Confused Junior Suite and concierge

AAAMom

and folks who were JS were upset that their luggage tags were not RED or say SUITE. The clerk stated that a JS is a larger stateroom & not a suite as GS + is. Then at the CL we heard bitching from JS folks who did not get a key to the CL & were griping & gain told they have a larger room, not a suite.

So it is time for RCCL to rename the JR Suite to maybe WANNEBE Suite? It is very similar to the mini suites on Princess, not a true suite. Sitting area is visible to the bed, not another room as a suite is.

Sorry Brenda, but you are wrong again.....a JS cabin on Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class are much larger than mini-suites on Princess. JS cabins on Vison class ships are equivalent to mini-suites on Princess. Both in a JS and GS the sitting area is visible to the bed. Anytime I can stay in a cabin that is almost 302 square feet, has a larger bathroom, large walk in closet (where all luggage can be stored besides hanging of your clothes, metal shelving on one side and above, plus a full wall shelving unit with doors next to the desk..........than, I am sorry, I don't care if you want to call it a Wannabe Suite, it's still a Suite to me. At least in a JS, my husband and I don't need a traffic light every time we want to walk from one end of the cabin to the other!!

I really encourage you to see if you can view a JS on your upcoming Freedom cruise..........then you will get the information you are posting correct.

And, we are sailing this Saturday on Radiance, we are in a JS and our tags are gold but do not say Suite on them as they had on previous voyages.

Sorry Brenda, but you are wrong again.....a JS cabin on Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class are much larger than mini-suites on Princess. JS cabins on Vison class ships are equivalent to mini-suites on Princess. Both in a JS and GS the sitting area is visible to the bed. Anytime I can stay in a cabin that is almost 302 square feet, has a larger bathroom, large walk in closet (where all luggage can be stored besides hanging of your clothes, metal shelving on one side and above, plus a full wall shelving unit with doors next to the desk..........than, I am sorry, I don't care if you want to call it a Wannabe Suite, it's still a Suite to me. At least in a JS, my husband and I don't need a traffic light every time we want to walk from one end of the cabin to the other!!

I really encourage you to see if you can view a JS on your upcoming Freedom cruise..........then you will get the information you are posting correct.

And, we are sailing this Saturday on Radiance, we are in a JS and our tags are gold but do not say Suite on them as they had on previous voyages.

Have a great cruise Patti and Jim. Get to the pier early and you may see them prying San out of the Concierge lounge and off the ship.:D

Have a great cruise Patti and Jim. Get to the pier early and you may see them prying San out of the Concierge lounge and off the ship.:D

Thanks Bill, we sure will try. We are going to be cruisin for 29 days. If Willie is still the Concierge on Radiance, I'll have to ask him about San. Oh and BTW, please keep our dear friend from posting incorrect info. I know it might prove to be difficult, but somebody has to do it.......and you're the man!!;)

Thanks Bill, we sure will try. We are going to be cruisin for 29 days. If Willie is still the Concierge on Radiance, I'll have to ask him about San. Oh and BTW, please keep our dear friend from posting incorrect info. I know it might prove to be difficult, but somebody has to do it.......and you're the man!!;)

Do you remember the old TV series and the Tom Cruise movies? That's what you are asking of me.:D I'm no Jim Phelps.

My DH and I just stayed in a D1 on Freedom on the hump. 9642. We had friends in 9644 which was a JS . It was HUGE compared to our D1. Large bathroom with full tub, huge walk in closet, and nice sitting area. The balcony was twice the size.

Alot more room if you can get a good deal on it.

My DH and I just stayed in a D1 on Freedom on the hump. 9642. We had friends in 9644 which was a JS . It was HUGE compared to our D1. Large bathroom with full tub, huge walk in closet, and nice sitting area. The balcony was twice the size.

Alot more room if you can get a good deal on it.

Thanks you so much for reenforcing what I have said all along to be the difference between a D1 and a JS. I think the JS cabins on Voyager and Freedom class are just slightly larger than Radiance class or that's how it appeared to us when we sailed on Adventurer and Navigator. Plus, we had a large sliding glass door on one side and a large floor to ceiling window on the other side. Don't think you get that in a D1!!

Thanks you so much for reenforcing what I have said all along to be the difference between a D1 and a JS. I think the JS cabins on Voyager and Freedom class are just slightly larger than Radiance class or that's how it appeared to us when we sailed on Adventurer and Navigator. Plus, we had a large sliding glass door on one side and a large floor to ceiling window on the other side. Don't think you get that in a D1!!

