Advice on where to stay in Seward

cruis'n sus'n

We were very happy with our hotel, the Hotel Edgewater. The staff was very friendly, the room comfortable and we were happy with the price as well. They're downtown, as opposed to right at the port, which we preferred. Best of all, they are across the street from the Sea Life Center, which I loved so much I can't wait to go back.

There are many places to stay here...downtown, small boat harbor, north and south of town. Will you have a car? elderly? kids? cost a factor? and the month?

A couple of my favorites...Alaska Saltwater Lodge..out of town but right on the ocean.

Seward Waterfront Lodge, Northern Nights B&B, Sea Treasure Inn and Swan's Nest all within 2 blocks of downtown and the Sealife Center.

Closer to boat harbor yet quiet neighborhood and a nice big house is Falls Inn B&B.

Let me know if you want/need more ideas.

http://www.seward.com/directory.htm

Thanks' date=' Nancy...I'm cheap, too....I just checked the prices on the Holiday Inn Express, and it was over $200 per night...Wish we were going together on our land trip and cruise, because I think we have alot of the same ideas..Susan[/quote']

Thank you for the compliment, Susan! When are you cruising?

Yes, that Holiday Inn IS pricey. The harbor view w/balcony room that I reserved using Priority Club points is going for $269/night. :eek: That's why we're NOT paying for it!

I have read some trip reports here that raved about the Ballaine House B&B in Seward: http://www.superpage.com/ballaine/

Nancy...We are flying in to Anchorage on May 31, 2007...Renting car from June 1-8...Get on ship June 9-16...Then 2 days in Vancouver and 1 day in Seattle....Fly home June 19...Hope to be able to do the 'loop'...We are working on it....

I will check out the Ballaine House BB...Thanks, Susan

Susan, Here's another thought: We stayed at the River Valley Cabins, outside Seward on Old Glacier Road. Since you will have a rental car they are a great option. Adorable cabins right in the middle of gorgeous secluded woods/very tastefully decorated. Each cabin has queen size bed w/ roll-away if needed. There's a breakfast nook w/ coffee/pot with an assortment of coffee/tea. The website: rivervalleycabins dot com.

Earlier this season my daughter (who has been working for Princess on their trains) made a visit to Seward and loved staying at the Swan's Nest at the recommendation of Glacier Lady. She thought it was a great place to stay and so close to everything.

One thing is for sure...where ever you stay in Seward...you will love the area! So much to see and do!

Back a week ago............stayed at the Ballaine House because of the RAVES I've read on here for the year before we went.

It was wonderful; just so you understand you share a bathroom.

Marilee DOES, in fact, do your laundry for you if you so wish.........while you are out touring.

She is a wealth of information and she sells you entrance tickets at HER price, passing on what she would earn by having them available.

It's a wonderful place, close to the Marine Center, Museum, etc........an historic place.

She cooks just what you might want for breakfast............you can use her computer to check your e-mails...............she will book tours, etc. for you.

P.S.

She loans you her car :) and she will pick you up at the train station and/or deliver you there for your trip if you have no wheels.

You really feel at home..........very nice if you've been on the road for a while.

It was $100.

Great breakfast.............

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. always available...........:o

• 2 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn Express in Seward usually goes for $200-$260/night plus taxes in the summer. You need 10,000 Priority Club points per night to get a free room. You can buy up to 20,000 Priority Club points/year for $10/1000 points. So for $200 you can buy 20,000 points and book a stay at this hotel for two nights for $100/night. Of course you need to be sure that there is room using points before buying the points but it seems pretty easy to me to get this hotel for half price or less just by purchasing points!

I have American Express points that I can transfer, but now I am wondering if I should save those 20,000 points for something better and just pay $200 for two nights here.

The Holiday Inn Express in Seward usually goes for $200-$260/night plus taxes in the summer. You need 10,000 Priority Club points per night to get a free room. You can buy up to 20,000 Priority Club points/year for $10/1000 points. So for $200 you can buy 20,000 points and book a stay at this hotel for two nights for $100/night. Of course you need to be sure that there is room using points before buying the points but it seems pretty easy to me to get this hotel for half price or less just by purchasing points!

