Curious About Upgrades

gelton

This is not a Princess specific question as it applies to NCL and HAL as I'm sure others as well. Before I started cruising I wondered why there categories for each type of cabin, but I figured it must be a big difference in cabin size or one location just truely was that much better. Since I have been booking I now wonder if it is more just for entertainment factor of those booking cruises. I mean each persona has their own taste so really the difference between being on a higher floor or toward the front or back is really more of a personal preference.

I'll be the first to admit that it feels good to see I have been "upgraded" 5 categories and in most cases this does put me in a better part of the ship. But was it really 5 categories better. I know my first cruise on the Zuiderdam we had booked a GTY balcony and about 2 weeks later our T/A told us we had been upgraded 3 categories. I thought we had one the lottery. Ended up it was still the exact same room and although it was nice, it was no different. I guess my cruise to Alaska was the only "true" upgrade. Only could afford inside cabin and received a 6 category upgrade the day we boarded to and outside room with a view.

But my question or point is: Have the cruiseline abused this category differences within same cabin types to intice passengers with "upgrades"? Or has it always been this way and always will remain that way?:eek:

The different categories with in the same type of cabin are a reflection of demand. Most people want cabins in the middle of the ship and they usually like them up high. Thus the cruise lines price those rooms a little higher, and have several levels between them as well. But if your personal taste is different than average, say you like forward cabins, you can pay less for a cabin that you like better.

Most "upgrades" occur within the same class of room, and the upgrade cabin is identical to the previous cabin, but in a different, more "premium" location. But, depending on your preferences, that "premium" location may be less desireable to you.

I think the myriad of room categories that the cruise lines have come up with is a good thing - more desireable locations should cost a little more.

But cruise line advertising makes a lot of people think they are getting a better room with an upgrade, and that usually is not true.

The abuse by the cruise lines goes all the way back to the first ocean crossing passenger ships. At one time, the higher up you were, the better both the cabin and living conditions were. 3rd class and steerage were the worst and lowest down. 1st class the highest up with the largest cabins. No mixing of classes was allowed. Each had its own area, eating facilities, and even stairways. A major consideration was comfort as there was no A/C. So 1st class was above with total access to the breezes, nite and day.

This continues to this day with the higher deck cabins selling for more than the lower deck cabins even tho they are identical in size and privileges as todays ships are almost all class free. [ex Cunard]

The lines get more for the higher up cabins because they can, no other reason.

My next cruise I booked a BAL GTY. Received the top deck balcony cabin. An upgrade? Some would think so, but I booked a balcony and got a balcony. If I cared what deck it was on I would have booked a specific cabin. In my mind, an upgrade would have to be to a mini suite or better. But I did not expect to get that or even hope to get upgraded, just wanted to get a balcony and did, so I'm OK with that.

Those that book an inside gty and hope for a balcony or a suite and get disappointed when they get an inside, are just being silly.

Today a case [a weak one] could be made for charging more for the lowest midship cabins as they have the least movement. But lets not give the cruise lines any ideas.:rolleyes:

Dan

My next cruise I booked a BAL GTY. Received the top deck balcony cabin. An upgrade? Some would think so, but I booked a balcony and got a balcony. If I cared what deck it was on I would have booked a specific cabin. In my mind, an upgrade would have to be to a mini suite or better. But I did not expect to get that or even hope to get upgraded, just wanted to get a balcony and did, so I'm OK with that.

Those that book an inside gty and hope for a balcony or a suite and get disappointed when they get an inside, are just being silly.

Dan

Oh I totally agree. When I book a particular "type" cabin I have no visions of a full suite (well, on the first cruise I did think exactly how many categories of balcony can there be, I must be in a suite, but that was just wishful thinking). And I agree that each cabin type could be divided by desirability. But many ships have about 6 categories for most cabin types and that seems like a bit much. But maybe that many categories is more related to the size of the ship. A 1,500 passenger ship may average less than 3 categories per cabin type where is the 3,000 mega vessels have 6 or 7. Haven't done my research on that one.

Archived