NCL Sun Alaska Review, 9/2/06

photomikey

I posted my review of the NCL Sun to Alaska on the NCL board the other day. Here's a link, as well as a copy of the pertinant Alaska information. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=411143

Ports of call:

Ketchikan: Our Ketchikan tour (booked outside the ship) was canceled when some family members found out it ended at 2:30, and we were due back at the ship at 2:30. (It ended on the dock.) The four of them ended up taking a ship tour, and GF and I walked through town. This was one of the highlights of my trip – it is such a scenic town, with so much to see. The salmon were still running (a few, perhaps those with slow internal clocks), and being able to sit by the stream and watch (as opposed to snap photos out of a bus painted to look like a duck) was priceless. We shopped some, had a beer with some locals, saw Dolly's house, and read a lot of history. My Let's Go Alaska book had a tour of town, and some out of the way tips that we really enjoyed.

Juneau: On the uproarious advice of the members of this board, we booked the Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry) tour. Captain Larry drove our boat, but the annoying “Dirk” was on the mic the whole time. I felt the trip was overrated and overpriced, and if I had it to do again, I'd have taken the $6 bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walked around. That said, we did see a number of whales. It's much less impressive than I thought it would be. Four or five breaths (a cloud of mist and a blowhole sighting) and you see the tail peek up for two seconds. Then you wait for it to repeat. Because of the timing of the tour (it's 2.5 hours, it started 1.5 hours after we docked), and the early departure from Juneau – we didn't get to see anything else in town. The Tracy Arm shore excursion didn't run on our trip, but the big ship did get far enough up the fjord to see the glacier – only the 2nd time this season!

Skagway: Another highlight of the trip (despite the naysayers of this board) was renting a car from Sourdough, and taking the driving trip up to Emerald Lake. It was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few hours, and not feel like a camera toting tourist. Sourdough was just as ghetto in person as it was over the phone. I think I actually rented someone's car (as in, they leave it with Sourdough when they aren't in it), as it was fully stocked with bumper stickers, a national guard ID sticker, a bible and an assortment of other stuff. It had 191,000 miles (yes, count those zeros), but ran like new. $115/day (when you're the only outfit in town, you charge what you want), but we took a tour that cost others $120/each, and we didn't have to get on and off the buses like sheep. You will need your passport for this trip, as you do cross into Canada. Also, there is one gas station in town. The next one is 60 miles up the road. If you're looking for a gasoline bargain, look elsewhere.

Prince Rupert: The ship must stop here because it's a nice distance between Skagway and Seattle, because there is very little to do here. We shopped around and took a walking tour of town. You dock very close to a grocery story, so it's a good opportunity to pick up anything you may need. Everywhere in town TAKES American dollars, but gives you back Canadian ones, so carry small bills or use your credit cards.

I posted my review of the NCL Sun to Alaska on the NCL board the other day. Here's a link, as well as a copy of the pertinant Alaska information. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=411143

Ports of call:

Ketchikan: Our Ketchikan tour (booked outside the ship) was canceled when some family members found out it ended at 2:30, and we were due back at the ship at 2:30. (It ended on the dock.) The four of them ended up taking a ship tour, and GF and I walked through town. This was one of the highlights of my trip – it is such a scenic town, with so much to see. The salmon were still running (a few, perhaps those with slow internal clocks), and being able to sit by the stream and watch (as opposed to snap photos out of a bus painted to look like a duck) was priceless. We shopped some, had a beer with some locals, saw Dolly's house, and read a lot of history. My Let's Go Alaska book had a tour of town, and some out of the way tips that we really enjoyed.

Juneau: On the uproarious advice of the members of this board, we booked the Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry) tour. Captain Larry drove our boat, but the annoying “Dirk” was on the mic the whole time. I felt the trip was overrated and overpriced, and if I had it to do again, I'd have taken the $6 bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walked around. That said, we did see a number of whales. It's much less impressive than I thought it would be. Four or five breaths (a cloud of mist and a blowhole sighting) and you see the tail peek up for two seconds. Then you wait for it to repeat. Because of the timing of the tour (it's 2.5 hours, it started 1.5 hours after we docked), and the early departure from Juneau – we didn't get to see anything else in town. The Tracy Arm shore excursion didn't run on our trip, but the big ship did get far enough up the fjord to see the glacier – only the 2nd time this season!

Skagway: Another highlight of the trip (despite the naysayers of this board) was renting a car from Sourdough, and taking the driving trip up to Emerald Lake. It was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few hours, and not feel like a camera toting tourist. Sourdough was just as ghetto in person as it was over the phone. I think I actually rented someone's car (as in, they leave it with Sourdough when they aren't in it), as it was fully stocked with bumper stickers, a national guard ID sticker, a bible and an assortment of other stuff. It had 191,000 miles (yes, count those zeros), but ran like new. $115/day (when you're the only outfit in town, you charge what you want), but we took a tour that cost others $120/each, and we didn't have to get on and off the buses like sheep. You will need your passport for this trip, as you do cross into Canada. Also, there is one gas station in town. The next one is 60 miles up the road. If you're looking for a gasoline bargain, look elsewhere.

