First family cruise - booking question

gamommyof3

Hello everyone - we are planning a family cruise for mid to late July 2007 (I am soooo excited!) Anyway, ages of my children at cruise time will be 16 yo son, almost 6 yo daughter, and 3 yo son. I know I want to cruise Western Caribbean, but not sure which ship. Right now, I am leaning toward Freedom of the Seas. What is the first step to get a quote - where should I go to actually book? Do I need a travel agent? AAA? Royal Caribbean?

Also, should I book for two adjoining rooms, or a suite? I just don't understand the pricing that I see on the Royal Caribbean website and when I try to book (just to get an actual quote) it says I can't book for more more than 5.

Any help getting me started is appreciated!

Kathy

Hi, congrats on wanting to book a cruise! This is a very exciting time to be sure.

First off, you should know RC will not let you book more than 4 in a cabin online. You would need to call them to get pricing for 5.

As for booking directly or with a TA, that's a personal choice. I always book directly with RC since I am a control freak about my bookings. :rolleyes:

We have a similar age difference with our kids, but we have 2 teenagers so I book them in an inside cabin and book a js for dh and I and the 2 younger kids. Only you and cabin availability (and your budget) can determine what the best cabin choice would be for you. HTH

Royal Caribbean also has family cabins or suites but they can be pricey. They will sleep up to 8 people. The family suite we had in April on the Radiance had two bedrooms, two baths and a living room. It was great for the six of us.

With 5, you would probably need 2 cabins (at least for the 2 bathrooms), unless you book a family type cabin - which you would have to call RCL to do that. Just a note on the Freedom, it will be more expensive than one of the Voyager class ships for next summer (at least 400 more per person) - we wanted the Freedom too for our next June cruise, but opted for the Mariner because of the price. If you look on the RCL website, you can look at floor plans under each individual ship.

When you say layout, do you mean deckplans? If so, go to the RC website under 'find a cuise,' you'll find a link to go to the ships. Just select the ship you want (Freedom?) then click on "deckplans." Also, if you look under 'find a cruise,' you can find descriptions of all the different staterooms for your specific ship.

After I asked about the layout/deck plans I found them on the RC website - now I am really overwelmed. Thanks so much for the help, though!

What is a good level/deck to be on? I am guessing that the little ones will be in bed by 10:00 (hoping to use in-room babysitting), so I don't want a noisy room, and I've read that somewhere toward the middle of the ship is a good spot. Is a balcony worth it? I love the idea, just don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Peggy13 - thanks for the tip - Mariner was the other ship I was looking into. I didn't realize there was such a huge price difference. Is is less expensive to book 2 rooms, than to book a family suite? Also, is the price the same for every passenger regardless of age?

andnickali - just saw your post - I'll check that as well - it may answer some of the above questions!

Thank you to everyone!

Kathy

I like a deck that is "sandwiched" between two decks of cabins--don't like a lot of public rooms above or below me as noise can be an issue. Midship is definitely better if you are concerned about motion/seasickness. I like a balcony, especially if we have days at sea, but not everyone can afford one. You need to decide if the extra $$ is worth it to you. There are plenty of folks who enjoy their cruises in an interior cabin. We find we spend a lot of time in our cabin, so the balcony is worth it for us. Many people say they spend no time in their cabin and a balcony is a waste. Have you been on a cruise before? If not, it may be hard for you to know what things will be important to you.

As for pricing, all passengers are charged the same rate regardless of age. In other words, 1st and 2nd pay the full price and 3rd, 4th, 5th pay the same price. Age doesn't come into play. Often it can be less expensive to book 2 interior rooms than put everyone into a suite. You just need to price it out.

My best advice is to call RC and ask them to price the various options for you for the cruise you are interested in. Then you'll have a better idea of how much $$ you are looking at. HTH

1st, go to a travel agency and ask for a RCI brochure. (Tell them you're "thinking" of a cruise) You don't need to book with them to get the brochure, and it will show deck plans, itineraries, etc....

Read it!!!! All of it! It will tell you most of the answers to all of your questions!!!!

Next, pick the ship you want. Call RCI and get prices on adjoining rooms vs. suites.

Then book it!! It's easy!!

After you've done that, start looking for good airfare prices (if you need to fly to the port.) Book your air about 2 months out, for the best price. Bon Voyage!

I don't know if it was made clear to the OP that the first two passengers pay full fare, and then passenger 3,4,and 5 pay a reduced fare, but it doesn't matter if they are adults or children, it is the same price.

Also, the prices are the same whether you go through a travel agent or go directly with the cruise line. I highly suggest an agent if you have never cruised before. They can answer any questions you might have (hopefully) and will iron out any wrinkles that may come up.

