Will I be uncomfortable?

CarolinaCruiseGirl

It took a lot of nerve for me to commit to this vacation. I am 35 and divorced; I never had to plan a vacation myself. I found this board while researching and now I am fearing that I will be the only woman not able to wear a bikini :( I dont feel I look terrible but I feel that I have really let myself go. December is around the corner and I plan on dieting but will I feel uncomfortable around the pool? I have no idea what to expect.

Get that outta your head right now. :D

There are all sorts of people, all shapes sizes on these cruises.

Good luck on your goal, and grab a pretty sarong if you dont like where you are at by the time of your cruise.

Dont worry and

Have a blast! :)

Most people are going to either stare at the model in the bikini or the morbidly obsese man in the g-string, chances are you are average like everyone else on the cruise so nobody is probably going to look at you anyway :) Menina

It took a lot of nerve for me to commit to this vacation. I am 35 and divorced; I never had to plan a vacation myself. I found this board while researching and now I am fearing that I will be the only woman not able to wear a bikini :( I dont feel I look terrible but I feel that I have really let myself go. December is around the corner and I plan on dieting but will I feel uncomfortable around the pool? I have no idea what to expect.

Oh please! I wore a 2 piece on our cruise. I don't wear "bikinis" per se because I have an ostomy but I wore one with a full coverage bottom and a halter top. I weighed 237 at the time. The ONLY reason I felt the need to cover up was to avoid sunburn.

Tami

Don't believe the ads you see on TV!!! You see more "normal" people of all ages sizes and shapes than a bunch of models. I haven't had a two piece since I was in my 30's--and at that time I was very fit. Just wear what makes you comfortable, as if you were going to a beach or lake at home. A cruise is just a vacation--the greatest vacation style in the world to me--but still a change to get away, relax, be pampered and have fun.

First time I cruised I was over 200 lbs. Now I am closer to 160. I wear a one piece & while walking around to & from my deck chair, I wear a sarong wrap skirt & a lightweight matching shirt (open). My legs are my heaviest feature & they are white white white :eek: , so that's why I prefer to cover them. I find it more "graceful" :p to remove a wrap tied at my waist, than a pair of shorts when I'm ready to sun in my deck chair.

One thing I recommend is that WHATEVER size you are, wear clothes (& bathing suits) that fit you properly. Nothing is more unflattering than a person in something that's 2 sizes too small, or even too large (they think it's "hiding their fat", but it just really makes the person look bigger & isn't flattering). Even a slim woman in a bathing suit that's too tight, just looks "cheap". :rolleyes: I saw some vacation pix of me in a bathing suit once & realized that even tho it was the "right size", the bathing suit had seen better days & some of the stretch had gone out of it, so it wasn't supporting my chest like it should have. :o That bathing suit went bye-bye very FAST!

Before you cruise, do what I do - try on the clothes you plan to wear & have a trusted friend with you. Weed out stuff that just doesn't fit right & needs replacing. You'll feel more comfortable & look your best in clothes that fit. And your size won't matter at all!

Another way to feel more comfortable with your fellow cruisers - if you haven't already - look up your cruise on the Roll Call boards & meet people now who will be sailing with you December. It's not too soon for there to be a Roll Call for December. I'm sailing in March 2007, and our Roll Call has been active since Feb 2006!

Good luck!

Sha

Don't believe the ads you see on TV!!! You see more "normal" people of all ages sizes and shapes than a bunch of models. I haven't had a two piece since I was in my 30's--and at that time I was very fit. Just wear what makes you comfortable, as if you were going to a beach or lake at home. A cruise is just a vacation--the greatest vacation style in the world to me--but still a change to get away, relax, be pampered and have fun.

Sad thing is that I'm in my 30's but I do appreciate your comments. I was hoping that I would not feel like I am in the middle of a fashion show. I would like to meet someone but this may not be the trip. I do however want to have a nice time.

Sad thing is that I'm in my 30's but I do appreciate your comments. I was hoping that I would not feel like I am in the middle of a fashion show. I would like to meet someone but this may not be the trip. I do however want to have a nice time.

What's so sad about 30? I wasn't "skinny" when I was 30, either, & haven't worn a 2pc since HIGH SCHOOL! :eek: I met my BF when I was 32 & 16 yrs later, here we still are together (no plans as yet to marry, but that's mutual)! I was in a time in my life that I was focusing on myself & my needs & not looking for a guy to "complete me", then wham! We found each other! :D He's been with me thru all sorts of fat & skinny & still loves me!

You can find some of "those people" :rolleyes: EVERYWHERE - that always have to dress like they have all the money in the world (and maybe they do!) and are participating in fashion show, but most people aren't like that. Regular people like you & me book cruises every day. And I trust all these women that have posted replies to you here - I run into them all over the place in these Lose Before You Cruise posts, so they've "been there, done that" & wouldn't steer anyone wrong.

Like I said before, wear clothes that fit properly & you'll look (& feel) wonderful! If you focus on meeting all sorts of new people & making new friends, you'll have a wonderful time. How can you not? You'll be on a CRUISE!!! Woohoo!

Sha

Carolina--

I'm so soory that I wasn't clear. I stopped wearing two-pieces in my thirties, I was fit, but I just wasn't comfortable anymore in a two piece. Even as a teen I wasn't comfortable in a bikini.

