10 Cruise Etiquette Tips

RSWBADGER

Have you experienced any of these?

By John Frenaye

Travel columnist

SourceTripso.gif

Check Out this MSNBC link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14855855/

Recently, I had the pleasure of sailing on the world’s largest ship: Royal Caribbean International’s Freedom of the Seas. It was a fantastic week which was exactly what the doctor ordered for some rest and relaxation for my family at the end of a hectic summer. But after witnessing the behavior of some of the passengers, I had to wonder if they saw the cruise as an opportunity to be rude and obnoxious. If Emily Post were not already dead, those louts and bounders would certainly have sent her to her grave!

Let us forswear the role of Ugly American and start to mind our manners. These 10 tips were developed after a week on the high seas, but they are equally applicable to a land-based vacation or business trip. Read them and resolve to restore some civility to the art of travel.

1. Don’t expect perfection

2. Get some exercise

3. Shut up

See the rest and comments

Interesting Reading - BUT....the folks that do not even know these simple 10 things are not very likely to read them and even less likely to change their 'Ugly American' ways. There have been many times when I have simply been ashamed to be associated by country of origin with some that carry an American passport!! (Especially in Asia)

Interesting Reading - BUT....the folks that do not even know these simple 10 things are not very likely to read them and even less likely to change their 'Ugly American' ways.

True, but you never know -- we can always hope. :) Call me Miss Pollyanna, but I choose to believe that most people who behave obnoxiously simply haven't really thought about the ramifications of their actions. Maybe having it pointed out to you in a relatively non-threatening way can make a difference.

So here's hoping that somewhere in the world, somebody is vowing to never again order room service for 16, just to avoid tipping their wait staff! :eek:

If you ask me, there aren't just "ugly americans" around. I've traveled quite a bit to europe, mexico.....there are "ugly french" "ugly mexicans" you name it. There are also wonderful americans, wonderful french and wonderful mexicans. Some of the nicest ppl I've met was on a trip to good ol New York! Go figure. "ugly people" are out there and it can cross all cultural lines. Here's hoping we all encounter the "wonderful" kind and let the others roll off our backs! Cheers!

If you ask me, there aren't just "ugly americans" around. I've traveled quite a bit to europe, mexico.....there are "ugly french" "ugly mexicans" you name it. There are also wonderful americans, wonderful french and wonderful mexicans. Some of the nicest ppl I've met was on a trip to good ol New York! Go figure. "ugly people" are out there and it can cross all cultural lines. Here's hoping we all encounter the "wonderful" kind and let the others roll off our backs! Cheers!

Thank you, I was trying to put that it in the same way that you did but I couldnt get it to come out right so I didnt post LOL We encountered one "ugly american" on our cruise last week, but we also encountered quite a few "ugly ______________" as well. There are going to be ugly, rude people no matter what culture you are in. I just wish everyone would read those etiquette tips and follow them!

There is nothing wrong with having high expectations! That is what the Cruise line promotes!

The problem that can arise is that they are not in control of rude passengers for example. I think it was mentioned earlier that the way you react will actually help create how you feel about the issue immediately and afterwards for both ship/crew issues and other passenger issues.

One example given was to take the stairs. We have done that numerous times. We have pressed the elevator button at times and watched as it just passed our floor.

Rude people many times are looking for an audience to vent to. Not giving them that audience or encouraging them will many times stop the behavior.

Lots of examples, but I believe our reaction to situations creates most of the lingering ill will. Having said this, there are at times, you need to react to rudness, unresponsiveness by crew/cruise line/other passengers. Just remember, there are consequences to every action and reaction

Archived