Transportation between Seward and Whittier

vfb2girls

Is there any type of bus transportation that will take us from Seward to Whittier? We will be renting a car for our land portion of our trip from Anchorage and instead of doing a one way rental we were going to take the car back to Anchorage on the day of our cruise. We talked about just keeping the car and paying the one way rental but it was a difference of 520.00 so we went ahead and booked it both ways. Well now there is an opportunity that one of our firends will be in Homer the same time we are and will has offered to take back the car to drop it off in Anchorage but we would need to find another form of transportation to get us from Seward to Whittier since he would drop us off at Seward for our two night stay. Any suggestions woukld be appreciated. Thank you.

Ouch! Thanks for the info but that is really expensive, I guess we will either have to switch around our itinerary or this other person will just have to find his own way back to Anchorage. Thanks once again.

Yes, it sounds high - but then the driver has a 1.5- 2-hour drive to Whittier from Seward, and then the drive back with the passengers. In your case you would be going the reverse direction, and maybe it would cost less if they had other passengers to bring back to Seward.

http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

This is another shuttle option. Frankly, this isn't the place to skimp. Having a direct transfer Seward to Whittier, makes the best use of your time. Only you can decide, if you want to be on the road backtracking etc, wasting valuable touring time.

Actually we will no longer need the transportation between Seward and Whittier, the person we are meeting in Homer will take the bus from Seward to Anchorage to catch his plane. BQ, we really tried to justify spending 1,046.00 on the one way drop off in Whittier but after much discussion we decided to go ahead and return the car back to Anchorage on our cruise day and take the Leopard bus tour back to Whitter, yes it is back tracking but with the two of us taking the tour it still is saving us a little over 400.00 and that money can be spent on some of the excursions we want to take on our cruise. Both my husband and myself have already decided that another trip to Alaska will be in our near future.

A cost savings for one way rentals, that I have used , is to just rent the one way car for as long as you need it. In the past, when I've cruised out of Seward, I've rented a round trip Anchorage car for a week or so. Then prior to my heading south, I turn it in for a one way Hertz car. Significant savings, if you need the car. Can change over the cars in an hour.

My "skimping" reference was really directed at the Whittier /Seward shuttle. I do try hard to offer the best touring advice for getting the most out of Alaska. I do think it is well worth the money. You certainly have to think several times with the very costly car rentals, a different story. Especially with Harley's out of business, keep an eye out for perhaps another independent??? It's not that far- Anchorage/Whittier, and their certainly would be a big market.

BQ, I too am hoping there might be another independent car company that will have a one way rental in Whittier. When Harley's went out of business it really put a damper on our touring plans. The one nice thing about this trip is that we still have time to look into other options, thanks for the suggestions.

Archived