I have American Express points that I can transfer, but now I am wondering if I should save those 20,000 points for something better and just pay $200 for two nights here.

I never thought of buying Priority Club points because we have them, but it IS a good deal! I must say - this particular Holiday Inn Express during the summer is one of the better uses of Priority Club points! We booked a harbor view room with balcony - which would cost $269/night if we were paying. If it were a corresponding Marriott property - it would surely require 20,000 Marriott points per night, as the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage does!

I never thought of buying Priority Club points because we have them, but it IS a good deal! I must say - this particular Holiday Inn Express during the summer is one of the better uses of Priority Club points! We booked a harbor view room with balcony - which would cost $269/night if we were paying. If it were a corresponding Marriott property - it would surely require 20,000 Marriott points per night, as the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage does!

NancyIL, you must be lurking around this board more than me! Thanks for your thoughts. I am probably going to get a harborview balcony room too. Just trying to decide whether to use my AmEx points or buy $200 in points. I am leaning toward buying $200 in points because I can use my AmEx points toward first/business class tickets (used 45,000 AmEx points for my first class ticket next summer to AK that would have cost $1500 in economy or $2200 in first class).

NancyIL, you must be lurking around this board more than me! Thanks for your thoughts.

Let's just say...I have a lot of free time on my hands! :) Notice that when Budget Queen isn't around, this board moves much more slowly!

So - you think you will go this route rather than wait for the Ballaine House B&B to open up 2007 bookings?

Let's just say...I have a lot of free time on my hands! :) Notice that when Budget Queen isn't around, this board moves much more slowly!

So - you think you will go this route rather than wait for the Ballaine House B&B to open up 2007 bookings?

You have a good memory! I might take this even though it is twice the price of Ballaine House (if I buy points). Nice thing is that at night I can use the internet, which for me is a big plus. My work is such that if I am gone, it doesn't get done. So I basically travel a lot and work a bit while I travel. The pool might be nice too though not essential. And it might be a treat after camping for 3 nights at Wonder Lake in Denali NP.

In the back of my mind, I am thinking, "What if Ballaine House doesn't have room when I book?" I am gone immediately after Thanksgiving (HI for $340 round trip!) when Marilee apparently will start taking reservations. Plus, I can't reserve Katmai NP until January 5th. So too many 'unknowns' is making me a bit unsettled!

You have a good memory! I might take this even though it is twice the price of Ballaine House (if I buy points). Nice thing is that at night I can use the internet, which for me is a big plus. My work is such that if I am gone, it doesn't get done. So I basically travel a lot and work a bit while I travel. The pool might be nice too though not essential. And it might be a treat after camping for 3 nights at Wonder Lake in Denali NP.

In the back of my mind, I am thinking, "What if Ballaine House doesn't have room when I book?" I am gone immediately after Thanksgiving (HI for $340 round trip!) when Marilee apparently will start taking reservations. Plus, I can't reserve Katmai NP until January 5th. So too many 'unknowns' is making me a bit unsettled!

I understand wanting to have something concrete booked - even if you change your mind later. I have lodging booked for all 9 nights of our land trip. I have 2 nights reserved at the Best Western in Valdez, even though I think I would prefer to stay at the Copper River Princess Lodge a few hours north. Just waiting for them to open reservations, and hoping for a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon, too!

Another advantage of the Holiday Inn Express is that it's next to the small boat harbor, so you could practically roll out of bed to go on your 8:00 Kenai Fjords cruise!

After a very unfortunate night at Kenai Landing (in Kenai) we were able to score a last minute opening at Murphy's Motel in Seward, right across from the small boat harbor. Not fancy at all, but clean and neat, no smell of death in the bathroom, 2 actual beds with linens, and a functioning tv for the kids. :D Those were our basic requirements after a night at KL!

I broke down today and reserved the HI Express in Seward using 20,000 points. I think it was a good decision and two more nights of the trip now have fixed accommodations:)

It seems that the HI Express in Seward has a 2-night minimum for at least some dates next summer (part if not all of the first week of July anyway).

Archived