Scuba II

Kane

New thread ... the other one was about getting certification(s).

What sort of documentation do they require for dives? I'm certified, with lots of experience (including dives requiring decompression) but it was many years ago and I don't even know whether I can even find my card.

It's been quite a few years ago since I was on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. At that time I had my C-card & dive log book. It had been several years since I'd been down; & they asked me to go through some pool exercises w/ the "beginners" to prove my skills before they would allow me to accompany them on the scuba excursions. There was one person onboard who had his log book but no card. He had the certification # in the front of his log book. They must have done a check because they let him dive w/ the rest of us.

Cat and Liv4:

Thanks for the info.

If we can't find our cards, snorkeling will do ... probably would allow us to spend more time in the water anyway. (I assume scuba would be limited to one-tank no-decompression dives.)

I believe I took 3 scuba excursions on that trip in '98. Each one was a 2 tank dive, probably maximum 60-65'. I remember one of them was a shallow drift type dive. They used zodiac type vessels (which are a bugger to climb back into after the dive). We'd dive in one spot & move to another. Their dive masters were wonderful & kept a close watch on everyone.

Don't mean to "dive too deep" into technicals, and it has been a long time for me, but that sounds a bit marginal.

One of the magic numbers we had to memorize was 60 ft <=> 60 minutes, no decompression. I also remember a tank would last about an hour on a 60 ft dive. Did you have to decompress? I can't imagine tour dive boats taking tourists into decompression situations ... but, then again, propensity for litigation was probably less than in the U.S.

I'll assume you were directing that question to me. I have never done a (true) decompression dive. My estimation of the dive depths was just that an estimation. I didn't go as deep as a few others did; but we all did make a brief stop on ascension (just as a safeguard). I can't lay my hands on my dive log at the moment; but I'm sure none of our dives lasted as long as an hour. But the tanks were changed between dives.

Most of the "cattle boat" dive operations from cruise ships are geared towards the novice divers. It is usually no deeper than 60' for 40-45 min. Never a decompression dive. It can either be a 1-tank, or 2-tank dive. If it is a 2-tank dive, you will have usually about an hour in between dives.

Archived