Beijing New Century Hotel

cruzcation

I stayed at the Hotel Nikko New Century Beijing in May and found it quite satisfactory, especially considering this was China and had heard many horror stories about facilities in this country. There appeared to be some variance between the condition of guest rooms (ie., my mother's room had carpet that was badly stained and needed replacing, however mine was just fine.) The facilities were modern, most of the staff in public areas spoke English and were pleasant and helpful, food in the full service restaurant was good, the hotel was close to the Beijing zoo, the shopping mall and restaurants. The hotel does seem to cater more to large groups and is farther away from sites like the Forbidden City, but I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there, included breakfast was very good, Chinese as well as western dishes. The desk has cards that you can circle in Chinese for a destination for the taxi. It was less than Y40 (about $5) each way to the silk market. If you cross the street bridge, turn right and keep walking for awhile there is a Chinese restaurant--looks sort of like a Dennys--with lotsa families. We just pointed to some photos, ended up with chicken & chestnuts (chicken had the bones in it) and beef w/onions & peppers, steamed rice balls stuffed with pork & 2 huge beers for under $10. Very good & filling.

Thanks for your replies. Did you stay at this hotel as part of a cruise package? We're staying overnight and the next afternoon boarding our cruise ship. We are hoping that the hotel has a tour desk at which we can book a tour to the Great Wall w/lunch. Are you aware of being able to make such arrangements at the hotel?

Archived