bermuda- oct 29

rooster4you

My wife and I are booked for Bermuda on the Explorer October 29th- she is scheduled to be going to Kings Wharf- can anyone tell me how far that is from Hamilton? Are there beaches in kings Wharf? What can you do there? Are you able to rent a car from Kings Wharf and drive to other areas of Bermuda? any help y'all can give me would be appreciated..

Good morning!

There are quite a few of us who will be aboard on the 29th. Come on over to the Roll Call Board. There's a lot of information there as well. It will be our first trip to Bermuda, but some of the information I've gathered is that from King's Wharf, we can take a ferry over to both Hamilton and St George and it only takes a very short time to get there. Hope to see you at Roll Call.

At Kings Wharf itself there are some shops and a glass making factory. The ferry slip is a very short walk from the ship and will get you to Hamilton in 20 to 35 minutes depending on whether you catch an express or a local. You can also take buses, which also stop near the dock, to one of the beaches or into Hamilton. There are also ferrys to St George.

Bermuda is actually quite small, and the ferrys and buses are the best way to get around. Visitors are not allowed to rent cars because they have too many problems with driving on the left. You can rent a moped, but unless you're experienced with them, you're better off sticking with the bus and ferry.

Here's a picture of King's Wharf I took from my balcony on Explorer in July.

4d4easw.jpg

There is also a maritime museum at Kings Wharf which charges $10 admission - however, for that price, you can also go over to where they have the dolphin swim. Even if you don't do the (somewhat pricey) swim, you can sit on benches and get quite close to the dolphins and take photos while the participants are swimming. One of the trainers even came over and answered our questions - well worth the price of admission. There is also a man-made beach (Snorkel Park) within an easy walk from the ship. Not as nice as Horseshoe beach, of course, but quite decent with some water sports available. We were there last year and they were still working on it, so I'm sure it's much nicer this year.

Non-residents may not rent cars - buses and ferries are quite reasonable and can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. I don't advise a moped unless you are very experienced - remember, you will be driving on the "wrong" side of very windy roads. Couple that with trying to view scenery and it's a recipe for disaster.

Archived