Aways Seems Hal Crusiers Against Kids.

TIMELMAN

Your husband sounds like a great guy You and my wife are lucky women *LOL* :)

But its true whats good for one is not for another, and with all the choices available, why suffer?

HMmmmmmmmmmm maybe if you give the kids enough wine, they would pass out and you and DH can have some peace and quiet .

*LOL* Kidding .....just kidding :) *LOL*

Yes, I am lucky! And your wife is also lucky. :)

Good idea about the wine and the kids. lol But my middle kid likes expensive wine! No Ripple for him (okay, that probably dates me). But a better idea than wine is duct tape...lol Just kidding. My "kids" really aren't kids anymore. They're all over 21 and really like to make themselves scarce these days...unless we're paying for a vacation.

Yes, I am lucky! And your wife is also lucky. :)

Good idea about the wine and the kids. lol But my middle kid likes expensive wine! No Ripple for him (okay, that probably dates me). But a better idea than wine is duct tape...lol Just kidding. My "kids" really aren't kids anymore. They're all over 21 and really like to make themselves scarce these days...unless we're paying for a vacation.

I haven't heard about Ripple since Sanford and Son was on *LOL* (There don't feel bad, I dated myself too *LOL*)

Mine are a little younger , but they still want to hang out with their friends . Didn't we all at that age?

And you are right, unless we are footing the bill,or the need a ride they don't want to know us :) Again just like we were *LOL*

In reading some of these posts I have to wonder if maybe some of you should have your parents along to make sure you act your age. Maybe you should write to HAL and ask if they can made a "special" section for all those who HAVE to curise with kids on board for to go to get away from the little monsters. I've been on 5 HAL cruises and never once have I seen a kid misbehave. We went on a Celebrity cruise last year and when I found out there were over 200 kids on board I though OH NO. I only saw well behaved children swimming and having fun with their parents. Only one family in the dinning room with several children who weren't well behaved. We told the waiter we wouldn't be back for dinner because the children were running all over. We never saw the children again in the dinning room. My mom and I have been treated RUDE by the grown ups. Seems on the HAL ships if a person thinks they are older than you they have more rights than you do. I get so mad I want to say something but I've been brought up to respect my elders. (I'm 58) I've been pushed out of the buffett line, pushed aside so a older person can get in the elevator that I've been waiting for. I have always stepped aside to let someone in before me. Parent's with behaved children have as much right as anyone else to go on a HAL ship

Asue

a very good point

I remember one time having lunch on Lido (this was not on a HAL ship but still) The side we were on was packed , not a table to be had. Right next to us was a group of about six teens. They were sitting at the table eating their food , ice cream, whatever they had . They were well behaved , enjoying their food and the day at sea like everyone else, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Along comes these two couples in their mid to late 50s maybe 60s . They have their trays and they are looking for a table. They are standing in the aisle bewteen us and this table of teens , and one of the wives turns to her husband , gestures to the table of teens and says "They (I am assumeing she was referring to the wait staff in the Lido) should make those kids get up so people can sit".

I was just dumbstruck by this. How many tables full of people were in that section? and they should tell that table of kids to move? Why? They weren't "loitering" they were eating their lunch like everyone else there. Their parents paid for them to have lunch there. They weren't causing anyone any trouble.

If one adult was sitting with this group of teens she wouldn't have said that ? Would she?

They just ended up walking away, but I just thought what a nerve.

ASUE: I don't think anyone disputes the right of children to be there, the question is weather or not HAL is an appropriate cruising venue when traveling with children.

I guess my next question then would be why isn't HAL the appropriate crusing venue for children??? We all know it cost more to go on a HAL cruise than a Carnival cruise. But what parent wants to have to shield their children on a cruise from watching adults getting so drunk they can't walk or having to leave the pool area cause the language is so foul. At least with HAL you can go and not worry about all of that happening. I would hate to think that if I took my 5 well behaved grandchildren on a HAL cruise that people would be looking at me and saying behind my back "why did she bring those kids"

And just like babyher said, it was the adults who were rude. Not the teenagers.

