Travel Insurance

mgasaway

Maybe my fellow CC'ers can make some suggestions. Usually we don't buy travel insurance (I know, we should) but for our February Elation cruise, since we will not be able to fly into Port Canaveral the day before ......and we are coming from Chicago.... in the dead of winter I have decided it would be a pretty good idea. Any suggestions on which company to choose? Has anyone had to make a claim with a travel insurance company? Any help would really be appreciated.

143 days to wait!!!

This is the first time we purchased cruise insurance too. I used insuremytrip.com. It gives you rates to many different companies.

That's what I did too. Ended up with Travelex Travel lite policy.

I see you are from Rockton. I have reletives out that way. A couple of cousins in Freeport and an aunt and uncle in Durand. Also an aunt and uncle in Orangeville.

Travelex is not the best choice in this situation because for a weather-related delay to kick in the trip interruption benefit it requires a full shutdown of your common carrier for a minimum of 24 hours. They do have a "missed connection" benefit of $500 but even that requires a 5 hour delay and if you miss the ship and need hotel rooms, meals, transfers, and a last-minute one way flight to some Caribbean destination the cost can easily exceed $500.

To compare, with CSA the length of time of the delasy does not matter as long as you were originally scheduled to arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to sailing.

Archived