Aways Seems Hal Crusiers Against Kids.

TIMELMAN

I Would Like To Ask A Questions . Why Does It Seem People On Here Seem To Think If I Have Kids I Sould Cruise Somewherelse. Why Sould I Give Up The Best Of The Best And Always Seem To Come Down To Some Cruise Dont Want My Kids . I Pay For My Cruise. This Is Just A Thought Not At Aimed At Anyone.

I have never cruised HAL, but have a cruise booked in February.

I am not big on kids, and one of the reasons I am interested in sailing

HAL is because they seem to be more of an "adult" line.

If you want hundreds of kids, sail on Carnival, Disney or RCCL.

I realize that EVERY line (even Regent and the other ultra luxury lines)

will have some kids on most sailings, and I have no problem with kids

being on a cruise....providing that they are well behaved.

Some children act like animals....but then, so do some adults.

It is every cruiser's right to have an enjoyable vacation, and for some, that

means no kids. In my opinion, I feel that every cruise line should

have one ship that is Adults Only.

Timelman, I had this same frustration with the board yesterday morning. There is a poster or two that always chime in on children and make those of us with children feel somewhat miserable. I think it is a couple of posts recently. I sometimes feel that we are defeated from the start. We are prejudged, almost labeled.

Brian is correct (isn't he always). Almost everyone loves children, they smile and remember how much fun it was at that age. Just don't let one or two posters get to you. The humor, knowledge and comraderie on this board is so great, so I just ignore the couple of folks that drive me crazy.

Tileman,

Why Does It Seem People On Here Seem To Think If I Have Kids I Sould Cruise Somewherelse

I haven't seen where anyone told you this.

Yes, there is another thread that children and cruising are mentioned. I said I felt Carnival and RCL does it better. There programs are much better than Hal's . That is my opinion.

There are a lot of people, myself included, that prefer to cruise with as few kids as possible. I do not cruise when school is out or over holidays. I do 10 + cruises.

I don't hate kids. I have a daughter and a wonderful grandaughter.

As far as vacations go with kids, I been there, done that. I spent my earlier years dedicating my vacation time to my daughter, not me. Disney, Bush Gardens, Wildwood and more roller coasters than I want to remember.;)

CCM,

Timelman, I had this same frustration with the board yesterday morning. There is a poster or two that always chime in on children and make those of us with children feel somewhat miserable. I think it is a couple of posts recently. I sometimes feel that we are defeated from the start. We are prejudged, almost labeled.

Sorry you feel that way. I do not believe this is true. You are not labeled or prejudged. I did not see anyone trying to make someone with children feel miserable.

Where did that come from?

Most of us here love children...

...what we dislike are adults who have children and then refuse to be parents.

I'd have to agree!! I do not think it is the fact that you have a child (or two) but to me if you sail HAL you do need to take a look inward and truely assess not only what type of parent you are, but what type of child you have.... If your kids run wild down the halls, please don't cruise with HAL, there are many other lines that don't look twice at this behavior..Both you, your children and other passengers will have a better time...

I do not think that most people would not want you to take your child as long as he/she is well behaved... HAL hopefully will be the perfect line for my family. I have one child who is very well behaved. He enjoys nice dinners (not all kids do) and can entertain himself. When we go places (even when my child was 2) he does not make a loud noise, if he did he was/is corrected or even removed..Think about the last nice dinner you took your children on...how do your kids do?? If you are in a nice resturant and people stare and your children demand attention than HAL may not be the line for you.

These are some things to consider... Everyone is on vacation and we ALL want to have a nice time!!:) SO if your child/children are well behaved don't let some others spoil your time!!

I don't know where this came from either. I sailed with my entire family, as many of you all know. I never felt that HAL or these boards ever discouraged me from sailing HAL with children. HAL just seems to have fewer children onboard and I agree with others here that other lines may have a better program for children, but HAL works for me and my family.

We found Club HAL to be wonderful for the kids. Club HAL kept the kids occupied, but we still had time to spend with them as well. We all, including the kids, had a wonderful cruise this past February on the Volendam.

I am sure you and your family will enjoy whichever HAL cruise you choose.

I Would Like To Ask A Questions . Why Does It Seem People On Here Seem To Think If I Have Kids I Sould Cruise Somewherelse. .....

Just wondering where this is posted as I totally can't find any posts on here that say anything of the kind. All I see is that some posters advise that other lines have more activities that children enjoy doing other than the organized programs (scavenger hunts, video games and stuff like that) in Club HAL. Like rock-climbing walls, skating rinks, pool games, etc. Personally I think my grandchildren from 6-15 would enjoy RCL more than HAL, but I don't see anyone telling families NOT to come on HAL. Maybe I missed some posts? The ones I read seem to be more helpful than negative as to cruising with children. :confused:

Where did that come from?

Most of us here love children...

...what we dislike are adults who have children and then refuse to be parents.

I also have to agree with Brian here. Kids are a only a reflection of their parents. I think that HAL may have less activities for children, particularly smaller ones so other lines may have more for them to do. But that in no way should mean that someone should rule out HAL. Nobody should make you feel less welcome because you have kids. Heck i've seen some situations while travelling where I'd rather be around the kids than with their parents! :)

When I asked last year about taking my grandchildren, 7 and 9, on a HAL cruise to Alaska, the posters were mostly supportive. They gave me good suggestions. Only one said outright, "don't bring kids on HAL".

