Hotels in FLL

Cruisin2007

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation, FL. 10 miles from the port, with shuttle service to and from the airport and cruiseport. Much cheaper, for those of us that don't need or want a beachfront hotel.

Roz

Thus all I want is a shuttle/bed/breakfast before cruise... There is a Holiday Inn Express at the Cruiseport. Anyone know how far a walk it is to lug our luggage from there to the ship? Know it is a big place.

Hi Anthony, your best bet is a cab from the hotel to the port.

The port is not really "pedestrian friendly".

Walking with your luggage from your hotel to the ship just

isn't really feasible.

That Holiday Inn Express is in a good location. Not far from

the Airport and not far from the pier either.:)

(Probaby a 5-7 minute cab ride).

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation, FL. 10 miles from the port, with shuttle service to and from the airport and cruiseport. Much cheaper, for those of us that don't need or want a beachfront hotel.

Roz

us too, of all those I checked out it had the best reviews and the price was as good as it gets. For one night a beachfront isn't important and I like the idea, not only do they give us the shuttle service they will shuttle us to restaurants or whatever we need in the area. When we fly in a day early we are not looking for a resort or beach location;all we want is the shuttle service, a decent place to sleep and some form of breakfast. Hampton Inn offers all this plus I feel we can be safe, as we have only stayed at one Hampton Inn out of maybe 25 that wasn't quite up to what we expected. It wasn't bad but not quite as nice as some. NMnita

Last February, the family had a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. I did extensive research and in one of the cruise reviews, Tropi Rock was mentioned as an artistic and delightful little hotel off the beaten path.

I googled the hotel and it was the frog sounds that got me. Way cool place. We booked it and loved it. We got in on Saturday afternoon and did not leave the hotel until Sunday when it was time to board the ship in the afternoon.

LOVED IT !!!!

That being said... it was about 10-15 minutes taxi ride up north of the port so we did have to pay about $35 each way for transportation. I can't remember the limo servicee we used but they met us at the plane and they picked us up again on Sunday to bring us to the port. And low and behold... they remembered our return and picked up up again one week later to bring us back to the airport.:cool:

Carol

We are also staying at Embassy suites for thenight before the same cruise on the Constellation on February 9th.

Have you stayed there before? Can you tell us a little about it?

:)

Tony, Angie and Jane.

If you read the reviews on tripadvisor you will get a lot of good information.

There's a great little Thai restaurant tucked far in the back of the strip mall where Carlos and Pepes is located. Great food and you cannot even get in the place at lunch time because of all the locals that come in.

I personally prefer the Renaiisance over the Embassy but still feel that Las Olas is the very best place to stay if you really want to be in the center of things and still close to the port.

Carol

We are also staying at Embassy suites for thenight before the same cruise on the Constellation on February 9th.

Tony, Angie and Jane.

We've stayed at that Embassy Suites before a cruise on several occasions and would recommend it. If you plan to take their shuttle to the cruise terminal, let them know as soon as you check in.

Carol

Tony, Angie and Jane.

just a little info: we haven't stayed at that Embassy suites, but have stayed at several others and they are all carbon copies pretty much. They have water ponds or small water falls in the lobby, nice pools but not fancy, a managers cocktail time every evening with drinks a very light snacks (usually popcorn) and full cooked to order breakfast. It isn't quick like going to a restaurant, but certainly better than nothing. the will offer fruit, juice, pancakes, cereal, toast, bacon and sausage plus potatoes and you can order your eggs cooked whatever way you choose. The rooms all have living areas with sofa beds as well as bedrooms with 1 or 2 beds. Hope this helps some. NMNita

Hi Tony,

We haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale, but we've stayed there in other locations. We like the cocktail party in the evening and the breakfasts are great.

The last time we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale, we stayed in the Amerisuites right up the street from the Embassy Suites. It was okay, but I think the Embassy Suites is a step up.

I'd stay at whatever hotel is close to the airport and the cruise terminal if it is just for one night. That way you can take a shuttle to the hotel and a quick taxi to the ship.

As for Ft. Lauderdale- the cruise terminal seems like two minutes from the airport! Might be just worth flying in that morning.

I'd stay at whatever hotel is close to the airport and the cruise terminal if it is just for one night. That way you can take a shuttle to the hotel and a quick taxi to the ship.

As for Ft. Lauderdale- the cruise terminal seems like two minutes from the airport! Might be just worth flying in that morning.

Nope.

Our experience with FLL is that it's a crapshoot; flights are almost always late and luggage delivery is a 50/50 proposition.

Planning to arrive the day of the cruise is a very, very bad idea!

Further, for those who arrive on a red-eye flight the morning of a cruise wind up drowsing and missing everything on board the first evening. Bummer.

Come in the day/evening before, and you get a good night's sleep, have your late arriving luggage delivered to you the next morning at the hotel rather than at the first stop of your cruise, get to go to the ship on your own schedule and Day 1 of your cruise is fun, not a drag.

Oh, of course if you are traveling that kind of distance you'd want to fly in the day before. That's for sure.

I am only flying from Baltimore. I take an early NS and even if I miss that one- they can put me on a latter flight that would give me plenty of time to board. In fact, this summer we flew out on August 10 which was the day of the thrwarted terrorist plot in London. My flight, as well as everyone in the country's flights was delayed 1 and 1/2 hours. I got to the ship at 3PM. So all was fine.

But I am not suggesting that everyone chance it. For me a hotel room, a missed day at work, etc. add up. I just have to risk it. But like I say, so far-so good.

Archived