Cuban Cigars?

mzbiggs

The only place on the Conquest itinerary that I would buy a Cuban cigar with any confidence is in La Casa del Habano in Georgetown on Grand Cayman. The store is near the tender pier. You will pay dearly for them though. Just google "La Casa del Habano Grand Cayman" and I'm sure you will find them.

The Cuban cigar topic comes up here frequently. You might want to do a search and read a few of the threads. You can find some very usefull information.

I've seen people have them taken away when they get back to the US.

When my husband was on the Cuban cigar kick, he never quite trusted that what he was buying was actually what they said it was. Maybe he just didn't really know enough about cigars! (just as well!!)

When my husband was on the Cuban cigar kick, he never quite trusted that what he was buying was actually what they said it was. Maybe he just didn't really know enough about cigars! (just as well!!)

Spotting fake Cuban cigars

from

http://www.smokemag.com/0398/feature.htm

The Ultimate Counterfeit Cuban Cigar Primer

from

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/index.html

I purchased Cubans in Dominica back in August. I paid $75 for 5 Cohibas..don't know if that's high or not but oh well over n done with now. I also brought them back to the US. I just had them in my carry on. No questions asked about cigars from Customs. They just asked if we were bringing back plants or fruits.

Just recently off of the Celebration and we were told that you can buy Cuban Cigars, but you can't bring them back into the US with you. Thats what we were told on our last day during our Dembarkment Talk
Ah, but you can smoke them on the ship before you hit the US. ;)

You can buy them anywhere but on my last cruise the cruise director asked if anyone had Cuban's? One man held his hand up. The cruise director said to smoke them now and asked all the other passengers in the room (show arena) to help him. We should have a big smoke out. Everyone was laughing. The CD said that the port employees are so strict now. The dogs smell every suitcase in the departure area and if the dog smells something they make a gesture like they are smoking pot. As a joke. It sounded scary to me. He said not to take anything off the boat that was illegal or like cuban cigars. Most people bought liquor in port and had it stored in the storage area. It came to their cabins that morning or if you bought booze at the gift shop.

I brought booze onto the ship but it was american booze and about 2 bottles of wine. I know you can fly with a liter of booze with no problem.

As for cigars, I don't know. Ask the Carnival employees there or call the Carnival phone line.

Hope that helps.

It's against the law to take Cuban cigars over, thru, or under the U.S.

I suspect the penalty for getting caught will be a bit more painful than a speeding ticket if caught... I wouldn't doubt there could be the possibility of federal jail time...:eek:

I'm sure you could fine them easier in the USA itself... just ask your local pot dealer. I'm sure he can get Cubans for you... :D

It's against the law to take Cuban cigars over, thru, or under the U.S.

I suspect the penalty for getting caught will be a bit more painful than a speeding ticket if caught... I wouldn't doubt there could be the possibility of federal jail time...:eek:

I'm sure you could fine them easier in the USA itself... just ask your local pot dealer. I'm sure he can get Cubans for you... :D

. The penalty for violating this law is a civil fine of up to $55,000 per violation or, in some cases, criminal prosecution.

from

http://www.slate.com/id/2096338/

• 2 weeks later...
It is actually illegal for US citizens to purchase Cuban cigars, even in other countries like Mexico or Grand Cayman. It is not illegal to smoke them outside the country.

Unfortunately, correct. So you can have someone from Canada you've befriended on board to buy them like I did :rolleyes:

Try Churchill's Cigars in the Anchorage Center in Downtown George Town, OP. They are an authorized dealer, and they are close to the tender pier.

http://www.habanos.com/distribucion.asp

Well cuban cigars are so over reated there not the same cigar anymore. Go with the Dominican cigar there rated the best cigars in the world! They use the cuban seed the soil is better and the overall quality is better and you are always getting a fresh cigar. And guess what its not a crime to bring them home!! My two cents.

All they do is confiscate them... I've seen it happen several times, and NObody ever got fined, or arrested, or any of that hokum. It's not an illegal substance, it is breaking a trade law - to the Customs people, that's a whole different ballgame.

Myself, I join the smoke-out on the last night at sea...

(Of course, I wrote that only in case the NSA is eavesdropping on CC...)

By purchasing them in the first place you are subject to much more - not that it is enforced, but someone has to balance the budget:

"Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range

up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for

individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties

of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC."

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

Archived