I think the posters on this board reflect the opinions on this subject that you might find in a general population of travellers. "Bring your kids. Prepare to be responsible for keeping them entertained. Prepare to keep them under reasonable control so that they don't disrupt other pax' enjoyment of their vacations. If you can't or aren't willing to do that, please go elsewhere."

I agree with the others that a few well behaved children on board is not a complete disaster. However, now that we are retired and no longer have children at home we prefer to cruise without hearing the screams and loudness that children seem to generate. I admit I am one who feels children will be happier on a cruise line that caters to kids with lots of activities for them. I don't think HAL fills this niche.

But I don't hate kids .

I love children. Have three of my own. I am a school nurse. I am a SS Director and basically my world and work evolve around children.

I do holiday cruising so I am around alot of families, which I truly enjoy watching....but I want parents to watch their children, dress them appropriately, and to be in Charge of their own.

That said, I think HAL parents are very mindful of others and a majority of them have raised and are continuing to raise their children with Respect and Honor for other in mind.

Everynow and then you might have a couple on Vacation, so the ship is their children's playground...which leads to all kinds of unsafe possibilities.

Linda

Congratulations to Brian....that has to be one of the most concise, to the point posts I've ever seen and right on the mark. I'm also not too sure where or what caused the observation by the OP. However, it is true that, recent upgrades to HAL ships notwithstanding, HAL is still not way up there in the children's programs. They've done a good job and they're trying but that's just hasn't been HAL mainstream focus historically. Quite honestly I don't think HAL will ever market themselves as totally a "family experience" like Disney or RCCL but they've done at least a few things so as to not make them totally out of the market. I would hope that our honest observations that HAL isn't quite there yet aren't construed as being anti-child.

To be really kid oriented HAL would have to change a lot of on-deck things with more activities for the family and not just have Club HAL where the kids are separated. Such as the pool horse races which go on for several days that we saw on RCCL, lots of pool games led by the CD staff in the afternoon, and all that kind of stuff. I think is why there is some objection to too many kids on HAL ships. It would change the whole character of a HAL cruise. :eek:

Brian is correct (isn't he always). Almost everyone loves children, they smile and remember how much fun it was at that age. Just don't let one or two posters get to you. The humor, knowledge and comraderie on this board is so great, so I just ignore the couple of folks that drive me crazy.

Brian is one of the most gracious on this board and often says the most with the fewest words. He's my hero.

Mass marketed cruise lines are all reasonably family-friendly. This board has its share of posterswho prefer to not cruise with children. Rita is one of them. Rita makes sure she cruises during the school year so that she avoids them. She does not impose her preference upon anyone else. I respect this.

My daughter, now 18, grew up on cruise ships. When she was younger, she tended to enjoy the HAL Program more so than Carnival or RCCL where she was often overwhelmed by the number of kids. She also tended to enjoy crafts and games more so that running amuck with the Pirate of the Caribben. It just depends upon the kid and I often think those with siblings have a easier go of it becasue they walk in knowing someone.

As Bespf said, the behavior of children aboard any cruise is far more a reflection of their parents, than anything else.

I enjoy having kids on board if they have been taught how to behave. I have a six year old and a ten year old and I would not hesitate to take them on a HAL cruise. But that is because they have been taught to respect elders, use their table manners, use their "indoor" voices, and to be considerate of those around them. And I watch them like a hawk.

I believe that there is no such thing as a "bad" kid - just poor parenting. I would enthusiastically welcome all good parents and their kids on any cruise that I am on. But, based on the research that I've done thus far, I think that they would probably be a little happier on a cruise line that catered more to kids. And Mom and Dad would probably be happier with a cruise line that kept their little ones busy so that they could enjoy some alone time too.

I am so sorry you have been made to feel this way. Well behaved children should be welcome any where. On our first HAL cruise children were in such a minority that most of the passengers were delighted with them and went out of their way to speak to them and have them join them at their tables. With HAL passengers being an older crowd I wouldn't think there would be many things interesting to small children but they definitely should be welcomed in any event.

Joan

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Always good to hear what others think. Like I said just the feeling from reading one or two peoples posts. I agree completely about children being a reflection of parents and what they are taught over the years. Hopefully, we have done everything right!

hammybee - I also like Brian's posts. Although snorkelbear is gaining fast with his humor.

bankerbabe - we have that voice and I call it "restaurant voice".

One of the reasons I choose HAL is because there are so few children onboard (and few partyers/college kids). It is not that I don't like children, but I prefer not to be around them when I am trying to relax-I prefer a peaceful, quiet, classy environment. I don't mind well behaved children, it is just that I have yet to encounter more than a couple in my experiences.

All the other cruise lines are family friendly and advertise for families, on a recent travel show I viewed, HAL was said to be directed towards "newlyweds or the nearly deads"-not my quote or view, but I like having a line available that is different and not so directed towards families.

I Would Like To Say I Never Said Anyone Hated Kids But I Do Get The Feeling From Most On Here That They Would Be Happier If We Did Not Bring Them. I Dont Like Carvial Or Rci Because I Want My Childeren To See Resposible Adults Not Runing Wild Partying Type. I Also Dont Want To Feel Like I Am Intruding . My Children Our Usually Well Behaved Or They Will Get The Aporiate Punshiment. I Was Not Pointing This At Anyone In Particule. Just Something I Tend To Notice. By They Way Have Cruised Disney Like It . But I Doesnt Alwys Go Were I Want To Go.

Thank everybody for the input. I agree with Brian. The objection to children is if the are not controlled. I am really tired of having them running thru the lido with no parent in evidence and the children being very resentful if corrected. Please bring your lovely children, we enjoy them.

Archived