Ohhh the difference we felt when we walked in the JS was huge. The JS "felt" twice the width.......even the "hallway" was twice as wide as our D1. Don't get me wrong..the D1 was very very nice...but the JS was GREAT . We just splurged on a JS on Liberty next September. By waiting until Sept for Liberty, we got the JS for the same price we just paid for a D1 on Freedom last week. It will be nice not to fight the doors in the hallway when looking for clothes etc. Also, the bathrooms had nice tile(for a ship ) , nice counter space and it just was very nice. My DH does like to relax in the rooms from time to time...so the extra room will be nice . We won't be getting "use" to it...haha..as we can't always do the JS, but we felt the difference was so huge that we are paying the extra dollars on Liberty next year.

Sue

Ohhh the difference we felt when we walked in the JS was huge. The JS "felt" twice the width.......even the "hallway" was twice as wide as our D1. Don't get me wrong..the D1 was very very nice...but the JS was GREAT . We just splurged on a JS on Liberty next September. By waiting until Sept for Liberty, we got the JS for the same price we just paid for a D1 on Freedom last week. It will be nice not to fight the doors in the hallway when looking for clothes etc. Also, the bathrooms had nice tile(for a ship ) , nice counter space and it just was very nice. My DH does like to relax in the rooms from time to time...so the extra room will be nice . We won't be getting "use" to it...haha..as we can't always do the JS, but we felt the difference was so huge that we are paying the extra dollars on Liberty next year.

Sue

Sue, enjoy your cruise and your JS. But let me warn you, once you've stayed in a JS, nothing will ever be as good!!:)

That is what I am afraid of !! :eek:

Every time we went over to our friends room next door, my hubby would walk out and go..man that was nice !

We are already becoming cruise addicts since this Freedom cruise..now I am afraid we will become worse once we stay in the JS. :eek: :eek:

and folks who were JS were upset that their luggage tags were not RED or say SUITE. The clerk stated that a JS is a larger stateroom & not a suite as GS + is. Then at the CL we heard bitching from JS folks who did not get a key to the CL & were griping & gain told they have a larger room, not a suite.

So it is time for RCCL to rename the JR Suite to maybe WANNEBE Suite? It is very similar to the mini suites on Princess, not a true suite. Sitting area is visible to the bed, not another room as a suite is.

We booked a JS because there would be 3 adults in one cabin and we needed the extra space - not because we just wanted to be in a suite. I don't care what they call it. We've stayed in regular outside cabins a couple of times and JS category cabins a couple of times. The larger cabins were definitely preferrable for 3 people.

We booked a JS because there would be 3 adults in one cabin and we needed the extra space - not because we just wanted to be in a suite. I don't care what they call it. We've stayed in regular outside cabins a couple of times and JS category cabins a couple of times. The larger cabins were definitely preferrable for 3 people.

Thank you also for reenforcing what I stated about a JS. Guess there are folks out there that see a JS cabin as I do.

Ain't that the truth :D

We usually get a JS, however my parents are paying for us and my sisters and their husbands so we all will need to settle for a E1s :eek:

###

So you have to go slummin for one cruise.....it's not the end of the world.......you'll still have a great time with all of your family sailing with you. Have a fantastic time.:)

Is there a huge difference on the Sovereign between a JS and a SOV? We had an SOV last time and wanted something a little roomier without spending a fortune on a room we are only going to sleep and shower in, so I'm not expecting luxury, just breathing room. With Sovereign being a smaller and older ship I'm wondering if the difference is as great between those rooms as on the larger ships. Thanks!!

[B]with an Owner's Suite and we didn't even get priority boarding. Was also told at check-in that only 2 from the Owner's Suite could sit in the preboarding lounge area so we just skipped it and stood in line. So much for paying the double price.:(

I thought I would drop by the Concierge Lounge a few times and have a soft drink but everything was always locked up when I went in. No good use of the Concierge Lounge for me.

