New Ship Rumours

xplrcrzn

Would those heading out on cruises in the next few weeks please try to update the "new ship rumours" when talking to senior crew and officers. No news is not good news.

I have just returned from three weeks on the Legend and had a wonderful time.I had dinner with Captain Karlo Buer and went into great depth about the rumour of a new ship or ships.He said that the designs were in place but as yet no order had been placed.We discussed the size of ships and both agreed that the ideal size for luxury cruising would be similar to Silversea Silver Shadow/Whisper and with an all balcony suite arrangment.

The Captain was ofcourse the ideal Diplomat for Seabourn and did not give much away.

I have just returned from three weeks on the Legend and had a wonderful time.I had dinner with Captain Karlo Buer and went into great depth about the rumour of a new ship or ships.He said that the designs were in place but as yet no order had been placed.We discussed the size of ships and both agreed that the ideal size for luxury cruising would be similar to Silversea Silver Shadow/Whisper and with an all balcony suite arrangment.

The Captain was ofcourse the ideal Diplomat for Seabourn and did not give much away.

That's precisely what he said in March.

J

I don't know exactly what is happening, but clearly something is being considered other than new builds. Seabourn has ships sailing regularly at near or over capacity and at high cost per passenger day rates. Increased capacity is something that is sorely needed.

I have absolutely no information to support this...again I have no information to support this...but Radisson's new rebranding to Regent has tried to elevate the perception of its ships to true luxury, but at the same time they have cut back on experienced staffing and have done nothing that I can see on board to truly luxuriate or expand the services. New beds and having inclusive liquor (to what extent we shall see!) just isn't enough. It seems like a play to increase perceived value without doing anything. I also note that Regent has a number of cruises selling well below capacity in the Baltic (amazing) and in the Caribbean. That smells like "sale" interest to me.

Again, I have no information to support this conjecture...but if I was a betting man. OK, I am a betting man. Where do I place my bet??:)

Hi Iamboatman!

You mention that you don´t have information three times.

Your homepage however mentions that you do have the knowledge.

You want to make a bet.

So what is the bet, what is the deal?

Don´t keep us in the dark.

Don´t beat about the bush.

By mentioning three times, that "you don´t know nothing" - quote Fawlty towers, Manuel - I am suspicious!

I have been told that a Statement was to be made in early Aug. Then the end of Aug. Now we are in Sept. Something is going on I am sure. For it's to there advantage th make some statement and not keep all there repeat guests in the dark for more than 60% are repeat cruisers. For myself I think the move would be to buy silverseas. Smal private company that's going nowhere.

As I say, "I don't know nuthin'" (Heh, I am from Joisey. Fuggedaboudit!). I have heard the rumors (and some specifics) for many months now. I think the first time I heard an announcement would be made was back in the spring. Then I heard a few things. Then I heard nothing.

What interests me is that I have heard NOTHING. And, as I have cruised on Radisson/Regent four times, I have seen a curious drop in service and approach with a huge increase in marketing about how much better it is going to be. I just wonder if the marketing is for the benefit of others than the potential passengers.

Soooooo, don't read too much into what I have posted. It is just food for thought...maybe.

Realistically, the biggest "draw-back" (if there can be one!) I've read for prospective SB cruisers is the lack of "real" balconies on the Tripletts. So many cruisers are "spoiled" (as I am!) with private balconies, that it turns off many sailors who may otherwise "jump ship" to SB.

Having taken one Regent (then Radisson) voyage, it merely "whet" my appetite to try SB...the Regent balcony suites were beautifully done, and with the balcony an added bonus; with the exemplary service SB offers, balcony suites available would fill very quickly. Hopefully, SB's crew would be augmented successfully to ensure no drop of service for a (slightly) larger vessel....

Of course, retaining the Tripletts might enable single sailors to book at reasonable supplemental surcharges, hopefully! (I found on the Legend that I can, indeed "live" without a balcony when overwhelmed by the service offered along the way!)

