Tipping guideline for solo-travellers

jp2001

Hi!

I will likely sail on NCL Spirit in two weeks (my boss approved time off, I just need approval from my technicians) but I have a question regarding tipping.

NCL add 10$/day/person automatic tip and this includes waiters and maid service. Since I travel solo, do I have to pay double for the tips? I hope not. I was thinking about giving the 10$/day autotip + 20$ to the maid + telling she needs not do the turn down service, simply leave enough towels in the morning (and I can turn down my bed myself). Do you think it's fair or should I give more tip to the maid?

Hi!

I will likely sail on NCL Spirit in two weeks (my boss approved time off, I just need approval from my technicians) but I have a question regarding tipping.

NCL add 10$/day/person automatic tip and this includes waiters and maid service. Since I travel solo, do I have to pay double for the tips? I hope not. I was thinking about giving the 10$/day autotip + 20$ to the maid + telling she needs not do the turn down service, simply leave enough towels in the morning (and I can turn down my bed myself). Do you think it's fair or should I give more tip to the maid?

You don't have to double tip when you are solo cruising, although you have to pay the awful single supplement. The auto $10 (per person, so as a solo you only pay $10 a day) goes directly on your account and is supposed to cover all tips but I gave the cabin guys $25 at the end of my 10-night Alaskan cruise, along with individual gifts to bartenders, etc. that I really felt provided excellent service. As an example, the bartender who served me most often got $25 at the end of the cruise, the waiters/waitresses in the bar $15-20 each. It is harder with Free Style to tip the dining room waiters/waitresses because you usually don't get the same ones each night, so I would leave a couple bucks on the table after dinner. All that said, you don't have to tip at all if you don't feel the service warrants it or if you feel the $10 a day is sufficient. It is up to you.

Although I understand your thinking of not having them do extra work, I wouldn't worry about the maid having to turn down the bed, etc., they do it for everyone and should for you, too. This is your vacation and part of cruising is being pampered. Besides, they leave towel animals each night that are very cute!

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it went.

Hi again jp2001. As gxchan said, you don't have to tip double. Each person in the stateroom tips...and if there is only one person..then it's just one set of tips.

And they are 'stewards' who tidy your room.....not criticizing your terminology...I just want to know the cruise lingo :D so you feel part of the thrilling experience. They will gladly do your turn-down service....they want to put that chocolate on your pillow each evening..and leave you the daily sheet of activities for the next day and show off their towel animal expertise.

Two weeks...wow...that is fast...better get packing.....LOL...enjoy your cruise..let us know how it went.

Hi!

Thank you for all information (including proper vocabulary, couldn't remember the word stewards). Thanks!

Can't wait to cruise (but it's only in a week from now that I am leaving home so I will be OK.

Archived