Smoking Cabin

tinydancer21

Okay livtojump it's not "smokers are a different bread" it's smokers are a different breed.

How typical of a smoker who knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on to bring up something so lame as to change the subject.

Smoking in a designated area? Right, like smokers pay attention to that.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing to debate here, smoking is what it is. I don't have to convince anyone of something I already know, and that is that I NEVER will be acceptable of smoke in any way shape or form.

I don't expect anyone to understand that, I don't need to explain what happened in my life that caused me to feel this way. If you knew the story behind my "attitude" toward smoking, I have a feeling you'd be a bit embarrassed to give me a hard time for feeling like I do.

What kind of breed of people are we??? Is there a name for the breed of people that smoke???? I would love to know the answer to this so I can tell everyone I am not considered an American I am considered a separate breed of my own...One thing that really upsets me are non smokers that bundle smokers in a 2nd class citizen group...

I for one try to smoke inside my cabin and only if no one is out on the balcony next to me do I smoke on the balcony..I do not smoke in elevators (for one it is against the law) or in non smoking areas..So to say we are a certain breed is an uncalled statement.

Okay livtojump it's not "smokers are a different bread" it's smokers are a different breed.

How typical of a smoker who knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on to bring up something so lame as to change the subject.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing to debate here, smoking is what it is. I don't have to convince anyone of something I already know, and that is that I NEVER will be acceptable of smoke in any way shape or form.

I don't expect anyone to understand that, I don't need to explain what happened in my life that caused me to feel this way. If you knew the story behind my "attitude" toward smoking, I have a feeling you'd be a bit embarrassed to give me a hard time for feeling like I do.

Emme, let me start by saying "Peace." I have known and have been with (intimately) a smoker and let me tell you, they are NOT a different breed. As a non-smoker, I can tell you that the one I have been with has gone out of his way to NOT intrude on my "space" or feelings regarding smoking. I will be the first one to tell someone about the health issues and the "smell" issues and any other issues I can come up with however, I have known smokers who are college educated (Master's degrees) who are the some of the most intellectual people I have ever encountered. And then there are those who didn't even graduate from high school. I fall in the middle of these folks, Bachelor's degree and a non-smoker. I can tell you this, I have been VERY active with the ACS and the Relay For Life for 6 years now. Never had anyone in my family die from cancer but that's how strongly I feel about it. I have learned one thing though, you can't change their choice. If one chooses to smoke, that is their option, not yours to make. If it were up to me, it would be illegal in the U.S. but last time I checked, I was not elected President so for the time being, I will worry about me and mine and let the rest of the population make their own decisions.

BTW, I know for a fact that a lot of smokers DO respect those that do not smoke and go out of their way to accommodate them. Wish I could say the same for some other habits that people have.

Emme, my own father died of lung cancer and other complications after years of smoking.

You can't lump all smokers into a "breed". I just told you that we pay attention to where we can and can't smoke. Do I need to repeat that again?

Emme-

I'm sorry for whatever has happened in your life to make you have so much contempt for those you have never met and joined on a happy vacation message board. There is no place for your personal attacks here. Opinions are one thing, attacks are quite another since you have never met anyone on this thread, I'm sure to back up your finger pointing. I actually hope to have someone like you on the balcony next to me just to prove how wrong and hateful you are towards smokers. BTW, I have an extended aft balcony- I doubt that my smoke will go towards you! I have been quite offended by your tone in your postings personally putting everyone into one big "I hate all of you" group. Please lighten up and just enjoy your time on the wonderful board with all the wonderful folks involved on it. Sorry if I've offended anyone in my posting this message. I'm not one to do this normally :)

Emme-

I'm sorry for whatever has happened in your life to make you have so much contempt for those you have never met and joined on a happy vacation message board. There is no place for your personal attacks here. Opinions are one thing, attacks are quite another since you have never met anyone on this thread, I'm sure to back up your finger pointing. I actually hope to have someone like you on the balcony next to me just to prove how wrong and hateful you are towards smokers. BTW, I have an extended aft balcony- I doubt that my smoke will go towards you! I have been quite offended by your tone in your postings personally putting everyone into one big "I hate all of you" group. Please lighten up and just enjoy your time on the wonderful board with all the wonderful folks involved on it. Sorry if I've offended anyone in my posting this message. I'm not one to do this normally :)

Pholter, thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Emme, I don't think ANYONE has asked you to accept having a smoker in your life.... and I am most positive you have reasons to feel strongly about it... but embarrassed? NO. You are not the only one that has been horribly and tragically affected by smoking. I quit for 3 years, YOU may be embarrassed for lumping me into a "low life, non-courteous" category if YOU knew why... You don't have to accept it... but to say the things you have said and lumped ALL smokers into this category? What do you expect people to say to you? So basically you have been telling us that smokers are the lowest of the low, we don't pay attention, we are ignorant and have no courtesy... boy, you have lumped ALOT of people into that category... good to know that you don't have anyone in your life that falls into that category. Smoking is a horrible habit, granted... do you think people can just set them down? Easy as that? Believe me, it is much more difficult than that. NOBODY has said one word to you about "feeling the way you do" about smoking.... but you can have those feelings without crapping all over people. You can have those feelings (and all smokers understand that feeling..) without lumping people into a category such as you have. It shows a lack of compassion, respect, COURTESY, empathy, and knowledge.

I am sympathetic to anyone that has had any sort of loss in their life... and I am sympathetic to you.... but you have attacked GOOD PEOPLE on these boards. It's just mean... I'm sure (or I hope) you are not as mean as you have come across here...

Chirst....I make a spelling error.....*shaking head*...we all get typing a little fast.

We all have our opinions and we are entitled to them. I did nothing more that express mine here.

