Getting to Tikal

chiman

• 3 months later...

I took a ship excursion out of Puerto Quetzal to Tikal about seven years ago. It involved two bus rides, a plane ride and a good deal of walking. With the condition of one of these buses, I was glad I was on a ship sponsored tour.:rolleyes:

The tour was pricey then and I'm sure has seriously increased by now. I'm not sure of the location of the port from which you're wanting to do this tour however. I must say these ruins are absolutely spectacular. We were actually allowed to climb to the top of one of the temples. Recently when visiting ruins at Costa Maya, I asked our guide (non-ship tour) if that was still allowed at Tikal and he indicated it is which surprised me as other sites are so much more controlled.

• 1 month later...

The closest airport to Tikal is in Flores, which is about an hour away. I don't even know if there is an airport near the cruise port either. Not to mention that Tikal is massive! We spent two days touring the ruins and still didn't come close to seeing everything. This is something you should set aside for a land trip. You can fly directly into Tikal from the U.S. on Continental now I believe. As far as climbing the ruins, they have built stairs up most of them rather than allowing people to climb directly on the old limestone steps anymore. It's much easier and safer that way, although some of them are still quite a climb! Tikal is a highly recommended adventure. Just beware of the heat and mosquitos. I went in July and both were unreal!

• 5 months later...

If I'm understanding this correctly then, it's about an hour by plane each way to Flores from Santo Tomas, then an hour's bus ride to the site? My cruise line is offering this as an excursion this winter, but 4 hours of travel sounds like a lot.

I'm wondering if Coban would be a little easier--still a plane ride, but a little closer I think, and not so far by bus.

• 6 months later...

We just returned from Santo Tomas. HAL offered Tikal and Copan, both $500 pp. These are two of the largest and most important Mayan sites. I will see them one day...but a rushed shore excursion will never do them justice. I would only do that if there is absolutely no other way you will ever get there.

I have been to Palenque in Chiapas, Mexico and a full day there was barely enough (staying nearby and starting very early). Tikal is even bigger.

Lamanai in Belize gave a similar feel to Palenque, being surrounded by forest and lots of wildlife. It has three major excavated temples, and you can climb to the top of the highest one. It was a manageable day-long excursion from Belize City with belizecruiseexcursions.com, who did a fanatstic job. If you are stopping in Belize I would try that.

Archived