SO disheartened. Think I might cancel !!!

judyush

Booked on the galaxy transatlantic next may in a sky suite but just about sick to death of reading really bad reports about the state of disrepair this ship is in. I am seriously considering cancelling this trip. Will be £200 out of pocket but hey am I throwing good money after bad going ahead with it? Might be worth paying extra and going back to princess. Sailed with them 2 years ago on the Golden. I was lead to believe Celebrity was a notch up. But obviously not this ship. Any input welcome folks.

Booked on the galaxy transatlantic next may in a sky suite but just about sick to death of reading really bad reports about the state of disrepair this ship is in. I am seriously considering cancelling this trip. Will be £200 out of pocket but hey am I throwing good money after bad going ahead with it? Might be worth paying extra and going back to princess. Sailed with them 2 years ago on the Golden. I was lead to believe Celebrity was a notch up. But obviously not this ship. Any input welcome folks.

Judy, our daughter did the Galaxy transatlantic in 2005 and had a great time.NO, the ship isn't glitzy nor is the Zenith or some of the other slightly older Celebrity ships, but the activities, ports, etc is what makes a cruise, for us anyway. You know you can read negatvies about any ship; as for Celebrity being a step up, I would say, both as a TA and a frequent cruiser, more like a 1/2 step but it does offer a few things you won't get anywhere else. I am not trying to tell you what to book. Only you know how important glitz, newness, etc are to you. I don't think you should put to much into these reviews. Remember, most of us expect to have a great time and never even think about writing and raving, but for those who have less than the perfect experience the time can't come soon enough to let the whole world know. NMnita

Bravo, NMN. ;) You put it perfectly. I recently had a great cruise on Mercury but I'm pretty much done talking about it. I think if I had a bad cruise I would be much more likely to continue posting about it looking for either advice, confirmation, or just a little grief relief.

judyush~ I haven't sailed on Galaxy so I can't help you. Keep doing your homework before you make any rash decisions. Best wishes and happy cruising!

Took Galaxy in 2004 and 2005 on 12 and 13 day cruises. Had a Sky Suite. Butlers were excellent, in fact all of the staff were quite pleasant. The ship was showing some wear and tear, carpet,and furniture. Crew were always cleaning. Would not think a second to book on her again if ports and schedule matched up to our wants. Agree it is what you are looking for. If it is glitz and newness you may be on the right track to switch. We prefer the older ships.

Judyush,

I would do a lot of independent research and make your own decision. It will be dificult to get an unbiased opinion on these Celebrity boards. (before I get slamed the same would true if the same question were asked on a Princess or Hal board). Personally, I prefer to sail on newer ships, while others enjoy returning to ships that they have sailed before.

What ever you decide happy cruising.

Judyush: We just got back from the Galaxy a couple of weeks ago, and we found the ship to be just fine. Yes - she is old and showing a little wear and tear, but certainly nothing that would detract from the whole sailing experience. We had a regular OV cabin. It was always clean, and our cabin steward, Sylvia, was always helpful and cheerful in helping us with whatever we needed assistance with. I have been reading that the Galaxy will be getting a "refurbishment" sometime early next year. If that's the case, then she'll be in even better shape than just a few weeks ago. Honestly, I was a little skeptical after reading all the negative reviews before our cruise, but after sailing on her for 10 days, I found basically NOTHING seriously wrong with her. Stop listening to the negatives and look at the positive postings! I'd say to go on your cruise knowing Galaxy will be in good shape for you.

June

Judyush,

I would do a lot of independent research and make your own decision. It will be dificult to get an unbiased opinion on these Celebrity boards. (before I get slamed the same would true if the same question were asked on a Princess or Hal board). Personally, I prefer to sail on newer ships, while others enjoy returning to ships that they have sailed before.

What ever you decide happy cruising.

Of course you are right about the unbiased view. I wish we could all be totally objective but it just doesn't work that way. NMNita

We did a transatlantic on Galaxy, in a Sky Suite, in May 2004 and had a great time. You can check our trip on http://www.cruisereviews.com. Click on "Celebrity" then on "Galaxy" and scroll down to my name, Philip M. Haggerty and cruise title - Atlantic Repositioning. I am not sure if the itinerary is the same, but I recommend the tour we did, which can be found under the Azores section of the review. (It is a British tour company.)

I would not hesitate for a minute about taking this cruise.

I wouldn't let other peoples opinions dishearten you.

I kinda look at it like Galaxy is similar to a Holiday Inn, its not the Hyatt, or Ritz Carlton so don't expect it as such.

I have never been on a cruise before but I am not going to let other people's negative comments, sway me.

Look forward to your cruise, don't expect a whole lot and maybe we will get a pleasant surprise. :)

I wouldn't let other peoples opinions dishearten you.