Anoterh good reason to check it with a travel agent is if they have group spaces on any of the ships or cruises at the time you want to travel, you can get ship board credits or perks that you wouldnt get if you booked directly with Royal Carib.:) All so if you have problems that you dont know it how to handle your travel agent if theyre good will know higherups at Royal Carib. to call for help :) :)

Hello everyone - we are planning a family cruise for mid to late July 2007 (I am soooo excited!) Anyway, ages of my children at cruise time will be 16 yo son, almost 6 yo daughter, and 3 yo son. I know I want to cruise Western Caribbean, but not sure which ship. Right now, I am leaning toward Freedom of the Seas. What is the first step to get a quote - where should I go to actually book? Do I need a travel agent? AAA? Royal Caribbean?

Also, should I book for two adjoining rooms, or a suite? I just don't understand the pricing that I see on the Royal Caribbean website and when I try to book (just to get an actual quote) it says I can't book for more more than 5.

Any help getting me started is appreciated!

We are sailing the 24th on the Freedom. There are 8 total 4 kids, my dh, both my parents, and myself. We booked the PFS througha TA. My oarents Travel often, and She always takes very good care of us, and always got amazing deals. It was not cost effective for me to try and do more than one cabin plus my childern are 8,3, 21 mo,and 6 mo so I felt better about a suite.

The family suite was an option, but it was booked (by friends) on another sailing, and the PFS suddenly came available due to a cancelation, so we Grabbed it up, for less than what we were quoted for the 'o7 freedom cruise we orginally wanted to go on. Yeah!!! So I say a TA is the way to go!!!!

You may want to check out the Royal Family Suite. We love this configuration for our family of 5, kids aged 10, 6 and 4. It is pricey though and when I priced it vs 2 connecting balcony rooms, the connecting rooms were less expensive. The suite gives more room as well as 3 separate areas to encourage good sleeping for all who are grumpy when woken up too early by their brothers/sister!

One more point I failed to mention... connecting rooms or suites typically go first. If you have a particular cabin that you really want, you need to book early or check right at the last date for changes/cancellations (70 days out??) to get what you want. Also, children need passports for 2007 travel.

Thanks you everyone. I don't know any TA, but I'll start asking around. D any of you recommend one? You are welcome to email me, if so. I'm also about to call RC now and see what they have to say.

Now, I'm actually debating on which cruise 5 night or 7 night. I'll post a new thread on this topic.

Everyone is so helpful - thank you!

kathy

Cabin 8200 on the FOS is awesome. It is a Family Ocean View looking out the front of the ship. It has two separate bedrooms with a living room in the middle. It worked well for my family of five. My two girls ages 8 and 6 slept in the room with bunkbeds, and they were full size bunkbeds. My 20 month old slept in a crib in the living room, there was a full size pullout couch, but we haven't gone to a bed yet! My dh and I slept in the bedroom where there is a king sized bed. It says queen, but it was much bigger than our queen at home. There is only one bathroom, but it didn't bother us. It had 3 big port hole windows that looked out the front of the ship, and it was really quiet. We loved it!! I have pictures posted on webshots if you want to see it.:)

Cabin 8200 on the FOS is awesome. It is a Family Ocean View looking out the front of the ship. It has two separate bedrooms with a living room in the middle. It worked well for my family of five. My two girls ages 8 and 6 slept in the room with bunkbeds, and they were full size bunkbeds. My 20 month old slept in a crib in the living room, there was a full size pullout couch, but we haven't gone to a bed yet! My dh and I slept in the bedroom where there is a king sized bed. It says queen, but it was much bigger than our queen at home. There is only one bathroom, but it didn't bother us. It had 3 big port hole windows that looked out the front of the ship, and it was really quiet. We loved it!! I have pictures posted on webshots if you want to see it.:)

I did a search on Webshots for your Cabin 8200...but couldn't find them!...any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this is any help GAmommyof3 but we too wanted to go on the Freedom next summer. I had originally hoped for July but ended up booking early August and the price was better! (this is the only reason I switched)

This cruise will be myself and my wonderful hubby...and my two boys ages 15 and 12. I booked us in cabins #9696 and connecting to #9701. Its a balcony cabin to an inside cabin. We didn't have enough for a family suite and this way we get two bathrooms! Its quiet a nice configuration I thought...almost like a suite.

I'm so excited...my boys have no clue we are even booked...:)

have a great time,

Esmerelda

If you are looking for cruises for July next summer, yes probably most of the connecting cabins are taken. Usually, the triples, quads and family type cabins go first. As far as the Royal Family Suites, they are more expensive than booking two connecting or side by side cabins, plus they probably are already booked for next summer. We booked our next June cruise this past May and got choice cabins - with a family of 6, we have two side by side triple cabins (AFT). I also booked directly thru RCL.

Archived