Dinner Attire on Voyager

caviargal

On the 12-11-06, 7 night Voyager cruise, there are two informal and five CCC after 6pm. The website also indicates jacket and tie requested for Signatures.

We are the type who prefer to dress for dinner. Would a short cocktail dress and suit for my SO be good for the informal nights as well as Signatures?

Will he overdressed with a sport coat on CCC nights in Compass Rose?

Thanks!

CG

I think you'd be dressed beautifully. I don't think unless your husband was in a tux and you were in a long gown you would be over dressed for informal nights. I often wear chiffon pants or cocktail attire on informal nights and husband sport coat and tie or dark suit.

We'll be boarding the Navigator same day in FLL as you will be.

Hi Ladies -

I'm on the same Voyager cruise from Funchal to FLL - what do you think of a long black velvet skirt with a brocade jacket for one of the formal nights - too early for velvet? I'm thinking a sparkly top and black "flowy" pants for the other formal night. The 2 informal nights had me stumped too - but the idea of dressing as if I'm going out to a nice restaurant seems to be the path to follow.

Just how casual is CCC - khakis/sweater sets, what I wear to work (I'm a teacher), or what? I'm trying not to spend a lot on clothes - would rather spend it in Funchal!

Thanks for all your expertise!

Depends on your itineary. A nice skirt, slacks and sweater set, "Chico's" styles are always good. Just dress as you might for any fine restaurant and you won't go wrong.

To go to a nice restaurant, I would wear a cocktail dress - I certainly wouldn't wear a sweater of any description, and sorry to be stupid, but I don't know what "chico" style means.

Our itinerary is Athens to Rome and we have 2 Informals and 5 CCC......which means absolutely nothing over here, as for a Country Club, I'd wear sweat pants and sneakers and I wouldn't wear those to dinner on a cruise!

On every other cruise I've been on, I've dressed up rather than down, and I shall do the shame on this one I think.

I did not see that you were from the UK. Here in the States we wear beautiful silk and cashmere sweaters with slacks - you are probably thinking of the bulkier sweaters that I have seen in England.

As for Country Club, here in the US, they are elegant places with dress codes, which do not allow denim, sweat pants or running shoes (sneakers). Even though we both speak English (okay, American)some things of I guess just don't translate due to the cultural difference. Chico's is a woman's clothing chain which is quite popular for travel styles and sportswear separates here.

So you will be just perfect in cocktail attire. Nice pantsuits, dresses and skirts will do as well.

Ah, cultural differences! We don't have "chico's" here in Canada either, although I have looked at the website, and could order from it if I liked.

A sweater is a jumper, by the way, they can be very elegant. Am I right that in the UK a sweater is what we call a "sweat shirt"? I don't own a cocktail dress, and dressing up at home is *not* wearing jeans. But I cope very well on cruises with a couple of nice summer outfits, a glittery jacket or two, some nice tops, a pair of velvet pants, and a salwar kameez.

It's the every-day apparel of Indian and Pakistani women. Not a sari, but more casual--a tunic and loose pants underneath, with a large scarf (dupati) to accessorize. I work with a group of Indian women, and one of them brought me a very beautiful silk one back from Mumbai. I wore it on Voyager this summer. Very comfortable, but also elegant.

Peggy,

I bought a salwar kameez in Mumbai on the WC. I wore it a few times on the ship. It was kind of aqua-colored, blues and greens and I happened to have gotten a small woven purse from the Philippines that color matched perfectly. I know you remember. That is a salwar kameez. (I didn't know what it was called either until we got home and Clay's Indian coworkers told us repeatedly. We just couldn't keep the term in our heads!)

Debbie

Wayward,

Your formal wear ideas sound fine. Khakis may be a little too casual for dinner in the evenings on a regular basis. (I will confess to showing up similarly dressed on occassion, like first night boarding and off to a late start, or late return to the ship after a day long excursion and no time to change, etc.) If the sweater sets are really nice you might get away with them with a pair of black slacks though. I understand your need to spend your money elsewhere and completely agree with your strategy. I have a mid-calf black knit skirt that packs wonderfully and always looks great. It also doubles as a bottom for both CCC and Informal. Maybe you could find something inexpensive like that to replace the khakis in the evening? Have a great cruise, Debbie

I am not a fan of khakis for women as I do not find them particularly feminine. I think they are a bit casual for dinner, JMO.

Knits are a great choice for travel and I love embellished twin sets so I can wear the cardigan when I get chilled and leave it off when I am comfortable.

Great black slacks are always a staple for me for dinners aboard.

This cruise will be our honeymoon so I know I will be dressing up every evening to celebrate:).

This cruise will be our honeymoon so I know I will be dressing up every evening to celebrate:).

How wonderful, best wishes!! This our first cruise - and celebration of our 25th anniversary...

On the fashion front, I'm nixing the khakis, and going with dressy slacks. Since this is a November Transatlantic from Funchal to FLL, will my lined wool slacks be too warm, or ??? And, will I need a jacket or will a pashmina wrap work?

Sorry to bombard you all with questions - but the clothes seem to be the hardest part of this trip!!!

Thanks for the good wishes! We are very excited and can't wait for December. We are getting married on a short cruise over Thanksgiving on Celebrity, joined by family and friends.

I have not done a TA so cannot give you personal experience. But, I have several pair of lined slacks in 100% tropical weight wool and I wear them year round in FL. If they are a light weight wool, they will serve you well anywhere; a heavier weave and they may be a bit much for the warmer parts of your trip.

I like the flexibility of a wrap - pashmina type - as it comes in handy on the plane and on the balcony for cool nights. I also pack a dressy evening sweater.

The fashion board on this site is a great place as well for clothing tips and there is a nice group of ladies who are regulars there.

Wayward,

Congratulations on 25 years! Your only real port will be Funchal and the climate there is pretty mild year-round. Your ship leaves there at 5pm, so it is not likely that you will need anything dressy there. If memory serves, I have actually worn jeans there on port days in both fall and in spring. As far as onboard, the temperature hovers right around 68 degrees F. You are likely to have just about any kind of outdoor weather, so for casual clothes I would just think layers depending on how much time you intend to spend outdoors. It is likely to still be fairly warm in Ft. Lauderdale too. Happy Anniversary and great trip, Debbie

I did not see that you were from the UK. Here in the States we wear beautiful silk and cashmere sweaters with slacks - you are probably thinking of the bulkier sweaters that I have seen in England.

As for Country Club, here in the US, they are elegant places with dress codes, which do not allow denim, sweat pants or running shoes (sneakers). Even though we both speak English (okay, American)some things of I guess just don't translate due to the cultural difference. Chico's is a woman's clothing chain which is quite popular for travel styles and sportswear separates here.

So you will be just perfect in cocktail attire. Nice pantsuits, dresses and skirts will do as well.

Thanks for all the explanations...there are some definite differences between US and UK aren't there :D

I'll go with dressing up, though not too dressy on the CCC nights......the little black dress never fails I think .......and I have lots of them!

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from a 7 night cruise on Voyager where we had same number of informal and CCC nights. Erring on the side of dressy is a better bet than the more casual khaki/sweater outfits. My husband wore a jacket every night. I wore cocktail dresses and dressy skirts for dinner each evening and felt very comfortable. There were a few people who were more casually dressed and were seated "in the back of the bus" -- interesting that we noticed that, but even my husband, who is oblivious to dress codes was not comfortable without at least a blazer at dinner! Hope this helps. Enjoy the cruise!

Archived