First time cruising with toddler -- any suggestions???

MJfats

This is my first post and only my second cruise. I am going on a family reunion cruise on the Carnival Miracle the week of Oct 22-29. This will be with my husband's extended family but my husband won't be with us (this should be interesting). My daughter will be 15 months at the time and I am clueless about what to plan for us to do. There is a wide age-range within our group but no other kids. I am interested in hearing from others who have cruised with children under 2. How did you fill your days on the ship? Any particular excursions that you would suggest (or not suggest) in Belize, Cozumel or Costa Maya? Do you recommend bringing any gear in particular such as a stroller or front carrier? Did you use the babysitting facilities? If so, how did that work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I know there are things that I am going to forget in planning.

Howdy MJfats!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Help Forum! 04.gif

I fully understand your need to know more information. However, you have posted on the Help Forum where members find information about using Cruise Critic's software. This is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic. 05.gif

Per our Guidelines and to help you out, I have moved your thread to the Family Cruising Forum where it will be on topic. I hope you will be able to find it in the new location! Your fellow Cruise Critic members should be able to help you with more information there. And for future reference, click here for all the Cruise Critic forums: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

What great mommy time this will be for you and your child! If it's not too late, I suggest a room close to the elevators, which makes it easier whether your child is walking, in a stroller or being carried. The days flew by when I took my 13 month old twins - we went for walks around the ship; danced to the music by the pool; used the kids area (I think Carnival has specific hours you can do this); splashed around in a little blow up pool on deck.

There are other posts on this board with packing suggestions that I've found a huge help. A lightweight stroller that reclines (for sleeping) and a sun cover is a necessity since there can be a lot of walking on board or in port.

You can check out the ports-of-call boards here and ask for child-friendly activities in your ports. I just like resorts with kids pools and playgrounds, etc. for a nice relaxing day.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have. You'll have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Thanks, Mia. It seems that I was in the wrong place when originally posting my question. There is a lot of information out there. I just need to spend more time reading others' experiences. I am happy that I will be able to spend quality time with my daughter away from all of the distractions at home.

I guess I will need to buy an inflatable pool to take with me since it looks like she won't be allowed in the regular pool.

I will look around some more and see if I have more questions...

Here is my 2 cents....

Are you likely to get help with your help or you own your own for day trips?

If you want babysitting Camp Carnival doesn't offer a free program for the under 2's, but when I went on Valor they did have some times where you could leave them for around $6 an hour and mine loved it! She liked being around other kids and we were happy to have a little break. It was usually from noon-2pm, port days for a few hours here and there, and in the evenings from 10pm onwards.

If you are bringing a carseat, I recommend getting one of the backpacks to carry it in. We did this since we usually rented a car. If you want to avoid the carseat issue you can go on buses/tours without it I think. In Cozumel, we went to a beach called Paradise Beach a few years back. Lots of services (showers, food, massages, water sports, etc.) and they had cute little birds my daughter really liked. You can get to anything around Cozumel by taxi easily. There are also other beaches, like the Chanakanab park is also nice, but a little pricey. They have a few animals, buildings, history info, great snorkeling, etc.

Belize City is a bit rough to say the least. I would recommend doing an excurision with the boat. I wouldn't feel safe going out on my own or even with a taxi since the driving is a bit scary. We went on a tour that included a boat ride which was very hot to look for animals and to some pyramid. Bathrooms here were pretty icky just FYI.

There are technically no diapers, even swim diapers in the pool, but there was a little splash pool on the Valor and kids were going in with swim diapers. The pool was about a foot deep, in full sun and was very much only for really little kids. Just FYI.

Costa Maya is one of my favorites. If you feel up to it, you can easily go to a pyramid, Chaccobin (spelled wrong). They have a board at the edge of the cruise terminal area that tells you the prices per person. I would recommend some bug spray there. I felt very good about the driver I had and people didn't seem to go really fast or anything. Roads were potted so it is a bit bouncy. If you don't want to go far, there is world class snorkeling and a decnt beach withing walking distnace of the dock.

Grand Caymen is so easy, taxis just to the beaches and they are amazing to say the least!

If you are going to do several beach days, I'd bring a few small sand toys.

Enjoy your trip.

Jenn

cruising w/our then 18-month old son was a great one.

Our ports of call included Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We planned beach days @all of these ports, and our son enjoyed the beach a lot. We brought a life jacket and spashed around w/him in the water. When he got tired, we just let him nap on a beach towel or lounge chair under an umbrella. We brought bottled water/juice boxes and small snacks on shore. But there was always something he would eat on any of the menus. We didn't bring his stroller b/c he was very big into walking and didn't want to ride in his stroller. But, if your child doesn't have this issue, I would definitely bring a stroller w/a shade for port days.

We cruised on the Carnival Conquest. Camp CArnival starts at age 3, but on days @sea they had "under 2 time" from 12pm-2pm. You could drop off your child or stay and play w/them. We stayed w/him and played. There was only 1 other child there and on just 1 of the days. He loved playing up there and would spend the whole 2 hours and then be exhausted enough for a nap.

Our cabin steward kept milk in our refrigerator. And we also brought on juice boxes and his favorite snacks. We packed a ton of diapers!! And we packed the inflatable pool for baths. He didn't even realize there was a pool on board, so not going in the pool never became an issue.

I hope you have a good time! I'm happy to answer any questions.

HappyChick and CaliforniaCruiser,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely have "help" while on the cruise, but I think I will want to be wherever my daughter is. I emailed someone a request for a packing list but haven't received it yet. Right now I am just brainstorming everyday for things that I might need. I also still need to decide what to do in Cozumel and Belize. I will scan those Port of Call boards and again and maybe ask some more questions.

Just over 3 weeks to go! I can't wait.

• 2 months later...

Archived