Diamond wants to try Millenium???

pepsicruiser

I have sailed on the Millennium twice and with Celebrity 6 cruises. As you can see by my sailing history below, we also enjoy RCI and other lines. I have never had a bad cruise. Each is unique and offers good and not so good features. My friend, a Diamond RCI cruiser, just returned from her 2nd. Celebrity cruise. She and her husband sail at least twice a year if not more; she will do 4 cruises in 2006 total. They aren't quite 50 yrs. old yet, no kids. Very down to earth people who do not drink either. They did not care for the "fancy food". They prefer just well prepared meat, vegetables and desert. Some people don't care for the "gourmet" presentation. While others enjoy trying something a little different. It really is personal taste. I would be sailing Millie again in 2007 to the Med, but I like going on different ships. Give it a try. It is worth the experience. They do go out of their way to please their passengers.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Go for it and before you do, call Celebrity and enroll in the Captain's Club. Because you are a Diamond C&A member you can enroll before you even take your first Celebrity cruise. Also, because you are Diamond, you will be enrolled as an Elite member of the Celebrity Captain's Club and eligible for whatever benefits are associated with that level of membership.:)

We were in the fortunate position earlier this year to sail on RCI's Brilliance only 6 weeks after sailing on Millennium. I wrote a detailed comparison between the 2 ships which you may find of interest:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=392725

Also, we sailed on Brilliance with our two 14 year old boys, who whilst they were not on the Millennum cruise, they have sailed previously on Infinity. Although they had a fabulous cruise on Brilliance, they both agreed that on balance they had prefered Infinity. In their opinion, the organised events were much better run on X, they also prefered the food on X.

Go for it and before you do, call Celebrity and enroll in the Captain's Club. Because you are a Diamond C&A member you can enroll before you even take your first Celebrity cruise. Also, because you are Diamond, you will be enrolled as an Elite member of the Celebrity Captain's Club and eligible for whatever benefits are associated with that level of membership.:)

Can you enroll even if you dont currently have a reservation??

I'm a long time RCCL passenger. I'm looking to try out Celebrity Millenium. Anyone out there have any pros or cons to tell me? Thank you

Hi, Pepsi - if you do a search, you'll find many threads comparing the two lines. You should also search the Celebrity boards for the same comparisons. We're usually Celebrity cruisers and have been on most of their ships at least once, and we just got off Jewel OTS for a Baltic cruise. We had a great cruise on Jewel, and will certainly be back for more cruises on RCCL. As Nanatravel said, neither line is better or worse, they're just different products aimed at somewhat different markets.

Here are my thoughts, which you should consider as only one person's point of view: In general, Celebrity is a little more formal while RCCL is a little more casual. This affects everything from the food to the service to the on board activities and even to the fellow passengers. Celebrity tends to attract a somewhat more sedate crowd (who may or may not be older), who like a more traditional cruise experience. They dress up a little more for dinner, and appreciate others doing the same. The activities are also somewhat quieter. There is generally only one announcement a day. The food, along with its presentation and service, is generally more formal and more "European." There are five courses at dinner instead of three. There are sommelliers in the dining room and their wine list is much more extensive than on RCCL. The servers in the buffet give you a tray with a linen cloth and you have separate china, instead of a big melamine platter where your food all runs together.

All that said, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. In particular, make sure you take advantage of the Aqua Spa cafe for breakfast or lunch. It's equivalent to the Solarium space on Radiance class ships but is larger and less crowded. It serves European-style "spa" food, and the servers are the same waiters who work in the Specialty restaurant at night. And the food is served on a tray with linen, china and silverware instead of paper plates and plastic ware. Also highly recommend the Specialty Restaurant, which is called the Olympic on Millennium and is styled after the first-class dining room from the Olympic, the sister ship to the Titanic, and even has some of the Olympic's original paneling. The experience is different from that in Chops or Portofinos, as the service is Russian style: all the dishes are served simultaneously with silver lids that are removed together. Try the tasting menu with paired wine selections. Also, try the Cova Cafe coffees - there is lovely table service, and the coffee is served in china rather than in paper "to-go" cups.

Have a great cruise!

Some friends and I recently cruised on the Infinity. One couple (and her mother) are Diamond C&A and she had enrolled all of them in the Captain's Club before they sailed on X. They got a lot of little perks AND an invitation to dine at the Captain's table. I think X was wooing them!

I agree with brucemcdou with the comments made.

Having sailed on both X and RCI, I found the food much better on X. The specialty dining on X is MUCH better than on RCI, it is more expensive.