If you ask a thousand people whether their driving is better or worse than average, over 80% will say they are better than average. I think the same would apply if you asked a thousand parents whether their kids' behavior was better or worse than average. Therein lies the problem.

Brian said it best.

I am also from the school that feels there are better places for families than HAL. Everyone would be happier, most of all the kids.

I guess my next question then would be why isn't HAL the appropriate crusing venue for children??? We all know it cost more to go on a HAL cruise than a Carnival cruise. But what parent wants to have to shield their children on a cruise from watching adults getting so drunk they can't walk or having to leave the pool area cause the language is so foul. At least with HAL you can go and not worry about all of that happening. I would hate to think that if I took my 5 well behaved grandchildren on a HAL cruise that people would be looking at me and saying behind my back "why did she bring those kids"

Did someone say that HAL was inapproriate for children?

HAL is perfectly appropriate for well-behaved children who don't need shopping malls, rock-climbing walls, rollerblading, costumed cartoon characters or indoor ice-skating to have a good time.

...and no cruiseline (ar any other public venue for that matter) is appropriate for unsupervised children or careless/thoughtless parents.

And just like babyher said, it was the adults who were rude. Not the teenagers.

No one said HAL was inapproriate for children. I believe some lines are more geared toward children. That's all. It's about choices. Some kids will be bored to death on HAL, some not. It depends on your family.

No one is going to say anything behind your back. I'd prefer well-behaved children over drunk adults anytime, but from what I have read, I'm not going to have to deal with that or unruly children, because the children who are on HAL for the most are well-behaved. But face it, there are rude teenagers, rude adults, and out-of-control kids just about everywhere you go (these days).

I have kids. I love my kids. We travel with them (sometimes). I don't know why people seem to be offended that we'd like to be somewhere that's not competely overrun with children (good or badly behaved). Take your kids where you want. That's your choice.

Some people wouldn't dream of taking their kids to a museum (too stuffy, you know), while others think the only place they'd have a good time is the ball-pit at a fast-food joint. Make a choice that fits you and your family, and IMO, I wouldn't worry what people think. I sure don't care what people think about my choices.

After more than a year on this board,

It took you a year?? I figured it out the first week I started nosing around this board (not just HAL--any of them) But it happens on other boards too-- I moderate a Vegas board and "kids" is just as hot a button over there....:rolleyes:

We chose HAL cause of the average age and least likely to have young kids. We don't dislike kids, just know from experience that many parents do not discipline their kids or even watch them. They run wild and break rules without anyone saying boo. It is not the kids fault- they are kids. It is the parents responsiblilty to be parents. When I see well behaved children, I am sure to tell the parents how great they are - kids and parents! It is refreshing whenever I see it. I especially hate kids running in the dining room. It gives me indigestion. :(

Neither my buddy nor I are all that keen on traveling w/ kids, since as many have admitted here, they can be a bit out of control and intrusive.

Someone on our roll call determined that there were going to be 21 kids on our upcoming Westerdam trip in October. So we decided that we'll sort out the 3 most disruptive of the little darlins every day and simply throw them overboard. We figure if we pitch them prior to noon it will be supper time before mom and dad clueless even know they are gone. With 3 a day and a 7 day trip , by disembarkation morning all should be peace and bliss.

Kids? A problem? Not on OUR ship.

I especially hate kids running in the dining room. It gives me indigestion. :(

When I used to work in a restaurant I can't tell you how many parents would let their children run free while someone was walking around with a hot pot of coffee.

We are sailing on the Veendam in November. This will be our first cruise on HAL. We have two ”S" suites, one for my Mother and Mother-in-law, and one for me, my wife, and our 2 1/2 year old. We chose HAL because we want to enjoy an atmosphere of civility and good taste. We are not party people and find nothing more obnoxious than loud drunks. We are responsible parents and are respectful and courteous to others. Our son isn't old enough to need much "kid stuff" beyond a toy truck and a teddy bear. He's been on two Disney cruises and has done really well on both. He actually took his first unassisted steps at sea on "Mickey's Ship"! Will we let him run wild? Of course not! Will we let him put his hands in food? No way! Is it possible that he might whine or cry at some point? That is extremely likely, but we will handle those situations in the best way that we can, being as courteous and respectful to others as possible. That being said, we won't spend too much time worrying about what anybody else thinks about our child or the fact that we chose HAL.