I kinda look at it like Galaxy is similar to a Holiday Inn, its not the Hyatt, or Ritz Carlton so don't expect it as such.

I have never been on a cruise before but I am not going to let other people's negative comments, sway me.

Look forward to your cruise, don't expect a whole lot and maybe we will get a pleasant surprise. :)

Actually, I think you can expect a lot without being disappointed. You can expect wonderful, conscientious, friendly service from hard-working men and women. You can expect plentiful, varied, and frequently delicious food. You can expect myriad activities to keep you busy or cozy places to relax if busy is the last thing in the world you want to be. AND you can expect an exciting journey halfway around the world!

Personally, if I could be guaranteed all of that, some faded or frayed fabrics or an odd stain here or there wouldn't get me down...

The first time my DH and I went on a cruise we chose Celebrity at the recommendation of our TA. We both LOVED IT! Every minute of! We have been cruising ever since and now I am a TA. BUT it was after we got back from that first cruise that I discoved this board and other places like it. I told my DH then "if I had read this board before we cruised I may not have ever gone!" There will always be people that complain about something. If this is a trip you want to go on, I would recommend you go and you will have a good time - unless you look for things to complain about. If you have a legitimate complaint, the cruise line will do everything it can to help you. Bon Voyage!

Booked on the galaxy transatlantic next may in a sky suite ...Might be worth paying extra and going back to princess.

We have crossed twice on Galaxy...in 2004 with Liat again in May of this year. We have also crossed on Golden Princess. Even with Galaxy's limitations I preferred Galaxy to Golden. It's not that we didn't like Golden but the dining, service and activities were preferable on Galaxy. Golden is a nicer ship, Princess has more perks.. neither is a bad experience. For us, better food is more important on a daily basis than the whirlpools (as example) which we don't use. We all have personal preferences that affect our attitude towards the succes or failure of a cruise. If we were to cruise in the Spring I would pick Constellation or Century ahead of Galaxy.

Can you save your deposit by changing to a different Celebrity sailing?

Some of the best hotels I have stayed in in the world have had a few rough edges. I judge a good holiday on the service I have and the food and company I enjoy. To date Celebrity have never let me down, even if on one trip we had a problem with the cabin - and on my service measure they came well up on top for how they handled it.

I would relax and enjoy

A

PS As we are sailing from Rome in May next year in a Galaxy Sky Suite please leave it looking nice for us :) :)

Hi,

You do find a lot of moaners on CC who almost seem to have a vendetta against a cruise/ship. Give it a chance and approach the cruise no pre -conceived ideas and I am sure you will have a fantastic time

Go for it!

Ian :D

I have sailed on Galaxy, Millenium and Constellation. I certainly had a wonderful time on Galaxy but I prefer Millenium and Constellation. I personally would opt for one of these ships for the Transatlantic voyage instead- even if it means getting a balcony stateroom instead of sky suite. I would imagine if you have only a 200 pound deposit, you are still within the cancellation period and could jump ship.

I am not discouraging you from doing Galaxy- as I say I had a great time on that ship but Millenium and Constellation are far superior and probably more fun on such a long journey with many sea days.

Hi - done a lot of Celebrity cruises, but don't know the Galaxy.

However, just off the Golden on a fantastic round UK trip. (Yes, we live in London in the summer - strange huh?). Bear in mind, that the Golden and the Grand are 'older' ships. That gorgeous carpet with the animals on the Golden, is now a bit worn and faded!! As are other parts of the ship. But we had a good time!!

If you are going to be really picky about things, go on one of the newer ships. Otherwise, if you can accept that Galaxy is maybe a little 'tired' - go with it!! Sounds like the food and service are good - and I am sure it will be kept very clean.

We are trying the Voyager of Royal Caribbean in November - will we enjoy one of these huge ships? Well, so far we have enjoyed every cruise - and no ship is perfect!!! We will have a good time as long as the weather is OK!!

Don't stress yourself - try it for yourself!! Horses for courses!

We did a Med cruise on the Galaxy last year and had a great time. It was a port intensive cruise so we really spent very little time on the ship so the availability of all the latest bells and whistles was not that important. The food was very good and the service was excellent. In both of these categories Celebrity is somewhat better than Princess. However, you have indicated that you are planning a transatlantic cruise that will have many days at sea. I sailed on the Golden Princess a few months ago so I can make a meaningful comparison between the Golden and the Galaxy. To be honest, for a long trip with many sea days I would probably go with the Golden Princess. I think you also need to consider other factors such as the type of atmosphere that you are looking for. Celebrity is more formal while Princess will be more laid back. Do you like to work out while at sea. The gym on the Golden, while not the best, is better than the gym on the Galaxy. You also need to consider the itinerary since most transatlantics include several ports when you get to Europe. Which ship stops in more places you are interested in visiting.

