOTH ways AFTER he picks you back up and drops you off at the port. Remember these guys know they have to get you back on time, or they lose money. They won't let you be late.

The ride to Maya Palms was very interesting. So much has been rebuilt since Hurricane Dean, and even more has been rebuilt as Costa Maya is discovered by more and more travelers. The driftwood signs and dirt road to Majahual is paved now in many places, with numerous bright and colorful direction signs. Many many new businesses are under construction, so numerous small quaint beach clubs will be open soon. We drove on thru it all though to the Maya Palms Resort.

It was just as we remembered and so much more. The welcoming staff and charming Mayan architecture just made me grin. There were many new improvements here as well. The palm overheads are all replaced with more permanent construction now in theme with the rest of the resort. Very nice restrooms, and improved pool area and outside covered deck are just some of the new things we encountered.

The day was overcast, so not the best for sunning but Doug had arranged for a couple of massage therapists to come out and many of our group enjoyed outdoor massages!! It was wonderful!

Then another group of us had arranged for a dive. There were some slight issues here, but nothing that ruined our day. My suggestion here is, to make SURE you arrange with Doug the time you are going out ahead of time. We were waiting for some snorkelers that never showed up, causing our dive to be delayed. It's easy for them to be on Mayan time, but the rest of us have a schedule to keep...so keep on them a bit about that. Now that being said, the dive was very nice. The reef here is largely undisturbed, and although not pristine from the beating of the hurricane, the fish were a plenty!! The sponge, fans and coral were amazing too. Due to the overcast day the colors weren't as bright, but there was a ton to see. The dive shop itself is pretty plain but well stocked with whatever equipment that you'll need, if you didn't bring your own. We took a small motorboat out to the dive site, and went right down. About 3/4's thru our dive, one in our group decided to end the dive early. This was ok with me, as I had had trouble clearing my ears, so I was ready to go as well. Doug offered to have the boat take the two of us back, and remain with the other two divers to continue. We all decided to go back, but I was very impressed with how Doug was able to surface, signal the boat and get us all picked up and safely back to the resort. I think it says a lot about someone when the plan changes, how they adapt. The snorkeler’s said their time in the water was great too. Even at the surface, the visibility is soooo good; there were all kinds of life to see.

Once back, we all enjoyed a nice Mexican style lunch of everything from rice and beans, to lobster. The drinks were pretty good too, especially the Bahama Mama, affection ally called the "Mama Mia" by our group! LOL! The food was very tasty and the drinks were worth the $10 "open bar" charge. My only constructive comment here was that they were a bit understaffed that day and could have used an extra pair of hands, or at least someone orchestrating the food and drink production. I think I'll offer my services to do just that to Doug the next time we are there!!!

Be sure to take some time to:

1) Climb to the top of the pyramid and take in the view. This is the highest spot in Costa Maya, second only to being on top of your cruise ship. The view is incredible.

2) Actually leave the resort area and walk the beach. This stretch of beach is still largely untouched. It's very natural with wind shaped palms and lots of sea grass, but it's natural and rustic beauty beats a manicured beach any day in my opinion.

3) Sneak a peek at one of the little casitas that speckle the resort grounds that you can rent by the week. They'll give you ideas for future longer stays.

4) Try to get Doug to tell you his story of reconstruction and construction. It will make you appreciate how easily things are done here at home.

5) Get OUT of the pool and go swim in the ocean. Wow....

6) Try out an afternoon siesta in one of the new hammocks.

This was a wonderful day with wonderful friends that I hope to repeat again.

Best to you in 2010!

BeadBabe :cool:

Archived