As long as the food, service & ambience isn't effected by a "takeover", I'm for anything that makes SB more successful (and accessible!). :D

Paul

Crystal808,

The last sentence of your post says it all. As Long as food, service and ambiance are not affected a takeover would be great. But I fear that is exactly what might happen. The minute you go from 200 passengers to 388 the atmosphere changes. I am not saying the atmosphere aboard SS is not lovely, the ships are beautiful....BUT the intimacy and relationship between passenger and crew is quite different. On my last SS cruise in May on the Shadow, the food and service in the restaurants was WAY below par. I would hate to see that happen on SB.

I have been told that a Statement was to be made in early Aug. Then the end of Aug. Now we are in Sept. Something is going on I am sure. For it's to there advantage th make some statement and not keep all there repeat guests in the dark for more than 60% are repeat cruisers. For myself I think the move would be to buy silverseas. Smal private company that's going nowhere.

Maybe that would explain why SS has not come out with their Silver Sailings for next year yet. Also, why they have adjusted their pricing structure across the board. We have been on four SS cruises and hope to go on our second SB cruise next year.

Crystal808,

The minute you go from 200 passengers to 388 the atmosphere changes.

That's exactly what would concern me, as well! :eek: It was such a unique pleasure to go from a 700-passenger ship (RSSC Voyager) to the intimate 200+ Legend! (particularly after my previous mass-market sailings). And everything was "perfect". I'd stick to the Triplets if, indeed, such a takeover might effect service! I've got 2 more cruises booked, Dec. ('06) & March ('07) to reacquaint myself, and can hardly wait to be "greeted" by the SB staff & crew...long before any changes might come.... :)

I wouldn't mind additional passengers; I'd welcome a balcony, too...but not at the expense of losing the personal and individualistic pampering the crew is so known for! :(

Paul

There has been talk about SS possibly being for sale for some time now. There is definately something strange about its 5% price increase when there is fairly substantial availability on most of its cruises. Seems like one way to try to generate cashflow if not passenger count (based upon loyalty, etc.) Discounting might send the wrong signal. So, the possibility of SS being an option may not be that unrealistic.

As for Regent, having been on 3 of the ships (albeit the Diamond is gone), I think a Seabourn product can be provided. It is a matter of getting the right staff with the right approach. Generally the onboard facilities are very good. And the suites are excellent; probably all that might need be done is change out the lesser quality sofas and they are done.

All three Silversea, Regent and new builds are interesting options. Isn't it great that the demand is so high that each one seems like it could be a reality soon?!

Keep in mind that Seabourn is a part of a large, widely held and publicly traded company. In the new world of Sarbanes-Oxley anything that could remotely affect the stock price has to be handled with extreme caution. Certain other lines, that are privately held, can blow all the smoke they want about possibilities, no matter how remote.

bgood

Keep in mind that Seabourn is a part of a large, widely held and publicly traded company. In the new world of Sarbanes-Oxley anything that could remotely affect the stock price has to be handled with extreme caution. Certain other lines, that are privately held, can blow all the smoke they want about possibilities, no matter how remote.

bgood

Oh so true. But Carnival announces new ships all the time...for Princess, Carnival, HAL, etc....Just not for Seabourn. Royal Caribbean also makes similar announcements regularly, including the other day when it acquired Pullmantours.

I don't think the issue is blowing smoke or being irresponsible to shareholders. It is more along the lines as to when, why or how new ships are going to come into place so that passengers can actually cruise Seabourn when they would like...especially with the rumors being anything but totally denied!

Any outright denials out there????????:confused: ;)

Couple notes Regent is for the most part a Virtual company. I do not know if they own any ships. I know the Paul G was recently brought by GCT (I think thoses are the initals) and marketed under the Regent brand. Almost all the crew are V.ship employees.

So for Seabourn to buy Regent all they would be "buying" is the name and the right to market some ships.

Myself and two other CCers has a bad cruise on Silerseas in March. Quality Control is missing on Silverseas.

IMHO for Seabourn to buy anybody, Silverseas would be the best.

Oh so true. But Carnival announces new ships all the time...for Princess, Carnival, HAL, etc...

Yes, but to bgood's point, there is a strong legal distinction between announcing, and "pre-announcing". I'm sure when (if) Seabourn has something to say, it will be announced. Until then, all of this discussion is purely conjecture. I do agree, however, that SS's increase in pricing is odd, but their business model is beyond comprehension anyway!!! And their ships are no longer new.

Denyse

Archived