Birth Registration Card

NickyLouise

Does anyone know if this qualifies as a "birth ceritificate"? It has the raised seal on it, but its just a little card, size of a credit card. Does this qualitify???? Thank you !!!!!!!!!

And how long does it take (approx) to get a copy of a birth certificate?

I know that some states use these, but they are laminated, and even though you can see the raised seal, it's different. If I were you, I'd get a certified copy of your BC with the raised seal (or colored stamp), to avoid any problems when boarding.

Go on-line and find the website for the county you were born in. (Oh, that's so grammatically incorrect!!) There will be a phone number for vital statistics. Just give them a call. Last time I did this, it cost me $7. I put it on my VISA card and it was at my house within the week.

This really scared me though. I was NEVER asked anything. Just gave them a CC and they happily sent me it. Sure makes identity theft look easy! If someone had stolen my wallet, took a lucky guess that I still lived around where I was born, got that raised seal certificate...well....just imagine....

When I had to get a new copy of my birth certificate, I also ordered plastic copy issued by Nebraska. I sent this card in with my app for a passport. They accepted it and I got my passport. I don't know what every state uses, but in my case it works. It is the same size and shpae of a credit card, and has the registration number raised just like a credit card. I have not usd it for anything else. For what its worth.

I mailed off for my BC and my DH's BC, mine from Texas and his from Tennessee. I got his back within 8 days. I am still waiting on mine. I do have some time but, I really wish that they would hurry. I have heard that it can take up to 12 weeks to receive them. There is a website out there for an "elevated" price they guarantee you to have your BC in 24-48 hours. Good Luck!

We had this same question a few months ago when my mom cruised. She was born in Virginia, and they issued the certified registration card with the raised seal. She had used this about 10 years ago, but we weren't sure it it would still work. We couldn't get a straight answer from Carnival. So, we ordered another BC from Virginia's Vital Records Department, but it never got here in time for the cruise. She got on the ship with the registration card, no questions asked.

Boy, she was lucky, no questions asked, pretty darn scarey now a days. I wouldn't chance it, in fine print on your cruise contract, it states that if you don't have the proper I.D., they can deny you from boarding at the pier and you will not get a refund.

Better yet, get a passport, makes life so much easier, especially now a days.

My point was that they DO consider this proper ID if it is a registration card issued by the state. Some states don't even issue paper BC's anymore. This registration card has taken the place of them. I didn't mean for it to sound like she was trying to cut corners and just didn't get caught. She was legal all the way around.

Basically the old thing about the birth certificate with raised seal is not really valid anymore since many states are issuing different forms of birth certificates. If this card is issued by the state, it is certainly valid.

Don

Archived