Dollar car rental in Fort Lauderdale

Taf

Does anyone know if Dollar has a shuttle from their lot to the pier?

Are their premises actually at the airport (near Taxi`s etc) or off site?

We are renting a car in Miami to drop off in Fll, then picking up again in FLL and dropping off back in Miami.

I just want to know how easy it will be, regarding luggage - should we drop off the luggage near a taxi rank , then return the car, go back to the taxi etc....or use thier shuttle to the ship. I don`t mind the cost of a taxi - we are 7 people - but just need to know how easy it is from Dollar lot.

Hope someone can help

Thanks!

The Dollar rental agency is on the airport property opposite terminal 1. All of the rental agencies are under one roof sharing a single building building (like a giant parking garage). Taxicabs are readily available. It is very easy to just drop off your car and walk the very short distance to your cab. ;)

//////////////

Hi Bequia,

that is exactly the info I was looking for.

I have often read your great answers on other posts, about hotels, restaurants, locations etc - you are a very great help with advice in the fort Lauderdale area - thank you!:)

Thanks for that Bequia, we are doing the same thing as the OP renting at MIA and dropping the car off at FLL before going on the cruise.

My question is will it be easy for someone who is struggling to stay on the 'right' side of the road to find the area to return hire cars to at FLL. In other words is it well signposted as I won't want to end up in arrivals or departures.

I've done a lot of research on this topic because we are renting a van in MIA and dropping it off in FLL. And then renting in FLL and dropping it off in MIA.

First I want to offer the discount code that I found. It's KISS2. If you visit the Kissimee Tourist bureau site, you will get this special code. To book the rate online, you have to click the special tab at the top first. Got my minivan for 1 day $41.86 USD total, unlimited mileage.

When you arrive at the FLL airport to drop off your rental, tell the person at the desk that you need a shuttle and they will direct you. There is one though.

When you get off the ship in FLL:

If customers are arriving on one of the Cruise ships and require transportation to the Dollar location located at the Rent a Car Center,please proceed to the designated Rent a Car shuttle pick up area for assistance. This service runs approximately every 45 minutes. Call the location at 954-377-8550 if you have any question or require additional information. For pickup at the Port Everglades, Dollar has contracted witha company called "Shuttle Port". They will shuttle the customerto the airport, where they will be dropped off at the CommonCar Rental Building. The shuttles run at set times: 12 noon 12:45 p.m. 1:30 p.m 2:15 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. You should proceed to the Car Rental Pick Up Area at the Port to catch the shuttle.There is no charge.

This was from the website.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that Bequia, we are doing the same thing as the OP renting at MIA and dropping the car off at FLL before going on the cruise.

My question is will it be easy for someone who is struggling to stay on the 'right' side of the road to find the area to return hire cars to at FLL. In other words is it well signposted as I won't want to end up in arrivals or departures.

Darspurs, I know exactly what you mean about being on the 'right' side of the road especially when visiting family in Broadstairs. :p

The signage is excellent. Millions visit SoFla every year and it's important that it's clearly laid out for the casual visitor. Trust me, as long as you are using one of the 'major' car rental firms, you will have no problems locating the rental car facilities at Ft Lauderdale airport. ;)

////////////////////////////////

• 3 months later...

I just found out today that Hertz also has a free shuttle to/from the port & the aiport. It run every 15 minutes, 7 days a week when ships are in.

They do recommend you tell the folks at the car rental counter so they can plan accordingly. This is info coming directly from a customer service rep. who was helping me on a different question.

thanks sooo much!! we will be doing a pre cruise in orlando and seeing mickey

for a couple days. We will leave orlando the day of our cruise and drive down drop the car off at fll airport, so the shuttle will really help us out!!

do you think it makes sense to drop me and my daughter at the cruise terminal

and then let my husband drop off the car? I just thought less luggage, less confusion.

cheryl

Thanks for the information about the rental cars. We are flying in one day ahead of time before our cruise. I just rented a mini-van from Dollar and we will return it the next day and take the shuttle. I can't wait we are almost at the two week mark!

Archived