Sha is right, find clothes that you feel good in and fit you well. On my first cruise I was chunky and I remember my friend (it was a girl getaway) looking at me and saying how beautiful I was. This made me feel great because she had one of those model bodies. Just the tone of her voice let me know that even though I was a bit ample, I still had that glow about me.

You will be fine, the sea and the sun does something to just make us look great--maybe its just being happy!!!

Linda

Girl, you are so cute! I am 5'1'' and about 300lbs. I still go to the pool in my swimsuit no matter what. Mind you, I find something that covers me well and is as flattering as possible, but I am still comfortable.

Don't let any of this worry you, just go and have fun. Plus, if you find a guy on this cruise, he will like you for the person you are, not that you are or are not wearing a bikini!!! :)

The great majority of cruisers are NOT the model-in-a-bikini type. No way! If you walk down the street or the mall in any average town and see the normal people walking around, that's what you'll see on a cruise. I'd say the average person on a cruise would be considered overweight by most standards.

You'll see a few slim, fit women and girls in bikinis, quite a few not-so-fit or slim women in bikinis, two-pieces and tankinis and a lot of women in one-pieces. Every body type will be represented, with most being bigger.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. You will be fine and not stand out at all.

Hey I'm XXXLarge myself, but then I realized what the heck, this is my vacation and I'm probably not going to see any of these people again. And the ones I would want to will like me for me not my size.

Just go and have fun, don't worry about what you look like. Heck I wish I could go with you just to make you feel better.. See you have to have fun or I'll be sad... you don't want me to be sad do you ?:(

David

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, some of the most overweight people I have ever seen have been on cruises.

Second of all, you will never see any of those people again, so let your hair down!

Third, it's strange, but after the second day of being at sea with the same people it almost starts to feel like home. You're all in it together. You see the same people with bed head and VPLs and fat bulging out here and there ten times a day. Then you see them on formal night and they look fantastic. Same goes for you!

Fourth, there is a .000001% chance that you will find a single man within 20 years of your age on any cruise. The singles events are almost entirely populated by women. So go and have FUN. Enjoy yourself doing what you want to do- and besides, how are you going to bring a nice tan home if you are avoiding the pool?

Well, I am in my 30's, divorced and going on a cruise in December, too! I am going with 2 other couples.

I'll be the 5th wheel (2 couples and me:( )

But I plan to have a good time. (I don't expect to meet any men, like the other poster said, I am sure there will not be much of a selection of single guys). BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TRIP! :) :) :)

I am not skinny by any means. But I'm skinnier than I used to be, and that is a good thing. I don't expect to look like a model. I just want to be healthy.

Now, regarding bathing suits: I was at Clearwater Beach (florida) this past Sunday and I saw all different body types wearing all kinds of bathing suits. Seriously! Big women in bikinis, little women in bikinis. Big guys in speedos....very fit young guys in giant board shorts. Huge variety, and that's probably what you'll see on the cruise. I've done 4 RCCL cruises and I remember it was the same way, big variety of body types, probably more heavy than skinny.

So, don't worry and have fun!:D

I was on Freedom of the Seas last week -- talk about seeing a lot of people in swimming suits at one time! No one cares how much you weigh. People are there to have a great time.

I know MY weight was the subject of some discussion (I caught people talking twice), but it was among people who know about my weight loss or were looking at me and how my avatar makes me look much heavier than I am.

Please just try to relax and be yourself -- that's what people will notice. I've sailed when I was quite heavy and never cared what others thought about how I looked in a suit. It's probably easier said than done, but just go and have fun.

Hey! I just wanted to say that I sympathize with CarolinaCruiseGirl, as I am also feeling kinda uncomfortable with going on the cruise, since I am definately not of the skinny persuasion. But your emails and comments to her have helped me a somewhat--I'm still kind of uncomfy, but I will remember your advice.

One Odd Sock

January 2007 "Destiny" Carnival Cruise

Phew! Walking around Manhattan there are the slimmest girls typically walking round with coffees and cigarettes hanging out of their mouths (YUCK!) and I always feel like an elephant. I've been nervous about our up and coming cruise - I come from a country wear ALL the women wear boardshorts swimming with bikini tops or tankini tops (think Blue Crush) because of the active surf culture. So going on our up coming cruise I am taking the bold step of revealing the thunder thighs for the first time since I was about 15.

I have ordered my Issac Mizrahi halter top and swim skirt(so cute) yesterday. Ooooohhhh so nervous. Thanks for the encouragement team (even though I wasn't the original poster):D

You'll be absolutely fine. I always wear a bikini and I've had five kids. I'm 5'9" and 170 pounds. Just FYI- not at all perfect! There are some seriously obese people on cruise ships and they tan just like anyone else. Basically all you do for a week is stare at other people- every body shape there is. Makes you realize how absurd it is that we put ourselves down- we're all human and there is only so much we can do to fight genetics- and why should we? Everyone has a right to wear a bathing suit.

• 3 weeks later...

hey carolinacruisegirl

i feel your angst...but who cares what others think? are you going on a great cruise? yes! are you going to have great pics to show at work when you get back? yes! are you deserving of a fantastic time? yes! will you be hanging by the pool soaking up the sun? yes!

i have had the same conversations about how i look in my head too. but, i go and do my thing, i hang by the pool and if someone doesnt like it, they can lump it. :D

happy cruising!!! you will be fine, you will look great and have fantastic memories!

Archived