Hotels in FLL

Cruisin2007

Hi! We're sailing on the Millie out of FLL in Feb. and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good hotel to stay the night before we set sail. Looking for someplace nice with a pool and restaurant since we'll be there pretty early in the day. Also hoping to be close to the cruise terminal.

Thanks so much for any tips!

In my past cruises, most hotels in FLL are not that far from the pier. After doing many different hotels from very expensive to budget, their are two that we like very much. The Lago Mar and the Riverside. Lago Mar is on the beach and was just featured in Rachel Rays FoodTV show about eating in FLL. The Riverside is right on Los Alos (?) blvd and has a great location (off the beach).

Both of these hotels do not have free shuttle service to the pier, but a taxi does not cost that much.

Other hotels we have stayed at are Pier 66 and Marriot Harbor Beach. Pier 66 is nice and has a great bar at the top of the hotel. Marriot is very expensive.

You don't say when you are sailing, but if you are sailing the first weekend in February you will have a hard time finding a hotel anywhere in south Florida as the Super Bowl is being held in Miami that weekend. The 3rd weekend in February is also problematic due to the President's Day holiday and the Boat Show.

If you don't mind being a 10 minute cab ride from FLL/ the Port, I'm going to recommend one of our local favorites. The Westin Diplomat Resort is gorgeous, on the ocean in Hollywood area. It has beautiful pools (one infinity pool with glass bottom), great restaurants and another good restaurant across the street (Nikki Marina) that super fun in the 'winter' when it's nice to sit outside. The beach there is great, and of course the rooms and beds are amazing. On top of that, you have shuttle access to their golf course/tennis/spa. If you can get a decent rate (e.g.,hotels.com) I'd highly recommend it.

The Riverside, on Las Olas, is nice, as another poster recommended; though not on the beach it's close by. And from there you can go to Chima, a beautiful Brazilian Rodizio down the street. And LOTS of great public beaches just east of the hotel, plus Las Olas is a cute area, and close to the Galleria Mall.

I've had good luck getting the Marriott Marina on Priceline several times. All time best price there was

$70! I like the tropical decor pool where I can lounge, have a drink and order lunch and never leave my chair. If you get the right room you can see your ship sail in.

There are fancier and more expensive hotels in FLL but this one is near the airport and the port and is walking distance to many restaurants, a liquor store and a grocery store. All the comforts...

If you are not familiar with using PL, FLL is one of the BEST cities to use it in. You can usually be pretty sure which hotel (s) you'll get there. Go to bidding fun dot com (w/o spaces) and you can get lots of hints on how to use PL.

:eek: Following last year's hurricane, the Marina Mariott was closed due to extensive damage. Marriott revoked the franchise and it now operates as "The Grande Hotel Ft. Lauderdale" After recent inspection, I can tell you the hotel renovations are incomplete, and the hotel smells musty and moldy. Choose The Renaissance, Embassy Suites, or Courtyard Airport/Cruise Port instead. Start your cruise off right.:)

I would avoid the older section of the Riverside. Stayed there a while back (January 2005) and was not impressed. Overpriced and small room, loud hallway and a permeating disenfectant smell.

Just the same, the property's location on Las Olas Blvd is great.

Hi - just had to get my $.02 worth in here. Avoid the Ramada Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport like the plague. Please go to www.tripadvisor.com for my review and several others. Mine is the 'I only give it one star...' review, and there is one new one reviewing it just as badly.:( :eek: :( YUK!

Dan & Judy

We stayed at the Ft. Lauderdale Marriott Marina (now called Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel) this past February, and although the hotel was being renovated, it still beats the Comfort Inn by a mile. The grounds and pool area are lovely and we didn't notice any moldy smell. Regardless of where you decide, just know you will probably pay top dollar in February.

Any of you MIA or FLL folks know anything, good or bad, about the Marriott Courtyard Adventura? We are booked there for a March sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

I grew up in Aventura, and am a VERY frequent Courtyard customer b/c I travel for work. You will be very comfortable at the Courtyard in Aventura. It's nice, very consistent with their other locations. And I just received an email that they're in the process of upgrading the bedding in all of their hotels!

I'm sure you know that Aventura is about a 15 minute drive to the airport and port, but it's such a great little area. You will be across the street from Lohmann's Plaza, that has a nice bistro (Prezzo's), a sushi restaurant and Chef Allen's, one of the top restaurants in South Florida. You'll also be right next to the best discount store in town to shop for shoes! I literally drive 45 min down there just to go to the DSW for shoes. (well, and to visit my family, of course) And speaking of shopping, Aventura is fantastic. You should definitely leave extra room in your suitcases.

I'm sorry to hijack the OP's thread with this answer, so if you have any more questions about this hotel, please feel free to email me, or start a new post, and I'll be happy to answer all.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with earlier poster about the decision to close revolving restaurant...but even without it, this is a great place to stay for getting in the cruise mood (especially if you're like us and escaping the snow).

Grounds are beautifully landscaped...and the linai rooms (ask for a renovated one) have balconies that open into blooming, tropical plants. The pool is huge, as is the hot tub (must hold 30). Hotel isn't on beach, but on a lovely canal where million-dollar yachts anchor. If you follow that canal to a pier at the one end of the hotel grounds, there's a casual, fun little place on the second floor of a sea shop. Nice Mahi Mahi sandwich for $ 8. Usually live music (just one or two playing non-offensive music). And you can watch all the boats come and go...

We've also stayed on at Marriott Beach Resort...great but pricey (really good restaurant on-site). As is the Hyatt. We're big Priceline believers for pre-cruise stays...(If you're scared to bid, learn the ins and outs at a free user-driven site (like this) called biddingfortravel.com.

The Riverside - book a new room in the Tower - is my favorite. It is located direclty on Las Olas so you can walk to many shops and cafes. It is perfect for strolling. The pool is lovely and there is a very good restaurant on property.

It is also quite convenient to the airport and port.

Archived