Mountain driving--how hard is it?

cruisingw/mom

Overall, it isn't significant or severe "mountain" driving. NONE essentially in interior Alaska, unless you consider Hatcher Pass??? Even driving up to Chatanika Lodge out of Fairbanks is pretty tame. Take it slow on the Klondike Highway out of Skagway, won't be any problem. :)

I'm only basing it on my experience of driving, nothing to worry about in Alaska. NOW in 3 weeks I'll be in Ireland- Conner Pass- now THATS mt. driving. You have to back up if another car is coming, right on the edge, no guard rails etc etc etc- should be a blast. :)

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake is very simple (well, at least in summer - I wouldn't want to do it during heavy winter snows). There aren't very steep inclines or downslopes and the road isn't particularly wind-y. It was basically a nice drive in the country, NOT mountain driving.

We drove up the Klondike Highway 2 weeks ago. It was a very good highway, lots of pullouts, and plenty of guard rails. I was a little nervous, too, but really, there is nothing to be concerned about. It is a beautiful drive and the road is excellent, plus very little traffic. :)

The Highway into the Yukon from Skagway is not difficult driving at all. I don't think any reasonably capable drive will have difficulty.

The last time we did it, we did run into heavy fog over the top of the pass. Obviously you have to exercise great care in the fog just as you would anyplace!!

We love Caribou Crossing, and had a great lunch at Spirit Lake, just past Caribou Crossing before Emerald Lake.

To see our pics go to

Alaska Cruise with The Halls

Have you downloaded Murray's guide? There are lots of post on this board pointing to it ...

Have a GREAT cruise!

We just did the drive from Skagway to Carcross last Saturday. We are not used to any kind of "mountain" or "hill" driving for that matter. Even though we consider ourselves, "reasonably capable drivers", from our perspective as "flatland" drivers, we would definitely consider the road "wind-y". The drive up to the pass was pretty much white-knuckle scary for us even though it has a small shoulder and guardrails - it's just a looooooong way down from the edge. We had dense fog and rain which didn't help but once we got over the summit, it was still wind-y but not nearly as scary. The views are worth the tension created by driving. The speed limit ranges from 35 - 55 so going slower really helps. And the shifting to save your brakes on the way down helps if you've never done it before. The drive takes about 4-5 hours but the pictures are definitely worth it! And of course use Murray's Guide - it adds so much to the experience.

Archived