Prince Rupert: The ship must stop here because it's a nice distance between Skagway and Seattle, because there is very little to do here. We shopped around and took a walking tour of town. You dock very close to a grocery story, so it's a good opportunity to pick up anything you may need. Everywhere in town TAKES American dollars, but gives you back Canadian ones, so carry small bills or use your credit cards.

Thanks for your trip report! The ship has to stop in a "foreign" port when it leaves from Seattle - so it's usually either Prince Rupert Island or Victoria.

"On the uproarious advice of the members of this board, we booked the Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry) tour. Captain Larry drove our boat, but the annoying “Dirk” was on the mic the whole time. I felt the trip was overrated and overpriced, and if I had it to do again, I'd have taken the $6 bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walked around. That said, we did see a number of whales. It's much less impressive than I thought it would be. "

This past June I had a similar whale-watching bust on a tour I booked through the ship. But I also knew that was a possibility. I had hoped to be lucky enough to see Orca, breachings or bubble net feeding but there were only a few sleepy humpbacks.

I'd definately do it again though over any of the other excursions offered in Juneau. Probably with Harv and Marv since they are a smaller boat with many fewer people on board.

I was mostly shocked, after reading everything on these boards about how great Captain Larry is... how little he talked, and how little it mattered who was driving the boat. Essentially, there are a dozen whalewatching boats, and they follow each other around the bay, watching whales. Captain Larry didn't say much of anything, and I didn't feel like his operation was any different than any of the others. (How could it be?)

With no disrespect meant for people who love whale watching - that's probably not something we will do while on our cruise. Since we'll be on the water for a week - I don't particularly want to get on another boat (even though much smaller) to look for whales or other wildlife. We'll do that when our cruise ends in Whittier (Prince William Sound cruise) and in Seward at the end of our land trip (Kenai Fjords cruise). There are many things one can do in Juneau that don't involve being on the water.

I was mostly shocked, after reading everything on these boards about how great Captain Larry is... how little he talked, and how little it mattered who was driving the boat. Essentially, there are a dozen whalewatching boats, and they follow each other around the bay, watching whales. Captain Larry didn't say much of anything, and I didn't feel like his operation was any different than any of the others. (How could it be?)

I was wondering about that myself. I figured that maybe the difference was that Capt Larry might be more aggressive about searching out more than just the nearest whale (which was what my ship arranged excursion seemed to do). I'm sorry to hear that you were unimpressed.

But it also could have just been a bad day for the whales, with only those particular ones being in the area. I'm not sure when the humpbacks start thier migration back to Hawaii and points south for the winter ... maybe they had already started? :confused:

Chuckle, I've seen tons of pictures from fellow cruisers on this board to prove to myself that the whales actually do breech, bubble-net feed, etc ;) So I'm willing to give it another try. But I'm either taking Harv and Marv or seeing if there are fishing boats that I can charter to do just whale watching.

"was one of the highlights of my trip – it is such a scenic town, with so much to see"

heh, I didn't get to see much of Ketchikan. We were late into port and I had 2 long excursions booked (Fishing and Flight seeing) so I only got to see Ketchikan from the ship. I'll plan just one excursion next time so I can have time to roam the town.

Nancy, I can't help but agree. The only reason I took the Larry excursion was because it's so lauded on this board. That's why I wanted to be so vocal about telling people it's not as great as they've heard -- I think you'd be better served to spend the $6 to bus to the glacier.

Diz, if you're there when the salmon run, just walk to the creek and watch. Don't plan an excursion at all. There's a funicular in town, ride it to the top and walk down the creek. The best day I've had all year.

HMMMM --- Let me see:

You booked a whale watching trip.

You went on the trip.

You saw whales.

And you were very disappointed? UMMMM -- why? I don't quite get it.

All of the animal based excursions are careful to specify that animals are unpredictable. Some whale watching trips don't see any whales at all! So yours didn't jump through hoops and play "Dixie" on a bicycle horn?? Gee ...

>:-)

Nancy, I can't help but agree. The only reason I took the Larry excursion was because it's so lauded on this board. That's why I wanted to be so vocal about telling people it's not as great as they've heard -- I think you'd be better served to spend the $6 to bus to the glacier.

Diz, if you're there when the salmon run, just walk to the creek and watch. Don't plan an excursion at all. There's a funicular in town, ride it to the top and walk down the creek. The best day I've had all year.

This tour probably was not for you. What you saw is the basis of whale watches and it seems you had very unrealistic expectations. I post frequently that ALL you can expect is blows, backs and tails. NOTHING more. Breeching, bubble net feeding, lopping etc are all gifts and overall rare.

I am a frequent whale watcher, it certainly is not for everyone. But- it requires acceptance of these animals are water based and the more you go the more you see. I have been very fortunate to see most all behaviors, but the bulk of my trips are as you describe. I actually go out yearly with a research boat for 2-3 days and frankly, this is the only way you are just about guaranteed of seeing what you missed. Being out all of daylight- watching. :) I also frequently go out twice in Juneau, some operators charge 50% for the 2nd trip. I went on 4 trips last year. Completely enjoyed them all. Your post offers a frank valuable opinion.

Archived