Hoyaheel:(Completely off-topic here, my apologies. Is a "hoyaheel" someone who is a Georgetown/North Carolina fan?)

OT, yes, sort of! My undergrad alma mater is Georgetown - hence the "Hoya", and I am currently a Tarheel (living in North Carolina) I'm not much of a sports fan (and I work with Duke people and UNC people and no one can understand why I don't get worked up about basketball like they do:p )

I always feel terrible for parents whose kids are crying during travel--especially airplane trips--we try to make faces at the kids so they'll smile, but sometimes that approach backfires! We have friends whose 11-year old daughter is still somewhat frightened of my husband because he made a "scary" face at her when she was 3....Once I was going through security at an airport and a mother was flying alone--having a hard time collapsing her stroller to go through the xray and hold her baby at the same time--I offered to help - assuming I would collapse the stroller for her. Nope--she just handed over the baby:p Good thing it was an easy-going baby and didn't seem to mind....

I remember one time having lunch on Lido (this was not on a HAL ship but still) The side we were on was packed , not a table to be had. Right next to us was a group of about six teens. They were sitting at the table eating their food , ice cream, whatever they had . They were well behaved , enjoying their food and the day at sea like everyone else, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Along comes these two couples in their mid to late 50s maybe 60s . They have their trays and they are looking for a table. They are standing in the aisle bewteen us and this table of teens , and one of the wives turns to her husband , gestures to the table of teens and says "They (I am assumeing she was referring to the wait staff in the Lido) should make those kids get up so people can sit".

I was just dumbstruck by this. How many tables full of people were in that section? and they should tell that table of kids to move? Why? They weren't "loitering" they were eating their lunch like everyone else there. Their parents paid for them to have lunch there. They weren't causing anyone any trouble.

If one adult was sitting with this group of teens she wouldn't have said that ? Would she?

They just ended up walking away, but I just thought what a nerve.

While I've not seen that happen, I have been the target of rude behavior on the part of a fellow ("senior") passenger who thought I was a member of the ship's staff. When questioned about why she acted the way she did, she admitted that she had just assumed that since I was "young fellow" (I was in my mid-30s at the time) I MUST be a member of the Ship's Cruise Staff. :)

I've seen kids behave like monsters. But, invariably, it's been because their parents behavior like monsters. Once, while serving as chaplain, I caught a kid running the halls stealing breakfast order cards off the doors. I caught him and security took him into custody and called his parents ... and the war that resulted was unbelievable. Apparently, it didn't matter what his son was doing ... what was egregious was that we (1) dared to take his son into custody, and (2) bother him during the middle of the nigh.

<sigh>

ASUE: I don't think anyone disputes the right of children to be there, the question is weather or not HAL is an appropriate cruising venue when traveling with children.

I've said this in the past on this board, and gotten into trouble because of it ... but for the life of me, I couldn't imagine the average family with kids (say from about eight to teens) having a good time on HAL. There are so many better venues out there for families ... with lots more for the kids to see and do. Maybe the ships are bigger and maybe you lose some of the ammenities that adults enjoy ... but then, when you sail with the children, shouldn't you be considering their best interests too?

I just don't think HAL can compete with lines like Disney, RCCL and even Carnival for the kids market. Maybe HAL can undercut those lines in price on its Vista class ships ... but no way can they offer the children the vast array of age appropriate experiences that those other lines can. Frankly, I can't imagine myself having been happy on HAL when I was a child ... not when you've got ships out there with rock climbing walls, bungee trampolines, surfboard simulators, ice skating rinks ... I would imagine I would have been bored stiff on a HAL cruise with my parents or grandparents.

