Advice for cruising with an infant?

el820

My wife & I booked a cruise aboard the Crown Princess for Oct. 18, and we'll be bringing our infant with us. The last time we cruised was 6 years ago, and we were childless then.

Can you folks provide some advice for parents cruising with an infant? The DOs and the DONTs, things to bring along and things to watch out for.

Thanks in advance.

Bring your own Pack n' Play.

Bring a small, easily maneuverable stroller.

Don't let your child cry a lot, especially at night and early in the morning. It's easy to hear through the thin walls on ships.

Take turns taking care of your child for a few hours so each of you has a little free time.

Relax, don't let the nasty looks get you down and have a great time!

I wish I was on this cruise with you, I would snuggle that baby so you guys could go to dinner, a show, swim, whatever, haha! My youngest...and last...is now 13 1/2 months, and I am already feeling the no more baby blues.

Have a great time no matter what, you deserve it!

Sharon

Stay in a balcony cabin so you have someplace to sit while your baby naps, and in the evening between the baby's bedtime and yours.

Bring all supplies with you (diapers, etc) so you won't have to buy them in expensivce places.

Think ahead of time about how you're going to manage things like sharing a small space with an infant, not being able to swim together, or go out in the evening, how you'll manage meals if the baby gets fussy, what things you can do in port with an infant.

For me, a cruise with a baby would bot have been fun, but I think if you picture how you'll be spending your time and how a baby will fit in to those activities, you'll be better prepared and it will go easier for you.

I would try to find someone you trust to care for your infant at home. One, Daddy and Mommy could probably use the break, two, Novo Virus can be deadly to infants, three, cruise ships are not set up for infants. However, if you have no one to care for your infant that you trust then I am sure you will have a great time. Passengers usually don't give you dirty looks for infants just at the parents that bring their out of control children and let them run all over the ship without any respect. Please don't take this wrong, I have 3 children (though they are all grown up now) and I love children, I just don't think a cruise ship are for infants or young children. I would certainly bring your own crib or sleeping device, I would not think the ones that the cruise line offers are very clean. I would also suggest you do not place your infant on any ship bedding, they can have bed bugs or lice (Carnival is known for this). I hope however it works out you have a wonderful cruise and Congrats on your new little one.

We cruised with our twins when they were 7 months old. We didn't plan anything and just went with the flow. Bring a pack-n-play. We found a quiet, shady place on a deck, grabbed two lounge chairs, set up the pack-n-play, and while the kids slept, we read. It was a very relaxing vacation (we cruised NY to Bermuda). The staff was wonderful, keeping our ice bucket filled all day so we could keep prepared bottles cool. We ate dinner quickly so that if one of the kids got fussy, we could easily escape. The room was crowded, but we expected that. And umbrella strollers are the way to go. They fold up small and don't take up much room when not in use.

Go and have a great time!!

Thanks for all the tips.

It's too late to reconsider, we already booked for 3 of us. Besides, we never thought about leaving him behind with our parents, we would miss him too much. :D Two weeks is long time away from our infant.

We initially made plans to travel with his grandparents, but something came up and they had to back out. It would have been nice for them to come along and babysit for us. :)

We are just looking for some tips to make the cruise more enjoyable for all of us.

Anyone here boarding the Crown Princess on Oct 18?

I think my friend Sandy, her husband and their adult son are on that sailing. If you check the "Cruise Tracker" on Cruise Addicts, you'll find a list of some of the people who are on your sailing.

I commend you for bringing your baby. Why do we have kids if we're not going to be the ones taking care of them? I have never understood the mentality of pawning your kid off on someone else so you can get away for "me" time. Kids need to be with their parents. Call me crazy. Guess I'm old fashioned. :cool:

Why do we have kids if we're not going to be the ones taking care of them? I have never understood the mentality of pawning your kid off on someone else so you can get away for "me" time. Kids need to be with their parents. Call me crazy. :cool:

OK if you insist.

We do take care of them. And worry about them 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year (even when we're on vacation without them). We don't "pawn" them off on anyone. They need bonding time with grand parents as much as we need time away to reconect and rejunivate. Sometimes we'd trade with friends, sometimes they'd be at 4H camp.

"We" are the basis and foundation of the family and if our relationship is not in great shape, neither will be the family.

If there isn't a 'we' there isn't a family.:eek:

Kids do not need to be with their parents 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Guess that letting our youngest go on a 3 week People to People adventure to Austraila and New Zeland must have been out of line:eek:

And 2 weeks is probably too long to leave and infant with Grandma.

here's my advice:

1. make a list of what you need (car seat, formula, sippy cups, Cheerios, etc.)

2. if flying, go a day ahead and make a stop at a local store (grocery, Target...), and stock up. Don't trust the ship to stock the diapers your child uses.

3. relax. Don't worry about getting off the ship at every port. When taking our little one on her first cruise at 23 months, we got off at a port that had a little marketplace right there (Ensenada) and didn't bother to go into town. And port days are often the best time to use the washer.

4. don't worry about those who say your kid won't remember. You'll remembered that your family had a great time and you will have photos of your little one exploring the ship and being doted on by the crew members.

OK if you insist.

We do take care of them. And worry about them 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year (even when we're on vacation without them). We don't "pawn" them off on anyone. They need bonding time with grand parents as much as we need time away to reconect and rejunivate. Sometimes we'd trade with friends, sometimes they'd be at 4H camp.

"We" are the basis and foundation of the family and if our relationship is not in great shape, neither will be the family.

If there isn't a 'we' there isn't a family.:eek:

Kids do not need to be with their parents 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Guess that letting our youngest go on a 3 week People to People adventure to Austraila and New Zeland must have been out of line:eek:

And 2 weeks is probably too long to leave and infant with Grandma.

No, I wasn't saying YOU do, I meant that in a GENERAL sense and no, of course, the People to People adventure was great, I'm sure. My son's best friend did this and it was a valuable learning experience and fun too! :)

How old is your infant?

We just got off Pride of Hawaii with our 4 month old and he was super easy : )

I've been on Princess with my daughter a while back. I ordered baby food for her ahead of time and if you need that, I would double check on your order. We had to FAX someone at corporate for it. They only have Gerber brands and are pretty generous. I've always phrased it as 20 fruits assorted and 20 veggies and had plenty to choose from.

I would recommend a stroller with canopy also. Used this for everything. If they can sleep in it while you are sitting in the jacuzzi, what a wonderful feeling!

Our son sleeps in his bouncy chair often so that is what we bring, doubles as a toy/vibration thing that he really likes. Ours breaks apart and fits in the suitcase easily.

I'd bring every medication you can think of. Ibruprofin, acetominophen and even whatever they give you for ear infections. It is really inconvenient to find infant meds!

Bring some extra ziplock bags, swim diapers and a spare hat or 2.

Enjoy your vacation,

Jenn

cruise ships are not set up for infants

I found Princess to be very welcoming and hospitable to babies and toddlers. They will provide baby food (there is a request form you fill out ahead of time) and pack n plays. You do need to bring more than enough diapers, over-the-counter medication, formula etc. When I brought my twins, I also brought their bouncie chairs (we drove to the port, so I just stuck luggage tags on them and they were delivered to our cabin). Strollers are easy to manuever around the ship since all public areas are accessible to wheelchairs (our stroller wouldn't fit through the cabin door though, so I had to fold it each time).

I don't think there's any better way to travel with babies or toddlers - we tried a resort and Disney, and both were more expensive and far less fun and relaxing than our cruise. We have two more booked - including the Diamond next week.

Best,

Mia

Archived