There is no perfect cruise!!

chrismch

Expecting nothing - considering what we pay for these cruises - seems like a flawed concept. I don't think we can expect perfection but given that we're paying for a trip to certain destinations at certain times I think we have a right to expect that any cruiseline, airline, or bus tour will deliver as promised. For many, the destination and the timing apparently make no difference at all, but for some of us who look forward to our vacations and arrange for time off the destinations and timing are critical elements of whether or not we even get to take the vacation, let alone enjoy it. Given that the cruise lines take our money shouldn't we expect something in return? The dreaded "Cruise Contract" (which lack the required "mutual consideration" element that most contracts are required to have in order to be binding) aside, having no expectations won't keep Celebrity from becoming Carnival - only passengers who hold Celebrity to its promises can ultimately motivate the line to be honest and make an effort to ensure a good experience for everyone. Some posters are so smug on the issue of not expecting anything and turning a blind eye to any negative posts that they block them - and if ignorance is bliss then there sure are a lot of happy, uniformed people on these boards. Good for them - but why try to thwart the efforts of other cruisers who want Celebrity to improve, or at least stop its downward slide? When you tune the "whiners" out you risk not knowing something that could affect the enjoyment of your cruise. Is there a perfect cruise? - probably not. But it would be nice if X could at least start trying.

Whiners go, on and on, over and over, forever and ever. I will take the risk of not knowing something that could effect the enjoyment of my cruise by blocking these posters.

Why?...because there will be plenty of other posters who will site the problem in a less "whiny" repetetive manner. I'd rather read their posts and find out what the problem was that way.

We've been on a bunch of cruises and probably none were 100% perfection but they were all wonderful. I thought some of the early ones were perfect but I lacked the experience to recognize failings in the product or the odd isolated problem. These imperfections aren't impetiments to our enjoyment of the cruise but are opportunities for improvement for the cruise line. I provide that feedback via the end of cruise surveys or, in serious cases, by letter or e-mail to cruise line management. I do this because I love cruising and I want to see the lines strive for the best that they can be within their price range within the industry. I don't expect Carnival to be as good as Princess or Celebrity nor do I expect Celebrity to be as outstanding as Seabourn, but I do expect these lines to provide a product that is commenserate with the price range in which they compete. With a lot of cruise experience under our belts we have a very good idea of where our expectation should be set for a given cruise line. BTW, missing a port is hardly a blip on my radar screen. You pay your money and you take your chances when it comes to cruises making all the ports on the itinerary. Expect it when you choose to vacation on complicated machinery that sails on a sea that only the almighty controls.

Expect it when you choose to vacation on complicated machinery that sails on a sea that only the almighty controls.

Wow! I had no idea that God wasn't allowing X to fix the pods!! Missing a port due to weather or civil unrest or something beyond the line's control is certainly a risk that we all accept. A company refusing to fix a long standing problem is quite another. Again, my congratulations and admiration to those of you who are willing to pay a considerable amount of money to cruise but have no expectations whatsoever. Ever conside saving the money and checking into a nearby hotel? They have room service, restaurants, bars, maid service - AND, you can even "smuggle" your own booze into the room!

Over the years I have grown to love cruising and have yet to have a bad time on board ship. Having said that, there are some lines that are more to my liking. At the moment Celebrity is at the top of the heap.

I don't look for perfection and was presently surprized when I found it! The Constellation is such a wonderful ship- they really thought of everything on that one and I had such a wonderful (dare I say perfect) cruise.

Expecting nothing - considering what we pay for these cruises - seems like a flawed concept. I don't think we can expect perfection but given that we're paying for a trip to certain destinations at certain times I think we have a right to expect that any cruiseline, airline, or bus tour will deliver as promised. For many, the destination and the timing apparently make no difference at all, but for some of us who look forward to our vacations and arrange for time off the destinations and timing are critical elements of whether or not we even get to take the vacation, let alone enjoy it. Given that the cruise lines take our money shouldn't we expect something in return? The dreaded "Cruise Contract" (which lack the required "mutual consideration" element that most contracts are required to have in order to be binding) aside, having no expectations won't keep Celebrity from becoming Carnival - only passengers who hold Celebrity to its promises can ultimately motivate the line to be honest and make an effort to ensure a good experience for everyone. Some posters are so smug on the issue of not expecting anything and turning a blind eye to any negative posts that they block them - and if ignorance is bliss then there sure are a lot of happy, uniformed people on these boards. Good for them - but why try to thwart the efforts of other cruisers who want Celebrity to improve, or at least stop its downward slide? When you tune the "whiners" out you risk not knowing something that could affect the enjoyment of your cruise. Is there a perfect cruise? - probably not. But it would be nice if X could at least start trying.

Excellent post - Captain. I am also one of those who expect to recieve what has been purchased, when it is within, or should be, within the power of the cruise line.

While I agree with the OP that there's no perfect cruise, I have to say that many of the cruises we've taken were almost perfect. We've been blessed with so many wonderful cruises, but I'm sure if I thought really hard, I could find something to complain about. It's just that I don't like to think that hard on a cruise. :D

Archived