NCL MBNA Card - So Far Not Impressed

Tom O.

I booked my first NCL cruise (after several Princess Cruises). It is not until January, 2008, so I decided to get the MBNA NCL card so I can get a discount before I have to make final payment.

I just got the card, and the first thing I tried to do was set up automatic payments from my bank account. I have done this with every other card I have ever had. I hate paying bills.

Well, the MBNA card is the first card I have ever run accross where you cannot do this. They will only set up an automatic payment for a set amount (which will be the same each month). This is useless, as the minimum due and balance will be different each month. Every other card allows you to set up automatic payments for either a)the minumum due; b)the total balance; or c)a set amount. I always pick the minimum due, that way I won't ever accidently miss a payment if I am out of town or forgetful. Then I will make an extra manual payment online, so I don't build up a large balance.

Another thing, with my card I received nothing about how the points system worked. No rules, nothing. In fact, the points weren't even mentioned. I went to their web site and found nothing there either. So far, the only information I have found on how to collect and redeem points is what I have found out here on this board. I would really like to read something official.

Unlike CapitalOne, I can choose the date to have payment made from my bank account...so that's one plus for the NCL card. The biggest plus, however, is that I'm saving $1000 off our upcoming Jewel cruise, and quickly building toward a significant savings on the cruise that will follow.

Some see half-full...some half-empty. It's the latter that rush to the internet to tell the world.

I am pleased with the card. I will be saving $500 off our January cruise. And probably $1000 off our cruise next Sept.

I can pay the bill online through my bank, and it's easy. I am not worried about scheduling an automated payment. I prefer to go online with my bills and pick the date and the amount that will be coming out of my account.

The points are easy:

You earn 3 points for every $100 spent (4 points for every $100 spent with NCL). You can earn up to 1000 max point in a year, up to 250 max in a month. If you can afford to spend more than this, then get 2 or more accounts.

For every 500 points you earn, you can redeem for a certificate worth $500 off a cruise. You can use multiple certificates toward your final payment.

There are upgrades available for redemption at lower levels, but frankly, they're not really worth it. Save until you earn 500 points.

TomO, they do have an obligation to tell you the terms of the program; i.e how to earn points and how to redeem them. Call MBNA back and ask them to send you a copy of the little rules booklet. The NCL card is by far the superior of the cruise line affinity cards out there. You can earn significant discounts off future cruises much, much quicker than with the Carnival or Royal Caribbean cards. So while this card may not offer some of the financial features you desire, it will definitely get you a free cruise much sooner. And that should be your reason for using this card.BobK/Orlando

Thanks for the replies, even the negative ones. I am over my disappointment now. I realize that I can live with its shortcomings, I just wish it was a little easier to set up the auto payments.

Thanks for the information.

I don't worry about the automatic payment, and I love the program. I get on, each time I get the statement, and set up the payment for that month's entire bill -- you can select the day that it's withdrawn, and that has worked fine for me.

Saved $1500 on cruises so far, and have another 400 points built up. Let's see, where shall I go next :D ?

You should, however, have gotten a copy of the rules for the program. As one of the previous posters suggested, just call the bank and have them send you one.

Happy saving!

Can anyone tell me how long you have to apply the points to a cruise. Do you lose them after a certain amount of time.?

Also how long after final payment would you have to redeem your points and put it toward the cruise. The reason I am asking is that I just made final payment and that gives me enough points for a certificate.

Looking forward to any advice.

Leona

Thanks for the replies, even the negative ones. I am over my disappointment now. I realize that I can live with its shortcomings, I just wish it was a little easier to set up the auto payments.

I can certainly understand your feelings. In trying to get automatic payments set up, I've had to do so individually with each creditor. They are all very different in their user-friendliness, making some a real pain. What you wanted to do, setting up a regular minimum payment, would have been great. But I guess you'll have to settle for the rewards program, which is really good.

For Leona, here's a nutshell look at the program:

Earning points:

Retail purchases anywhere: 3%

NCL products and services: 4% (3% + 1%)

Maximum earnable:

Per month: 250 points (from charges of $6,250 NCL only or $8,333 other only)

Per year: 1,000 points (from charges of $25,000 NCL only or $33,333 other only)

Points accumulate for a maximum of 3 years.

If you plan on accumulating more than 1,000 points a year, open a second (or more) NCL credit card.

KingBob described the expiration of points well.

I think that these inconveniences will be moot once you start redeeming points for curises. I applied $1500 to my Europe cruise, and already have nearly 400 in points saved up for my SA cruise in March. I love the card. This will be the 4th time I've applied points ($$$) to my cruise balances.

