Question about cameras and St. Petersburg

SF

We'll be visiting St. Petersburg and I'd like some suggestions from my fellow cruise critic friends what to do in regards to this dilemma.

Our son has a camera bag with various lens in it that he always carries around. I read that some sights don't let you bring anything inside but it must be checked. Since his equipment is quite expensive I doubt he'll want to do that. How safe do you think it would be if checked? We'll be on a private tour but leaving it in the van is also questionable as afterall, if it's not there when we return there wouldn't be much we could do. What do you all suggest?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Like I said above I'm not sure we'd feel safe leaving it in the van as the equipment plus lens are expensive and should it be taken there would be nothing we could do. I have no problem leaving my backpack but I was wondering if there was any other suggestions in regards to the camera lens. He doesn't want to leave it on the ship since that's the reason we're there ....to sightsee and take pictures. Can you take your camera into all the buildings or is that also against the rules in some places too?

We were on a Denrus tour, and didn't feel uncomfortable leaving our bags in the car. That said, I took my camera in all of the venues with not problem, as Denrus bought the photo permits. A small bag may be permitted, but most backpacks were required to be checked. If he really insists on bringing multiple lenses, you might consider just carrying lens cases, which you can string on a neck cord. As long as the cases are small, I don't think he will have a problem. If he wants to keep all of the lenses in a single backpack, he will likely have some concerns.

Thanks Jim, that's a good idea about carrying the extra lens separately. We have no problem leaving the bag with the other items in the van but with the information you provided (being able to take small items in) that may solve our problem. Appreciate the help.:)

We took our cameras on the first day, second day, we left everything in the van. good thing, everything looks pretty similar as far as the insides of the castles, and churches. Redoctober here. Felt completely safe, eventhough our cameras and equipments also cost a bundle. Of course, we took our wallets with $$ with us, we're trustworthy, but not that trustworthy!

• 2 months later...

Archived