A funny thing did happen one afternoon about 4:45pm as the Concierge was getting things together for the 5-8:30pm(?) appetizers/drinks. I walked in and over to take a look at what was out on the food trays. I heard the older couple(the only others in the room) clear their throats really loud. I assumed that meant "no one takes a bite until 5:00pm". I had no intention of eating anything. I think some folks take that concierge lounge very seriously. They had probably been sitting there since 4:00pm. I obviously didn't know the rules and restrictions.:rolleyes:[/B]

[quote name='Rowtyd'][B]with an Owner's Suite and we didn't even get priority boarding. Was also told at check-in that only 2 from the Owner's Suite could sit in the preboarding lounge area so we just skipped it and stood in line. So much for paying the double price.:( [/B]

[B]I thought I would drop by the Concierge Lounge a few times and have a soft drink but everything was always locked up when I went in. No good use of the Concierge Lounge for me. [/B]

[B]A funny thing did happen one afternoon about 4:45pm as the Concierge was getting things together for the 5-8:30pm(?) appetizers/drinks. I walked in and over to take a look at what was out on the food trays. I heard the older couple(the only others in the room) clear their throats really loud. I assumed that meant "no one takes a bite until 5:00pm". I had no intention of eating anything. I think some folks take that concierge lounge very seriously. They had probably been sitting there since 4:00pm. I obviously didn't know the rules and restrictions.:rolleyes:[/B][/quote]
When you pay those kinds of bucks for an OS and get treated like you did, I do believe a letter is in order to Mr. A. Goldstein. He, or whoever he passes his mail off to, is always interested in anything out of the ordinary that is happening on his ships. I do believe what you experienced is out of the ordinary and you are entitled to an explanation.

Yes, there are those that take the CL very seriously. I probably would have said something very sarcastic to the couple that clearned their throats rather loudly.............maybe they thought it was just for them!!:rolleyes:

If you read the letter from the concierge you would have known the hours when food or beverages would be available, so if you didn't go to the concierge lounge in the morning for continental breakfast or between the hours of 5 and 8:30 pm for cocktails and hors d'ouevres, I'm not sure how RCI can be faulted. As far as rude or snooty fellow guests in the lounge, I'm not sure what can be done about that. You will encounter that type of person just about anywhere you go and have to learn to ignore them.
The concierge lounge is a nice amenity but it isn't something that should make or break your cruise.
As far as the information you were given at embarkation, I believe that it was incorrect. Not every RCI employee is going to get an "employee of the month" award. In this instance, I suggest you let the cruiseline know how the situation was handled, if only to make sure that others don't get the same treatment.

[quote name='HHFamily']Is there a huge difference on the Sovereign between a JS and a SOV? We had an SOV last time and wanted something a little roomier without spending a fortune on a room we are only going to sleep and shower in, so I'm not expecting luxury, just breathing room. With Sovereign being a smaller and older ship I'm wondering if the difference is as great between those rooms as on the larger ships. Thanks!![/quote]
Here is the link for staterooms fleetwide. You can compare staterooms by the different classes of ships. Hope this helps.

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/home.do;jsessionid=0000PUDNifxAISZLxmJS4EVXeRZ:10ktdmqkf"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/home.do;jsessionid=0000PUDNifxAISZLxmJS4EVXeRZ:10ktdmqkf[/URL]

[quote name='HHFamily']Is there a huge difference on the Sovereign between a JS and a SOV? We had an SOV last time and wanted something a little roomier without spending a fortune on a room we are only going to sleep and shower in, so I'm not expecting luxury, just breathing room. With Sovereign being a smaller and older ship I'm wondering if the difference is as great between those rooms as on the larger ships. Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Yes, there is. The OV is smaller than an OV on a Voyager class, and a JS is smaller than a JS on a Voyager class, but the difference between OV and JS on a Sovereign IS still a big difference.

We sailed three in a JS on SOS, and it wasn't "spacious" as it would have been on the Explorer, etc., but it was a heck of a lot better than the OV I stayed in by myself a month later!

[quote name='negc']If you read the letter from the concierge you would have known the hours when food or beverages would be available, so if you didn't go to the concierge lounge in the morning for continental breakfast or between the hours of 5 and 8:30 pm for cocktails and hors d'ouevres, I'm not sure how RCI can be faulted. As far as rude or snooty fellow guests in the lounge, I'm not sure what can be done about that. You will encounter that type of person just about anywhere you go and have to learn to ignore them.
The concierge lounge is a nice amenity but it isn't something that should make or break your cruise.
As far as the information you were given at embarkation, I believe that it was incorrect. Not every RCI employee is going to get an "employee of the month" award. In this instance, I suggest you let the cruiseline know how the situation was handled, if only to make sure that others don't get the same treatment.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"][B]Forgive me for asking, but what letter?[/B][/SIZE]

rowtyd

Everyone who is entitled to use the concierge lounge (grand suite category and above, and diamond and above repeat cruisers) SHOULD receive a letter in their room from the concierge, giving them the key to the concierge lounge and the hours of operation and food service. The letter usually comes in a blue folder which has the key and sometimes personalized stationary for your use. Owners Suites are entitled to concierge service, so if you didn't receive the letter, the concierge really messed up. How did you get your key?