Emme, as another poster said....whatever has happend I'm sorry. Not "my" fault.

To whom it may concern,

I am a smoker. I have an advanced education. I fully realize the risk smoking places upon myself and those near me as I engage in this behavior. I will make no excuses for my addiction. It is a choice I make. I light my own cigarettes.

As a smoker, I am always conscious of designated smoking areas. I never smoke in a forbidden area. In my humble opinion, if I am in the open air, it is not forbidden, with the exception of local rules such as those in California.

I too, have seen a close family member wilt away from the effects of smoking. Yet, I am far more fearful when I am passed on the highway at 75mph by a person in a SUV with a cell phone in one hand and the controls of a 5000lb vehilce in the other. Go figure.

To those whom cannot tolerate smoke. Stay home. Only there are you truly safe. What better message to send retail America. Certianly, their bars, resturants, and cruiselines will collapse financially and come around to your way of thinking. It's only a matter of time. All it takes is one person to start it all. Get active! Stay Home!

Were gonna be the sorry ones, I am sure. :)

And this thread will be history in 5, 4, 3......and I'm sure I will be one to blame.

To those of you who smoke, as long as you respect my "space" I will respect yours.

Now this will surely get this yanked. 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

After all, the "other" boards consider us rude, ignorant, drunks anyway so why not!!

[quote name='gkeyes1008']What kind of breed of people are we??? Is there a name for the breed of people that smoke???? I would love to know the answer to this so I can tell everyone I am not considered an American I am considered a separate breed of my own...One thing that really upsets me are non smokers that bundle smokers in a 2nd class citizen group...

[/QUOTE]
I know....we still haven't gotten an answer *shakes head*:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I paid just as much to be on the ship as a nonsmoker did. It is not like you were lied to before you went on the ship. All of the literature and propaganda posted from the cruiselines make no claims that smoking is prohibited on the ship. If you are that uncomfortable with smoking stick to the nonsmoking areas, or stay home and learn to read. It is acceptable to be angry and complain about people smoking in prohibited areas or littering but you didn't leave the planet and as adults you should be able to accept that fact that rude people are everywhere. Just because someone smokes (it is still legal you know) does not mean they are rude, an in fact most smokers I have come into contact with tend to be more easygoing and polite when compared against their non-smoking contemporaries. As a smoker I try to ensure the comfort of others around me but at the same time if I want to smoke on the balcony that I paid for I will do so and make no apologies for it.

I have no problem with people who smoke. The only problem I have is with the smokers who do not obey the no-smoking areas. I know many people that smoke who are very courteous. And I thank all of you who are. I have asthma, and it is much easier to avoid smoke, when smokers do obey the no-smoking signs. But, there are quite a few individuals out there that either just don't care or just don't realize that it isn't just a smell issue, but a medical issue. And they light up anywhere they want.

I am sure that there are none of those uncaring types on this message board.;)

My husband and I both smoke. We ARE good people.

We both also have a problem with those smokers who don't play by the rules. If it says NO SMOKING in a particular area, that is what it means. When they tell/ask you on a cruise NOT to throw butts or lit smokes over the railing, they are doing it for a reason.

Sadly, we have never had a balcony cabin, maybe one day soon.

[quote name='btrtigerfan']
To those whom cannot tolerate smoke. Stay home. Only there are you truly safe. What better message to send retail America. Certianly, their bars, resturants, and cruiselines will collapse financially and come around to your way of thinking. It's only a matter of time. All it takes is one person to start it all. Get active! Stay Home!
Were gonna be the sorry ones, I am sure. :)[/QUOTE]

Just a thought - why can't the smokers be the ones who stay home?

I don't think that non smokers should stay home... but if you insist on whining and moaning about smokers smoking in areas that ALLOW smoking and complain about there being smoke everywhere (where it is allowed), then WHY even go when you KNOW smoking IS allowed on MANY places on the ship including the cabins? And NO, smokers should NOT have to stay home... nor should non smokers have to stay home... everyone pays the same amount and should be allowed to enjoy their vacation... people know that smoking is allowed and if it is such a bother, they should find a vacation where there is no smoke... It just so happens that the ship allows smoking, so why would smokers stay home?? :confused: Most smokers I know are very courteous... there are always that few that ruin it for everyone... but most I have seen stay in the smoking areas... then again, there are always those few non smokers, that will sit in an area that allows smoking and then belly-ache and whine about the smoke... ??? :confused: :confused: That is what I don't understand...

[quote name='Emme']Okay livtojump it's not "smokers are a different bread" it's smokers are a different breed.

I don't expect anyone to understand that, I don't need to explain what happened in my life that caused me to feel this way. If you knew the story behind my "attitude" toward smoking, I have a feeling you'd be a bit embarrassed to give me a hard time for feeling like I do.[/QUOTE]

First of all let me say that I am an x smoker (3 weeks now). I don't know your story as to what gave you this attitude, however I don't beleive the people on these boards are not giving you a hard time because of your feeling towards smoking. I believe you came on very harsh as to say that smokers are of a different breed. Because they smoke does not make them any less a person then one that does not smoke.

My DH is a smoker and is always courteous. Still people go out of their way to walk near and make rude comments. Most of these "lovely" people are women with enough cologne on to cover up the scent of an entire row of portapotties on a 118 degree day. They are being inconsiderate thinking that everyone enjoys the particular scent of Raid they've bathed in.

Well here's another "2nd class citizen" chming in.
The smoking- non-smoking issue has been beaten to death.
I smoke as well as my husband--we never smoke in the non smoking areas, esp not in an elevator.
Now the balcony is a dif story- I paid as much as you did for my cruise and I have the right to smoke out there--it's outside, for cripes sake!

Archived