So, frankly, I think that's why in many cases you have disorderly kids on HAL. I think those kids are probably bored, and the parents are too busy doing their own thing to notice, or to even care.

Again, it all comes down to the parents ... not the kids. And, that's why I'd love to see a zero tolerance policy aboard cruise ships for disorderly and trouble-making kids. One warning the parents get. Your kids were caught running up and down the hallway at 2:00 a.m. Control them or ... else. Next time the kids are caught doing something unruly, parents and kids go off the ship at the next port. Betcha parents would become much more proactive in supervising their children and making sure they are having a good time. And those same parents would realize that if they wanted to take their active kids on a staid line like HAL ... with its limited children's facilities ... then they, as the parents, would have to be the ones to take a far more active role in keeping those kids entertained ... even at the expense of their own more adult-oriented activity preferences.

But, if they choose to let the kids run wild ... well, it could very well mean an interrupted vacation, with a very expensive airplane flight home ... for the entire family.

Personally, if I were a parent who loved HAL, I would sooner take the kids on a vacation every other year that was suitable for THEM ... whether that be a cruise or a land vacation such as Disney. Then on the intervening years I'd take my "adults only" cruise on HAL, and leave them at home.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've seen kids behave like monsters. But, invariably, it's been because their parents behavior like monsters. Once, while serving as chaplain, I caught a kid running the halls stealing breakfast order cards off the doors. I caught him and security took him into custody and called his parents ... and the war that resulted was unbelievable. Apparently, it didn't matter what his son was doing ... what was egregious was that we (1) dared to take his son into custody, and (2) bother him during the middle of the nigh.

<sigh>

Just a thought......

I wonder if it might make a difference if all cruise lines that want to appeal to families with children, required parents to sign a contract that spells out their responsibilities and consequences for failure to supervise. This is one area that I think all cruise lines, regardless of their competitive nature, could agree upon and do on a uniform basis.

As a parent, I would not have a problem with this and might even appreciate knowing upfront some of the things an unsupervised child might do.

We require a drivers license for people to drive a car, and hunting license for people to hunt, a fishing license for people to fish, a law license for people to practice law, a medical license for people to practice medicine, and a marriage license for people to get married. But there's no training or certification or licensing procedure to prepare people to be good parents. Is it just me, or does this seem wacko?

The problem isn't the kids ... it's the parents who refuse to take responsibility and properly parent their kids. :(

Children are only a reflecting point from where they come.. the parents...

As in a company Roberts Rules of Order have to have a family rules of order ..otherwise chlildren will do as thay want with no direction...

A ship is fine if given a direction to go in and a piot to guide it..otherwise it just goes aground..

That being said, we won't spend too much time worrying about what anybody else thinks about our child or the fact that we chose HAL.

Your 2-1/2 year old should do fine on HAL. He really wouldn't be able to take advantage of many of the ammenities of some of the more "kid friendly" lines anyway. He's too young.

But once he gets older, he's gonna be screaming for Disney or RCCL and that's when you might have a problem with him. :)

Blue skies ... and enjoy your cruise ...

--rita

... but for the life of me, I couldn't imagine the average family with kids (say from about eight to teens) having a good time on HAL. There are so many better venues out there for families ... with lots more for the kids to see and do. Maybe the ships are bigger and maybe you lose some of the ammenities that adults enjoy ... but then, when you sail with the children, shouldn't you be considering their best interests too?

I just don't think HAL can compete with lines like Disney, RCCL and even Carnival for the kids market. Blue skies ...--rita

Rita, My daughter preferred HAL to the other mass marketed cruise lines that targeted families. She got more attention from the staff and the activities were better suited to her non-competitive personality. It sounds goofy, but one of her biggest thrills was when we would order a treat from room service for her and leave her in the cabin for a few hours to unwind on her own.

As for children running in the halls at 2:00 AM, it occasionally happens on all ships. You are more tolerent than I am. Children should not be out of their cabins at 2:00 AM, let alone running. It's sad that some parents need to be told that it's their responsibility but this is easier than dealing with the problems that their children can cause for themselves and others, if unsupervised.

Archived