Celebrity Cruise Line to Shift from Seattle to Vancouver Next Year

OldCodger73

According to a report in today's Seattle Times (9/16/06), Celebrity is jumping ports and moving its ship Mercury to Vancouver instead of Seattle for seven-night Alaska cruises. Celebrity will continue to sail three- and four-day cruises from Seattle at the end of the '07 Alaska cruise season.

The article also outline how Celebrity will help those passengers who have already booked their own air for '07.

One interesting note for Holland America cruisers- the Seattle Port Authority is planning to demolish Terminal 30 and build a new terminal at Piers 90 and 91. No timeline was given for this.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003261162_celebrity16.html

Nothing like changing plans 4.5 months after they opened bookings for 2007! I would be really irritated if I were on Mercury, because we already have our plane tickets, and there's a $100/ticket change fee. Even though Celebrity is supposedly reimbursing people up to $100 for airline change fees - that won't help people using FF miles who probably can't get seats at this late date for many sailings early in the season.

We are booked for 6/22/07 on Mercury and at first I was a little annoyed that this far into the booking process they would make this significant of a change but luckily we have not yet purchased air and even though it will be a little more expensive to fly the fact that we are more likely to hit all our ports on time makes me happy. Sorry for the run on sentence!

The bottom line for me is that I think X didn't intend to make this change but with seeing what has happened this season didn't want a repeat next season. And they are giving all booked and deposited guests $100 obc as well as the reimbursement of upto $100 for airline tickets. I think they did more than most of us would have expected.

Vancouver definitely will make for a better trip.

Though, I admit - I would probably be a little miffed if I had booked the cruise specifically for the Seattle departure or if I had bought plane tickets. I have already bought plane tickets (FF miles) for my vacation next May (not Alaska) and they are open jaw and if I had to change them today - I am not sure if I could get FF seats.

I'm happy to report that we just got off the Mercury Alaska cruise to/from Seattle yesterday and made all the ports right on time, if not early. A truly remarkable cruise. I can't recommend Alaska or Celebrity Mercury enough. She's supposedly going into drydock in April so everything should be on track for the Alaska cruises next year. :D

Archived