Bringing booze on board

so there

Honestly, not all my questions will be about drinking. :D I know there was a thread about this recently, but I seem to be search-challenged today.

The available in-room alcohol offerings leave something to be desired. My husband won't drink their offered brand of scotch, so I'm wondering if any of you have managed to smuggle in a bottle of your preferred poison. I was thinking to wrap it in our checked luggage. However, the sharing of any clever methods would be appreciated. I know Princess allows wine or champagne....but we occasionally like something a little stronger.

If they find it, will they hold it for you until the last day of the cruise or confiscate it completely? The brand I buy will rely greatly upon that answer. :D

Follow Corian's suggestion. My experience is that a couple of bottles in your checked bags at embarkation will not cause any problems and I've never had a problem bringing a couple of bottles of liquor or wine aboard at a port call. Just use a little discretion.....don't try to bring a huge amount of liquor onboard at one time.....make sure you pack the bottles properly to avoid breakage and don't put the screener in a position where he might feel the need to make an adverse decision....by that I mean, don't hold up your bag and, in a loud voice, say "I've got 5 bottles of Scotch in here...is that OK?".

I've carried one or two bottles on liquor onboard on every cruise that departed from a dometic port and I've bought liquor in port and brought it onboard while sailing in Europe, Australia and the Caribbean.

....but, keep in mind that the 'official' position is that only limited amounts of beer and wine (and no liquor) can be brought onboard. So, if you are unfortunate enough to be told that you can't have it then smile and accept the situation.

Thank you for all the speedy replies! I will be the epitome of discretion and grace....if it works, it works. If not, I'll smile and take my bottle home at the end of the cruise.

A Sixth....I would not have been surprised by some "unhappy" responses too, but this thread may not be dead yet! ;)

I've carried one or two bottles on liquor onboard on every cruise that departed from a dometic port

My husband put a bottle of vodka (750m size) in his carry on & the screener at Port of NY spotted it. Made him open the luggage & remove it. It was tagged & we were given a slip to retrieve it on our return to port but who felt like doing that - just anxious to depart for home at the end of the cruise. I think in the checked luggage is a better bet, though I'd seal it in a zip-lock bag to cover yourself in case of breakage.

Funny you should say that. Im leaving in three weeks for a Princess cruise and would love to give a review when I get back but am to scared to :o . I am just a lurker and have got wonderful info here. Good luck with the alcohol. Have a great cruise!

My husband put a bottle of vodka (750m size) in his carry on & the screener at Port of NY spotted it. Made him open the luggage & remove it. It was tagged & we were given a slip to retrieve it on our return to port but who felt like doing that - just anxious to depart for home at the end of the cruise. I think in the checked luggage is a better bet, though I'd seal it in a zip-lock bag to cover yourself in case of breakage.

They kept it at the port itself? I thought they would take it onboard & return it to you the last night of your cruise.:confused:

If you are really concerned about them taking your booze, transfer it to a wine bottle, recork or screw top back on, take vinyl tape the color of bottle wrap and seal cork put in take on luggage. You are allowed to bring wine on board. Usually put in zip lock bag for safetys sake. I like Pinch scotch and if they have it on board I cant afford it. Especially since I can get it for about $14 a bottle in St. Marteen. Have never had them take booze out of checked luggage either. Happy Sails To You. okbowler

We plan to just send the gift basket from "just because of you" gifts. This way you are garenteed to have your cabin treats. (alchol)

I read somewhere here that Princess isn't allowing outside services to deliver gift baskets or what ever. Is it still possible to send a Just because of You gift to your cabin?

And how the heck do you get info on these guys? I did a web search and didn't find them.

I read somewhere here that Princess isn't allowing outside services to deliver gift baskets or what ever. Is it still possible to send a Just because of You gift to your cabin?

And how the heck do you get info on these guys? I did a web search and didn't find them.

That would really stink. Maybe I will stick with RCCL then because they do. The web address is www.justbecause.addictscay.com. If you put it in a search put JBOY.

:cool: We purchase the "mini" bottles like the bottles airlines carry. They are easier to pack and allow for variety. Leftovers also are safer to pack for coming home because the bottles aren't open.

We have brought our own, the last several cruises. Buy the smaller liquor bottles, usually found behind the cashier at the liquor store. We have brought several that are even in plastic bottles. I think Smirnoff is one. I even saw Grey Goose, it was glass. We even bring a small bottle of Rosie's lime, Triple Sec and cranberry juice (plastic bottle). Double bag them in zip lock bags. Some time we even put them in with our suntan lotion. Put this all in your checked bags. Hey it worked on NCL and they are really picky. I think they have dogs that sniff for liquor in your checked bags. We enjoy a cocktail before dinner, but we still spend money on beer and try other drinks they sell.

We just returned from the Coral Princess and they had a Martini show. They made a drink called The Wall Street. I bought the pack of cards they were selling, but that card was missing. Does anyone know the recipe? I googled, but did not come up with anything close. I know it has Vodka and Pomagrante juice. Just need the other ingrediants.

We also bring a bottle of Champagne and order orange juice in the morning and enjoy our mimosa. I believe Cook's even sell a 4 pack that is small bottles

Have a great time on your cruise.

We were on the Coral in May for a full transit cruise. We bought several bottles of wine in Ft lauderdale and then in each port my DH would buy a 6 pk of beer and we never had any trouble bringing it on. In fact in Aruba, he brought beer, and a bottle of rum. I think as a previous person said, as long as you just put it on the belt and let it go throught he scanner and pick it up without making any coments it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, Princess is no longer selling the larger bottles on board. They stopped that practice just before we got on the ship. You can still order the little bottle pkg from room service.

We're going on the Island next April and plan on bringing several bottles of wine on board again. We'll probably pack a bottle of rum for DH in his suitcase and a bottle of rye in mine. "5 days at sea" is a long time gotta be prepared;)

Just back from a nine day Crown. Packed a quart of vodka in a zip lock with a little bubble wrap in my luggage and carried on 2 bottles of wine, 6 bottles of water and six pack of Pepsi. No problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ordered cranberry and orange juices each morning from room service and enjoyed drinks on the balcony each evening.

Last year we flew into Miami the night before the cruise. We found a liquor store & bought liquor in a plastic bottle and put that in our large luggage. And we bought a couple bottles of wine and put them in our carry on.

I was real nervous about the liquor, don't like trouble, but I heard that many people do it so thought we'd give it a go. We bought the cheaper liquor just in case they took it. I have heard in some cases you may not get it back.

Last year prior to boarding a flight to Copenhagen before a Baltic cruise we purchased vodka and gin at the duty free store at the airport which was delivered to our flight as we boarded. With the new regulations in place, is this still allowed? Has anyone done this since August 19?

Last year prior to boarding a flight to Copenhagen before a Baltic cruise we purchased vodka and gin at the duty free store at the airport which was delivered to our flight as we boarded. With the new regulations in place, is this still allowed? Has anyone done this since August 19?

The rules seem to change every week. Last time I checked Duty Free at the airport was fine as long as it's delivered to the gate...but you have to be on a direct flight, if you connect somewhere with booze, I believe it will be taken away.

Archived