If you are going to switch- my absolute # choice would be the Constellation and then Millenium. I have been on 18 cruises and these ships are the best out there - bar none! Princess is comparable but no where near as good as Celebrity in my view- have sailed both lines recently.

We have just returned from the 4th September sailing on Galaxy and I couldn't sleep before we were due to go after reading all the comments on this site. I prepared myself for the worst............... a little tired in some areas but that is all. Food, service, staff all excellent AND a new bed in our room. The ship was very clean and comfortable and, after all, sometimes we all look a little tired and frayed, but the person is still the same (if you see what I mean) !

Lady C

We sailed Galaxy in 2004 and it was my first cruise. So I thought the things that X did were SOP. We sailed on the Grand Princess in February so now I had something to compare. Yes, the ship was a little glitzier than Galaxy. I found Galaxy's decor to be more classic and understated. However, when it came to service in all areas, Galaxy won - no contest. Princess wasn't bad, and I would sail them again and recommend them as well. X just has all those little extras that alone would mean very little, but over a week or more (ours was a 12-day Panama Canal trip), they definitely add up.

Go, enjoy and compare on your own. Those who've said it will depend on what you place the most value on personally are correct. But the only way to know for sure is to go. X is my choice!

It will be dificult to get an unbiased opinion on these Celebrity boards.

It's also difficult, if not statistically impossible, to get a good representation of the overall cruise experience when taking all pax experiences into consideration. This 'population' (that of cc.) represents a small percentage in terms of the big picture (it's possible it is as low as 3%). If you are willing to walk away from money based on a 3% factor, then by all means, sail another ship. However, I would rather go on the cruise and see what happens, knowing that the odds are in my favor that I would have a great time.

Enjoy your cruise.

We sailed Infinity so can't compare Galaxy but we went with X expecting it to be a notch up from our previous cruises on P & O Adonia, now the Sun Princess, & on the Golden Princess 2 years ago. Apart from decor we found far less to do on Infinity than on GP and less choice with meals. Also we loved the pools being open all the time on GP. We certainly didn't find X a notch up from Princess so if that really matters to you then you may be diappointed. The quality of food on X was also hit and miss whereas we couldn't fault Princess with quality, quantity and choice on the menus as well as the buffet being far superior. We also preferred the deck layout on the Princess ships, it was better for walking around the ship and easier to get around generally. The pushing of the shops and auctions became intrusive on X too. We had lots of 'personal' and 'priority' invites but they were just sales talks and a rip off too. Hope this helps! It is a lot of money to risk and if you're unhappy now you may worry all the more. I'd go with X again, but not on an M class ship. It also depends on itinerary, cost, etc. I think Princess gave us better value for money.

Don't let some of these posters fool you.

Why would you want to go on a ship where:

1) The whirlpools and thaloosatherapy pool have only been sporadically working for the better part of a year now. They did not work on our Panama cruise in November 2005 and they are not working presently.

2) The roof over the rear pool has not worked in over three years.

3) The windows of the stratosphere lounge have been fogged over for almost four years now.

4) The pool deck is worn thru the wood in several areas and it is extremely easy to get splinters.

5) The furniture in some rooms is literally falling apart.

6) The replacement mattresses have been reported to be no better than the ones they replaced.

It is obvious Celebrity is doing there absolute best to refrain from putting any amount of money into the upkeep of this particular ship. Yes the on board service is great - we had no complaints there. But as far as Celebrity trying to say they are the best of the mass market lines they don't even come close.

Judyrush...

My wife and I are sailing the Galaxy East Med Itin leaving this Monday. We are also in a Sky Suite.

Honestly, we were originally booked on the spanking new NCL Jewel in an aft suite but switched, because after more consideration, we prefered to be on what we think, right or wrong, is a better premuim line, perhaps we hope with better service and better food, on a much smaller ship, even though we have read here some feel it is in need of a refrushbishment.

We're only trying Princess (Star) for the first time next Jan, so cannot help you there, however, if you want to hold off for 2 weeks, and drop me an e-mail (jc@horseshoetavern.com) with yours, We'd be more than happy to give you a more personalized report from which you could further base your decision.

PS: Not sure why you'd be out the $200 pounds if your're simply switching cruises, as you are so far in advance, there should be no cancellation fee?

jeff n tara

toronto

Galaxy Sept 25

We seem to have an above average amount of "moaners" these days. I've not sailed Galaxy yet but we did sail her sister Century before the refit. It was the next to best X cruise we've been on. The best being Zenith the oldest ship in the fleet. Millie was our least favorite (but still great) cruise with X. If you lean a little towards the old school I would stick with Galaxy.

Archived