LAX or Long Beach??

Editor

Hi All:

We'll be on the Diamond's March 31, 2007 cruise to the Mexican Riviera. We'll be flying in from New York March 28 to visit the LA area first. Would we be better off flying into LAX and getting a hotel in LA (then on to the port on the 31st) or to Long Beach?

Thanks!

Long Beach is such a nice little airport that I wouldn't think twice. It reminded me of an airport 40 years ago with an outdoor baggage area. As soon as you step out, there are Taxis and car rental agencies just a few feet away. Very short cab ride to the piers. We flew last year for $1300 for 5 round trip. Continental from Newark to LAX was $1800. Of course, we bought our tickets as soon as they were available. If you wait, Jet Blue will be more than the other lines.

Long Beach has been the best air-cruise-air connection we've ever encountered. I just love the place, and would never fly into LAX if given the opportunity to use LGB. And the little diner upstairs is the best!

While Long Beach is a nice little airport, your choice of flights is limited, even using Jet Blue. Also, it's usually more expensive to fly into Long Beach (yes, even taking Jet Blue into consideration.)

Do your research and find the best flight/price for you. One thing to check into is the Princess pre-cruise package at the LAX Marriott. It was only $69/pp/night and included transfers to the pier the next day. Plus, we left our luggage in our room while we went to breakfast and it was taken and delivered directly to our cabin without having to lug it around. We rented a Hertz car at LAX and visited family in the area after landing at LAX. When we got to the Marriott, we were able to park the car right in the Marriott parking lot and leave the keys in the Hertz slot in the lobby. It couldn't have been more convenient.

We are flying from Boston or Providence to stay in the San Diego area and flying home after a cruise out of Long Beach. We are having a tough time deciding which airport to use too. I would love to watch a tv onboard, but may decide to take a less expensive airline to save money.

Travel agents can get you a bulk airfare that is cheaper if you book a car rental with it. I recommend you check it out before booking anything.

Long Beach is near the ship, but LAX is not very far. The cruiselines will offer transportation to either airport.

Over the years, I've noticed airfares to the west coast generally go on sale in October and November. Our son lives in the LA area, so we like to get bargain fares whenever possible.

Just my luck that I will wait and the fares will go up.

Just added a pre-cruise night at the LAX Marriott plus transfer to our Feb '07 Diamond cruise. My travel agent told me that we would be responsible for our luggage at the pier and need to get a porter. Being able to have the luggage transported from the hotel directly to our cabin seems too good to believe! Is this something new? Should I call Princess to verify since my TA gave me different info.?

Just added a pre-cruise night at the LAX Marriott plus transfer to our Feb '07 Diamond cruise. My travel agent told me that we would be responsible for our luggage at the pier and need to get a porter. Being able to have the luggage transported from the hotel directly to our cabin seems too good to believe! Is this something new? Should I call Princess to verify since my TA gave me different info.?
Unless it's changed in the last few months, your TA is incorrect. Here's the way it works: you leave your luggage tagged with your Princess tags in your room and go to breakfast; there'll be a Princess rep in the lobby with a list of which bus you're on and the approximate time it leaves; when your bus is called, you're walked through the hotel to the side entrance where all the luggage is lined up; you identify your luggage and it's put on the bus; when you arrive at the pier, you stay on the bus while all of the luggage is offloaded by porters and taken away in carts; you get off the bus and go into the terminal to check in. It's a very simple and easy process. Yes, you arrive with a busload of people and you don't arrive among the first at the pier but if that doesn't bother you, it's the way to go.

We are flying from Boston or Providence to stay in the San Diego area and flying home after a cruise out of Long Beach. We are having a tough time deciding which airport to use too. I would love to watch a tv onboard, but may decide to take a less expensive airline to save money.

In a few weeks I am flying from Long Beach to Boston via Jet Blue. Total for round trip is around $350 and that includes all the taxes. When I fly I always check Long Beach first, then I check LAX and Orange County. Unless there is a significant savings at one of the other airports I go with Long Beach. But there are someplaces you just can't fly to from Long Beach. I think there are only about 30 to 40 flights a day to Long Beach.

I researched my options for LAX and Long Beach. It's cheaper to fly to LAX from New York and there are more flight options also. My parents will be flying in from Tampa and all flights to Long Beach have connections. They can fly direct into LAX. I think we have no choice but to fly to LAX, rent a car, and drive to Long Beach and make that our home base before the cruise.

We can't take advantage of Princess's pre-night cruise package because we'll be getting in the Wednesday before the cruise.

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to fire away.

Thanks!!

We flew into Long Beach for our Diamond Princess cruise and we loved it, it really is a lovely little airport, nothing like LAX!! We also got a great price out of Boston on America West, had to change in Phoenix but the connections were smooth. If the price is comparable, I would choose Long Beach with no hesitation.

Archived