Tom

Here is an option. You can set the auto pay for $100 just in case you forget to login. If your balance is not more then $100 you are not using the card enough to make it worthwhile. If you minimum is more then $100 you are in worse shape. Either carrying a balance and having interest more then offset the value of the points or you charged to much in a single month and exceeded the 250 point max.

I login the first of every month (mortgage due) and schedule all the payments for the month at the same time.

Here is an option. You can set the auto pay for $100 just in case you forget to login. If your balance is not more then $100 you are not using the card enough to make it worthwhile. If you minimum is more then $100 you are in worse shape.

That is a good idea, thanks. I will give that a try.

Sorry to everyone for starting a thread that sounds so negative. I've never done that before. Next time if I am upset with something, I will sit down and think about it before I post something. Life is too short to be upset over such petty things.

At least I didn't start threads about how awful the ship's shampoo is or how uncomfortable the bed sheets are. (I have seen threads on both those subjects.)

That's a good idea, Shoreguy, and it worked well with our joint card. When DW applied for her own card, the due date ended up straddling the end of the month with the beginning of the next month rendering the $100 payment useless.

Another benefit of the card is ShopSafe. We use this feature often and makes shopping online much safer.

That is a good idea, thanks. I will give that a try.

Sorry to everyone for starting a thread that sounds so negative. I've never done that before. Next time if I am upset with something, I will sit down and think about it before I post something. Life is too short to be upset over such petty things.

At least I didn't start threads about how awful the ship's shampoo is or how uncomfortable the bed sheets are. (I have seen threads on both those subjects.)

One other suggestion I have in case you end up with multiple cards (I hate to admit how many I have). I have a spreadsheet set up and everytime I receive my new statement, I go and log the points, and likewise when I redeem points I deduct them. This, prevents me from making a mistake in managing the maximum number of points allowed in a year.

I too don't like their online payment system as it does not allow you to automatically pay the entire amount. However, like others have said here this inconvenience outweighs the benefits of points.

When you book your next cruise like we did on the star last february and turn in $2000.00 worth of free coupon money to virtually get a free balcony room, all of these minor inconveniences will seem insignificant. T We've done 6 cruises since we started using the "Cruise Card" about 13 years ago and most of them have been almost free. We put everything we can on it and pay if off every month. I have to go on-line every month to fill in the right amount, but I'm glad to do it so I can see how many more points I've racked up! It's a joy not a bother. It just gets me excited for my next cruise. We're going again next month and taking our 2 kids. We originally payed for the whole thing with vouchers. Then we were offered to upgrade to an owners suite after our final payement was all in. The upsell was for 800.00 and guess what, they even accepted another 500 dollar MBNA voucher toward the upsell, so 4 of us are staying in an owners suite for about 300 dollars out of pocket. Trust me, you'll be happy about the program soon enough!:p

One other suggestion I have in case you end up with multiple cards (I hate to admit how many I have). I have a spreadsheet set up and everytime I receive my new statement, I go and log the points, and likewise when I redeem points I deduct them. This, prevents me from making a mistake in managing the maximum number of points allowed in a year.

I do the same for our 3 accounts. With our excel spreadsheet, we don't overcharge on a card that will not accrue points. I also track when the points will expire to be sure I claim them in the correct order.

Great idea!

Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of your spreadshet model so I do not have to recreate the wheel? ( zimomiller@aol.com )

Just received 6 $500 certificates in the mail on Friday. Called in my request 9/14/06 and they were in my mailbox Friday 9/22. Damn fast, and I did NOT pay for the expedited service.

Are some of you paying your mortgage payment using the MBNA card? If so, how are you doing that? And I'm confused about the "automatic payments" you are doing each month......what is that all about? Is MBNA giving you cruise points for paying bills? This appears to be a feature I must have overlooked! Thanks, BobK/Orlando

Are some of you paying your mortgage payment using the MBNA card? If so, how are you doing that? And I'm confused about the "automatic payments" you are doing each month......what is that all about? Is MBNA giving you cruise points for paying bills? This appears to be a feature I must have overlooked! Thanks, BobK/Orlando

We are able to pay our insurance, cable internet, satellite TV, and telephone bills by charging them on-line to the NCL credit card. Our gas and electric companies do not accept credit cards, unfortunately, and we have no mortgage at this stage.

Great idea!

Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of your spreadshet model so I do not have to recreate the wheel? ( zimomiller@aol.com )

Just received 6 $500 certificates in the mail on Friday. Called in my request 9/14/06 and they were in my mailbox Friday 9/22. Damn fast, and I did NOT pay for the expedited service.

I sent you an example of the my file. I hope it helps.

Archived