[quote name='billsgal']rowtyd

Everyone who is entitled to use the concierge lounge (grand suite category and above, and diamond and above repeat cruisers) SHOULD receive a letter in their room from the concierge, giving them the key to the concierge lounge and the hours of operation and food service. The letter usually comes in a blue folder which has the key and sometimes personalized stationary for your use. Owners Suites are entitled to concierge service, so if you didn't receive the letter, the concierge really messed up. How did you get your key?[/QUOTE]
[B]Oh, that letter.:D I only remember opening the folder and grabbing those concierge keys. Sorry, I didn't read the details.:o[/B]

[quote name='MACOP']and folks who were JS were upset that their luggage tags were not RED or say SUITE. The clerk stated that a JS is a larger stateroom & not a suite as GS + is. Then at the CL we heard bitching from JS folks who did not get a key to the CL & were griping & gain told they have a larger room, not a suite.

So it is time for RCCL to rename the JR Suite to maybe WANNEBE Suite? It is very similar to the mini suites on Princess, not a true suite. Sitting area is visible to the bed, not another room as a suite is.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, a suite does not mean there has to be two separate rooms as I've stayed in many suites in hotels that were laid out similar to the JS cabin. By the way in my RCCL book pg. 20, under "Pick a Stateroom, Any Stateroom" the only lay out they show for a SUITE is THE JUNIOR SUITE. They could have chosen Royal, Owners etc. but they chose to use the JS lay out as an example, reinforcing that RCCL considers it to be a suite not just a larger room.
I booked a suite according to RCCL not a wannebe suite as you call it. I happen to need the JS space as we may be traveling with my mother who lives with us because she has a disability so she can't have a room to herself as she needs my help. She usually wants to stay with my uncle when we go on vacation but he is also elderly and has had some medical issues recently so she may not have the option to stay with him and therefore would go with us so I can't book a regular balcony or interior room which would be fine for just us as I'm afraid I would not be able to get a JS if I needed it close to the cruise date so now you know why I could use the extra space, bigger bath, etc.. As to the concierge service, we travel frequently and I am a Marriott member and always book a concierge room so we have the use of the lounge ( yes, there is a special key for that room also) because of my mother's disibility she feels more comfortable in a less crowded area and yes the room does cost more and thats fine as I know what it includes and it fits our needs. Everyone has their own reasons why they choose the room they do and now you know mine. It's much easier to book an extra passenger than it is to get a bigger room close to a cruise date.
When I received my RCCL book, I carefully looked at all the rooms and what they offered and I chose the JS based on our needs and price range and I reserved the JS's for all our upcoming cruises because I believed the information RCCL provided me with was the truth. I am a very easy going person and and I'm not going to let this issue ruin my vacation in Oct. as we just want to have a great time. However, I am upset over this issue with the JS as there should not be any question of what is stated in a description of the RCCL rooms in their OWN brochure. Either they know the rooms they are selling or they don't. I haven't been misled by someone on this board or a TA , I dealt directly with information provided by RCCL so there should be no room for error in regards to a room on their own ships. I do feel somewhat better because at least I know the JS is definitely larger and the room has the things the brochure says it does thanks to people on this thread. :)
I do know and understand that RCCL can change certain things when they wish like change itineraries, change dates, cancel cruises, etc and these changes are suppose to be for our safety in certain weather conditions that are beyond the control of the cruiseline. But a room description? I don't think so. It would be like having you pay for balcony and when you board the ship, they give you an oceanview instead for the balcony price. They do upgrade sometimes for the same price but I've never heard of any cruiseline downgrading your room and having you pay the higher price! They offer several different room choices and rates so we can choose the one best for us and that's exactly what I did and I'm not asking for something that is not included or for a special exception because it does say that it is included for all suites and JS is listed right along with the other suites. Like I said originally this is an issue that is best dealt with in person, and with brochure in hand after I board the Explorer.
I hope RCCL does read these boards because they need to know there is confusion in regards to what people are being told vs. their advertising material about the JS's. If anyone is in a JS before me, please check it out and bring your brochure with you so you can show them what THEY say about a JS and let us know, if not I'll let you know what happens when I return from my cruise. Thanks everybody:)

Archived