On formal nights you will not see blue jeans or that many passengers in "casual clothes". A lot more Tux and dark suits.

Aqua Spa is fantastic, I tend to try to eat every lunch at the Aqua Spa.

Drinks on RCI are stronger and less expensive. Wine list on X is much better than RCI. The waiter does not have to serve wine, along with food.

Crown and Anchor perks are MUCH better than Captains Club, so be aware of that.

X has cushions on lounge chairs at pool, and several times during the afternoon frozen towels and Sorbet are handed out.

There are more older passengers on X, but several cruises ago, my wife and I (in our late 30's) were seated at dinner with all other couples in 60's and 70's and had a blast. Don't let the age of the passengers bother you.

Both lines have strong points and weak points. If I had to pick I would take X over RCI, due to better food.

Here are my thoughts, which you should consider as only one person's point of view: In general, Celebrity is a little more formal while RCCL is a little more casual. This affects everything from the food to the service to the on board activities and even to the fellow passengers. Celebrity tends to attract a somewhat more sedate crowd (who may or may not be older), who like a more traditional cruise experience. They dress up a little more for dinner, and appreciate others doing the same. The activities are also somewhat quieter. There is generally only one announcement a day. The food, along with its presentation and service, is generally more formal and more "European." There are five courses at dinner instead of three. There are sommelliers in the dining room and their wine list is much more extensive than on RCCL. The servers in the buffet give you a tray with a linen cloth and you have separate china, instead of a big melamine platter where your food all runs together.

All that said, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. In particular, make sure you take advantage of the Aqua Spa cafe for breakfast or lunch. It's equivalent to the Solarium space on Radiance class ships but is larger and less crowded. It serves European-style "spa" food, and the servers are the same waiters who work in the Specialty restaurant at night. And the food is served on a tray with linen, china and silverware instead of paper plates and plastic ware. Also highly recommend the Specialty Restaurant, which is called the Olympic on Millennium and is styled after the first-class dining room from the Olympic, the sister ship to the Titanic, and even has some of the Olympic's original paneling. The experience is different from that in Chops or Portofinos, as the service is Russian style: all the dishes are served simultaneously with silver lids that are removed together. Try the tasting menu with paired wine selections. Also, try the Cova Cafe coffees - there is lovely table service, and the coffee is served in china rather than in paper "to-go" cups.

Have a great cruise!

Very well done.

I would add that the T pool is very nice and a great, quiet spot to relax in a tranquil environment.

Millie is the same size as Jewel and holds several hundred fewer passengers and, to me, this is a noticeable difference.

There is no silly dinner singing or pirate's parade on X, which I prefer and the dining rooms have a smaller, more intimate feel.

I find that the observance of the dress code on RCI declines with every cruise I take, and I (thankfully) have not noticed that on X.

I have not seen the "garage sales" taking place on X that are becoming a staple on RCI. And, I always leave an RCI ship feeling more nickel and dimed.

While I find the Radiance class ships beautiful, I enjoy X food, service and ambiance onboard much more.

Pepsicruiser - we likewise are Diamond status on RCL and have sailed twice on Celebrity. We sailed on Constellation and Inifinity and would do both again in a hearbeat.

It is different for sure from a Voyager class cruise. Millienum class ships have about 2000 passengers and the other ships less. Celebrity has a Concierge class of cabin and it was very nice. Other than than, in my opinion, there are small differences

Celebrity has been a favorite of ours for years but we haven't been able to find an itinerary that fits our schedule for a while. We'd sail Celebrity again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises. However, on the Millie you MUST have dinner in the Olympic Restaurant. It was the best meal I've ever had in my life - and I'm pretty picky about that sort of thing. It was well worth the extra charge.

Can you enroll even if you dont currently have a reservation??

Just answering my own question........I emailed Celebrity and asked if we had to have a ressie beofre enrolling in the Capts Club..........just got this answer.......

RE: Captains Club membership level

Dear Mr. and Mrs. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your recent on-line request for your Captain's Club Membership membership level. We apologize for any delay in our response. Due to your Diamond Plus membership in the Crown & Anchor Society, our Equivalent Recognition program has been able to update your membership in the Captain's Club to the Elite level with no cruise credits. You will receive a welcome letter in 6-8 weeks.

We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that with our newly enhanced Captains Club, you are no longer required to show your membership card on or off the ship. In order to receive discounts or access to exclusive events, you simply need to insure your membership number is noted in your reservation.

Mr. and Mrs. XXXXX, discover a complete cruise experience with a taste of luxury on every Celebrity cruise.

Sincerely,

Tara Giglio

Celebrity Cruises Captains Club

Archived