Pompei, Sorrento, Capri tour - yuck

slobopolis

Dear Nanette,

Sounds like you have your cruises planned out for the next several months. Ironically, we are holding space on the Nov. 23 sailing of the Century. However, we plan to cancel because our children really want to go to Illinois to be with family for the Thanksgiving holiday. Also, with our Baltics cruise next summer, we are almost out of cruise money as well!! We would love to sail on the "new" Century after all of the refurbishments. I may sure you will have a great time.

Another cruise we have been considering but probably won't do for a few more years is Tahiti. I think either the Paul Gaugin or the Tahitian Princess are the options. I just can't get past the amount of time it takes to get to Tahiti. It is easier for us to get to Europe than Tahiti. However, it wouldn't be such a long haul for you on the West Coast. Didn't know if you have ever done Tahiti or considered it?

We will actually be in Laguna Beach Nov. 9th thru the 12th (not long enough to adjust to west-coast time). You are so kind to offer to get together for lunch. My e-mail address is nheffley@earthlink.net. I would love to meet you, but if it doesn't work out, given the relatively short period of time we will be there, I totally understand.

Sounds like we will be flying from Florida to LAX shortly before you fly from the West coast to Florida for your Century cruise!

Good to hear from you!

Nancy

I think time of year might be an important variable. We did med cruise in late August and hired a private driver for Sorrento, Positano and Pompei. Positano was crowded, but bearable. That evening, I struck up a conversation with another pax who went to Capri. He was still--an hour after returning--rattled by the crowds in Capri. I said, "well, Positano was crowded too..." and he looked at me with a crazed look in his eyes and said, "Oh no, you don't understand. It was awful. Crowded. Like cattle." The look in his eyes said it all. I'm not sure when the OP went, but perhaps November will be more pleasant.

Good point, we were in Capri in mid-June and I don't think the tourist season had kicked into full gear yet. I don't remember waiting more than 20 minutes for the funicular.

I am sure it does make a difference in terms of the amount of time spent in each place (particularly Capri) depending on the time of year. I would guess that July and August would be the busiest.

Although even in mid-June, Dubrovonik, Croatia was packed (and hot!!) There were a record number of ships in port the day we were there (11). It was a shame because Dubrovonik is so beautiful!!

nancy

Hi all,we were on the galaxy in july and did all the ports on our own.We booked a car and driver for naples and livorno with italylimousine.It was great ,8 pass van with a driver.We were 3 couples and did pompei,amalfi,lunch in Ravello,thru positano and sorrento.It is not possible to do all that if you want to see capri because of the time to get to and from the island.Cost was 450e for the day(we also tipped ).

Joseiphine at italylimo speaks perfect english and lives in Naples.we hired a guide for pompei at 90 eu for the group,but found it to long,almost 2 hours. Here is a tip,if you go with car and driver get to pompei first thing,and then to the other stops as you will be doing the opposite of what the ship tours do,so there will be less crowds.

Ciao

Hi,

We used Stefano at allagrande@hotmail.it for Rome. He recommended a guide for the Vatican (Domi) who was an art history major. She was wonderful. Stefano managed to fit so much into one day - picked us up at the ship very early in the AM and got us back in plenty of time. If you email him, be sure to say that Sheila Englebardt recommended him. Great day. If you want details, email me....

Archived