Hi all...new to celebrity have Mercury???

mlmagic

A search on this board will result in much information on Mercury for your reading pleasure. Opinions on this ship are wildly divergent and should make your decision making process interesting.

I enjoy cruising with my mom as well; IMO it makes a perfect mother-daughter getaway.

A search on this board will result in much information on Mercury for your reading pleasure. Opinions on this ship are wildly divergent and should make your decision making process interesting.

I enjoy cruising with my mom as well; IMO it makes a perfect mother-daughter getaway.

Exactly...My Mom and I always do something once a year for M/D getaway, we started adding up all we $spend$ "on Land" and decided since we live near Seattle, we could do a 4 or 5 night repo. cruise for about the same and foods included!:) Thanks for the info, will do the search...

~Lysa

OOhhh...:eek: scary search on The Mercury, gesh...makes me want to run back to Princess! I certainly try to be objective when you read bad "stuff" I can't imagine ANY cruise line letting a ship look like these OP say Mercury looks like...I guess I will just take my chances and pray they are wrong, the IT is perfect for a quick getaway RT Seattle...

~Lysa:)

OOhhh...:eek: scary search on The Mercury, gesh...makes me want to run back to Princess! I certainly try to be objective when you read bad "stuff" I can't imagine ANY cruise line letting a ship look like these OP say Mercury looks like...I guess I will just take my chances and pray they are wrong, the IT is perfect for a quick getaway RT Seattle...

~Lysa:)

If you can go 10/3, the cabins are dirt cheap.

I was on Mercury last October with my mom and a small group.

If you can get a great price, go, but have your expectations in order about the ship itself. She needs some TLC - but for a short cruise, I think you and your mom will be fine.

If you can go 10/3, the cabins are dirt cheap.

I was on Mercury last October with my mom and a small group.

If you can get a great price, go, but have your expectations in order about the ship itself. She needs some TLC - but for a short cruise, I think you and your mom will be fine.

Thanks for your help, when you say TLC..is the ship clean, beds OK, the OVERALL impression good? We are not naggers per sey...but gross is a whole other thing!! Your reply is much appreciated. It will be my Mom's first cruise, so even though it's short, still want her happy:)

~Lysa

I think you will find every ship within a cruise line different. We sailed on the "Mercury" in 12/04 for 11 nights and loved it. Great service and food. Didn't experience any scary things. :)

I don't care for some of the Princess ships I have tried. Although, I loved the Sapphire Princess. So, I think it all varies from ship to ship within the cruise line. But, I always feel better to cruise than not.

So, nice you are doing a mother/daughter cruise and doing things together. Wish I had done those things with my mother. She loved cruising and I didn't appreciate it when she was doing it. Now, that I am older and have done it a number of times I understand how fabulous it is. But, now it is too late for mom and I. Cherish those times together.:)

Thanks for your help, when you say TLC..is the ship clean, beds OK, the OVERALL impression good? We are not naggers per sey...but gross is a whole other thing!! Your reply is much appreciated. It will be my Mom's first cruise, so even though it's short, still want her happy:)

~Lysa

Ship is clean, yes. Most definitiely NOT gross! Not sure what other ships you have been on to compare it to and that would be helpful.

Overall impression for a first time cruiser would be good, IMO. She is a perfect size and carries a nice number of passengers, not too crowded. Easy to navigate. My mom enjoyed the T pool in the afternoons before her nap:).

Some of the furniture needs to be replaced and there are areas where Mercury shows her age. I would not consider her luxurious, rather, comfortable.

Cabins are looking old in terms of condition of soft goods and bathrooms. We had a Deluxe Ocean View. Spacious with big windows. Beds are pretty old with thin mattresses. I am spoiled by nice bedding when I travel so was not very happy with it. You can request an egg crate and it helps.

Our bathroom sink was cracked and chipped, shower curtain had seen better days, towels were not fluffy. "Worn" is a good way to describe it. Our group of 25 had quite a few cabins and the consensus was the same.

The gym is small and outdated and two treadmills were dead for the duration. I am a gymrat so this was important to me, but irrelevant I am sure for others.

We all enjoyed the food and service in the dining room. Mom went to the shows and liked them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mlmagic, not sure when you want to sail on Mercury. If it is next year, she is going into drydock in April to spiff her up for the down under sailings starting Dec 2007, so all bedding etc should be great then. If not, there are some amazing prices on short trips right now. I love the itinerary of the Oct 2 one. We would have been on that one but we are expecting a grandbaby to arrive tonight!

I think you will find every ship within a cruise line different. We sailed on the "Mercury" in 12/04 for 11 nights and loved it. Great service and food. Didn't experience any scary things. :)

I don't care for some of the Princess ships I have tried. Although, I loved the Sapphire Princess. So, I think it all varies from ship to ship within the cruise line. But, I always feel better to cruise than not.

So, nice you are doing a mother/daughter cruise and doing things together. Wish I had done those things with my mother. She loved cruising and I didn't appreciate it when she was doing it. Now, that I am older and have done it a number of times I understand how fabulous it is. But, now it is too late for mom and I. Cherish those times together.:)

Thanks Sherry...I cherish every moment I have, she is getting older and limited, so I want to take her on a cruise, for the first time in her life...:)

~Lysa

Ship is clean, yes. Most definitiely NOT gross! Not sure what other ships you have been on to compare it to and that would be helpful.

Overall impression for a first time cruiser would be good, IMO. She is a perfect size and carries a nice number of passengers, not too crowded. Easy to navigate. My mom enjoyed the T pool in the afternoons before her nap:).

Some of the furniture needs to be replaced and there are areas where Mercury shows her age. I would not consider her luxurious, rather, comfortable.

Cabins are looking old in terms of condition of soft goods and bathrooms. We had a Deluxe Ocean View. Spacious with big windows. Beds are pretty old with thin mattresses. I am spoiled by nice bedding when I travel so was not very happy with it. You can request an egg crate and it helps.

Our bathroom sink was cracked and chipped, shower curtain had seen better days, towels were not fluffy. "Worn" is a good way to describe it. Our group of 25 had quite a few cabins and the consensus was the same.

The gym is small and outdated and two treadmills were dead for the duration. I am a gymrat so this was important to me, but irrelevant I am sure for others.

We all enjoyed the food and service in the dining room. Mom went to the shows and liked them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks so much, all info helps, for a first cruise, my Mom I am sure will be wowed, cruising is sooo awesome!:)

Mlmagic, not sure when you want to sail on Mercury. If it is next year, she is going into drydock in April to spiff her up for the down under sailings starting Dec 2007, so all bedding etc should be great then. If not, there are some amazing prices on short trips right now. I love the itinerary of the Oct 2 one. We would have been on that one but we are expecting a grandbaby to arrive tonight!

Thanks teabag...and congrats on the baby! We are booking for Sept 24th 2007 pacific coast cruise, so hopefully by then, she will be all spiffed up!!:)

Archived