Fun Ship Dollars

ALAngel

Today my husband called the Fun Ship Dollars department in order to buy the amount that we want to go onto our Sign and Sail card. We were going to request that the purchase be posted to our account as OBC instead of mailing it to our home address. (A suggestion we got from this board!) The Carnival person told DH that since we are less than 2 weeks away from our cruise that he would have to fax over a copy of his credit card (front and back); a copy of his drivers license; and a note saying they had permission to charge our card. Is this the normal procedure for this or was the rep. just bluffing to try to avoid the loophole? We haven't made the purchase yet because we felt this might be a bit too much info. to be faxing to an unknown number. Now we're starting to think that bringing cash to put on our sign and sail would be easier.

I just found an older thread that had a similar topic. It looks like I can just go through the gifts department at carnival's online site and put our cabin number in the address box to get the same outcome without giving up all the personal information. We may give it a shot. Here's a link to the older thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=326476&highlight=funship+dollar

Well that method didn't work. When I tried to add the purchase to my cart in the gift section it wouldn't go through. Next to my sail date in red it says "sail date is within 2 weeks from today" and it won't let me go any further. Looks like Carnival has caught on to this trick.

Today my husband called the Fun Ship Dollars department in order to buy the amount that we want to go onto our Sign and Sail card. We were going to request that the purchase be posted to our account as OBC instead of mailing it to our home address. (A suggestion we got from this board!) The Carnival person told DH that since we are less than 2 weeks away from our cruise that he would have to fax over a copy of his credit card (front and back); a copy of his drivers license; and a note saying they had permission to charge our card. Is this the normal procedure for this or was the rep. just bluffing to try to avoid the loophole? We haven't made the purchase yet because we felt this might be a bit too much info. to be faxing to an unknown number. Now we're starting to think that bringing cash to put on our sign and sail would be easier.

I am a big fan of purchasing the funship dollars between the time I book until just about 1-2 weeks before I leave and yes, this procedure is mandatory. I have faxed this information the past 2 years in a row, just before my sailing. It is perfectly safe and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you don't leave the fax machine until you have your confirmation page. Honestly, you should not have a problem with this and can call back about 30 minutes after you have sent the fax and they will be able to tell you that they rec'd it and that your credit has been added to your account.

I just found an older thread that had a similar topic. It looks like I can just go through the gifts department at carnival's online site and put our cabin number in the address box to get the same outcome without giving up all the personal information. We may give it a shot. Here's a link to the older thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=326476&highlight=funship+dollar

I could be wrong so don't quote me on this, but if you are ordering online, they will be sending you a certificate in the mail. You will bring that with you to the pursers desk when arrive on board and it will then be credited to your sail and sign. I'd be nervous that the certificate is not mailed to you ontime. I know it shouldn't take that long, but what if. If you have access to a fax machine you can just fax over the information that was requested and it will all be done in one day. You can call that same day for your confirmation number.

Yes, normally a certificate is mailed for the funship dollars. However, there were people in the older thread I posted who had success with it being added as OBC instead when the time was under the 7-10 days that it takes for those certificates to be mailed. We don't want the certificates we just wanted our S&S account to be set up ahead of time with cash. The online method did not let me go forward anyway since it's under the 2 week limit. We're not okay with faxing in that information so it looks like we'll just stand in line at the pursers desk when we get onboard. No biggie - we just thought we'd give the secret methods a shot.

Hey CruisejunkiE,

The number for funship dollars - (800) 906-7603

For some reason I have two different phone numbers for this department and I am not sure if it is because 1 was for group bookings and the other for individual so if for some reason that is not for individual bookings try (800) 794-6225.

The funship dollars will go directly to you s&s card so as soon as you arrive on board, you will see that the credit has been applied. I try to keep a list of confirmation numbers and date of purchase, just incase. So far I haven't had a problem. The only thing we came across last cruise was that it wasn't showing up correctly on the cabin tv, but when I went to the pursers desk to check, they had the correct amount. Sometimes those tv's are off...like when you are checking for the dinner menu and it is showing the menu for the wrong night.

You can also purchase bar credit - the coupons they give you do not expire so if you don't use them up, they can always be used for another sailing. The number for bar credit is - (800) 522-7648. This is called The Bon Voyage Department.

As far as Funship dollars, you can even put $25.00 on at a time. It's a quick phone call.

Hey CruisejunkiE,

The number for funship dollars - (800) 906-7603

For some reason I have two different phone numbers for this department and I am not sure if it is because 1 was for group bookings and the other for individual so if for some reason that is not for individual bookings try (800) 794-6225.

The funship dollars will go directly to you s&s card so as soon as you arrive on board, you will see that the credit has been applied. I try to keep a list of confirmation numbers and date of purchase, just incase. So far I haven't had a problem. The only thing we came across last cruise was that it wasn't showing up correctly on the cabin tv, but when I went to the pursers desk to check, they had the correct amount. Sometimes those tv's are off...like when you are checking for the dinner menu and it is showing the menu for the wrong night.

You can also purchase bar credit - the coupons they give you do not expire so if you don't use them up, they can always be used for another sailing. The number for bar credit is - (800) 522-7648. This is called The Bon Voyage Department.

As far as Funship dollars, you can even put $25.00 on at a time. It's a quick phone call.

We are getting married on the Conquest in October. If someone wanted to add money to our sail and sign card instead of getting gift certificates, can they call these numbers also and add money to our card?

oh, ok. That makes sense. So you can put a little $$ in here and there as a kind of savings account. My friend does this for christmas. Every time she goes by target or macy's she adds 5-10 dollars onto a running gift card. Then, around christmas, she has enough for her presents.

I am new to cruising. This'll be my first time. Why would I want to buy fun ship dollars? Why not just pay at the end?

You are right. Makes no sense to me either. If you have the money just keep it and pay it when you get there.

I buy fun ship dollars for gifts for friends that cruise.

If you are purchasing fun ship dollars and are more than two weeks out and want them applied directly to your s&s card in the first line where you would put your address you put your booking number in there- In a day or two you will receive an email confirmation stating that X amount of dollars have been applied to your shipboard account-

I know to some it does not make sense and other say put the money in the bank and earn interest, but for us personally it takes the bite out of it so to speak if we pay $100 here, $50 there as we book far in advance and usually have plenty of time to accumulate some shpboard credit - works for us:eek:

Archived