Canada & Canadians - what a treat

gg3

I have just returned from a visit to Canada and I must tell all you Canadians how impressed I am with your country and your people. First of all this was a very special trip. My brother and SIL took husband and I to Lake Louise as a way of showing his thankfulness for my giving him a kidney 14 years ago (and he is still going strong). He wanted this trip to be great and it was. There are no words or even pictures that do justice to the beauty, the grandeur of the Canadian Rockies. And we saw snow yesterday, and the wildlife - WOW - we saw 2 grizzly bears, a wolf, coyote, squirrels, mountain goats or rams, bald eagles. But most of all I want to say how impressed we were with the Canadian people. Everyone was soooo nice, so helpful, so polite. NOWHERE did we see people being rude in traffic, or young folks blasting there boom boxes from their cars, or people honking angrily at one another AND we only saw one police car the whole time we were there. Imagine - people being so polite and obeying traffic laws without having to be supervised ??? You are a beautiful country with some mighty fine folks. I hope to return one day. :) gg

• 2 months later...
I have just returned from a visit to Canada and I must tell all you Canadians how impressed I am with your country and your people. First of all this was a very special trip. My brother and SIL took husband and I to Lake Louise as a way of showing his thankfulness for my giving him a kidney 14 years ago (and he is still going strong). He wanted this trip to be great and it was. There are no words or even pictures that do justice to the beauty, the grandeur of the Canadian Rockies. And we saw snow yesterday, and the wildlife - WOW - we saw 2 grizzly bears, a wolf, coyote, squirrels, mountain goats or rams, bald eagles. But most of all I want to say how impressed we were with the Canadian people. Everyone was soooo nice, so helpful, so polite. NOWHERE did we see people being rude in traffic, or young folks blasting there boom boxes from their cars, or people honking angrily at one another AND we only saw one police car the whole time we were there. Imagine - people being so polite and obeying traffic laws without having to be supervised ??? You are a beautiful country with some mighty fine folks. I hope to return one day. :) gg

Wow where did you go??

Sounds like you went to one of the nicer quieter parts of Canada, but if you go to Sourthern Ontario, Toronto and other big cities totally different!! Not very polite, lots of police, lots of boom box sounds, and very bad rude drivers.

• 1 month later...

Personally gg3, I am so happy that you enjoyed your trip and that your brother is enjoying wonderful health.....health is most important.

You went to a most beautiful area of the country..what a treat it must have been for you. We have also visited in that area and you're right...no words can describe the beauty and splendour of Nature.

I hope you come back to Canada and often. We like visitors like you. Most Canadians are like what you experienced...Of course, big cities have their share of problems...and one's attitude changes...but I must tell you...in my city....no problems...come and visit here anytime....you'll love it!!

It's an honour to live in this wonderful country, I don't take it for granted.

Well I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our wonderful area! We live in the Okanagan Valley, so we have about a 5 hour drive to Banff, and always enjoy it whenever we drive through it. Haven't spent too much time there or in Lake Louise though. I think we'll have to change that!

And it is fairly accurate as to how to get 100 Canadians out of the pool. I would say that most of us would get out if you just asked us to! I would!

Elaine

Thanks for such a positive post! Yes, Lake Louise is wonderful - and the people are mostly wonderful! I'm always happy to get home up here in Canada (despite our weather) after travelling abroad.

• 3 weeks later...

That's so nice of you, thanks (even though I live nowhere near Banff!). I'm a lifeguard, and let me tell you that getting people out of a pool isn't quite that easy, but that doesn't represent our population, it's just a couple of brat kids, lol :)

I love Lake Louise too, btw ;)

We'd love to have you in TO, lots to do, and I'm sure you'd have a great time! Some may say differently, but folks around here are very friendly, and we'll treat you well.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

I of course love my country, and think we are ALMOST all nice, but , you have not met my father in law, he a prime example of the "Ugly Canadain" , so yes , they do exist ( but we ask them politely to hide when the tourists come, LOL)

The Rockies are definately our family favorite also, they are beautiful, no matter how many times you see them, and I have passed through them many many times in my life, being from the Island and having relatives from " the Prairies" ( like who doesn't) ..

As for wildlife, we have alot on the west coast, come and see, the darn deer destroy my gardens, the racoons are garbage pests, and about once a year the little doggies and cats go missing in the area when a cougar strays down for lunch. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

There is an American comedian who refers to Canada as America's attic. It's that place where you forget it's up there but when you go up you find all kinds of great stuff and you wonder why you don't go up there more often.:p

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah and we have Rick Mercer who loves to poke fun at how ignorant about Canada most Americans are! Well at least most Canadians get a laugh out of him!!!!!! Don't know if Americans even know who Rick Mercer is or care!!

See, this is why I love the Canadians. Ya'll are just so darn nice. I live in East Texas and we are a great bunch of folks too......for the most part. Very friendly, hospitable, fun loving, nature loving, salt of the Earth type of friends. Ya'll are just so far from us. But one should never get bored up there with so much beauty to behold. We hope to come back one day. gg deep in the heart of Texas

• 1 month later...

Once again, as you can see by previous threads I have started, we are returning to Canada, this, our 2nd time to Vancouver, 3rd to Canada. Once again, I am so taken by the Canadians who take the time to answer details for me re: my trip plans. Thank you for not just replying, but for giving me web sites, and maps, and so much positive input. See, this is why I love the Canadians. gg, deep in the heart of East Texas

Hey gg, always nice to hear from you. We'd love to get down your way - Texans are friendly folk, too. :D Have travelled in the States a little bit, but would love to take a cruise out of Texas some time. Definitely looking into it.

God bless.

Karen

Hey gg, always nice to hear from you. We'd love to get down your way - Texans are friendly folk, too. :D Have travelled in the States a little bit, but would love to take a cruise out of Texas some time. Definitely looking into it.

God bless.

Karen

Karen - you should fly into San Antonio and see the Riverwalk, the Alamo, the beautiful Texas Hill Country, then go to Austin, then drive down to Houston and Galveston and leave on a cruise from there. But don't come from June-Sept., unless you just love heat and humidity. We had a local E. Texas girl marry a guy from Calgary. They married in the heat of the summer, but his entire family all came, and LOVED staying outside in the sun and heat. We were all in the A/C, they were all outside. Texas is a really diverse state, with truly great, hospitable, gracious Southerners. I love living here........just want to be in the great Northwest in the summers. gg :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived