Anyone else have issues getting their fish shipped home from Alaska?

dougp26364

On Sept. 5th my wife and I caught two nice Coho Salmon while we were in Icy Straight Point. We decided to keep them, have them processed packaged and shipped home. This was on Sept. 5th of this year.

To date, we have not received our fish. My wife attempted E-mails the outfit that was to process the fish last week and recieved no reply. Today, I attempted to call them and got a voice recording saying that "Due to the number of rude phone calls, they would no longer answer the phones." They went on to say that "your fish has been shipped. We do not want to keep your fish in our freezer. Please check your credit card statement and you fish should be received approx. two days after the billing for Fed Ex appears on your credit card." There was no option to talk to a living person. Talk about RUDE! They have my money but, thanks to others before me they now refuse to talk to me?

At any rate, I have checked my CC statement and the only billing on it is for the processing. There has been no charge for shipping the fish. Apparently, despite the rather terse statement that "We do NOT have your fish. It has been shipped to you." they do still have my fish.

I have since sent a second E-mail, which seems to be the only way I have to contact the processor but, no responce as of yet. This is more than just a little frustrating as my fish have apparently been pocessed 20 days ago, they apparently have not been shipped, no one will answer the phone to give me a tracking number and I've been billed almost $60 for processing my fish that I may never see.

At this point, if there is no responce I will be forced to challenge the charge to my CC for the processing. This was not a process and pick up at the plant deal and I have no intention of paying for the processing if they are not going to provide proof that the fish was shipped. Personally, I'd much prefer to have the fish.

Has anyone else had issues getting their fish sent home in a timely manner and what did you have to do to get them to respond to you. I understand no one likes to be yelled at on the phone but I don't like the fact I'm being ignored and that no one will even bother to pick up the phone to talk to me or repond to my E-mails.

Any advice?

Sorry, I don't have any advice since we, too, are still waiting for our fish. My husband and father both caught salmon on Sept. 7 at Ict Strait Point on a tour and were told that their catch would be shipped within 48 hours by 2 day shipping. Our American Express was charged 45 dollars on Sept 7, but no fish yet... we have tried calling, but there is no answer. I'm in the process of locating the fishing license and any receipt I can to see if I can find a different contact name. :confused:

With 2 threads addressing this problem it looks like this is centered in Icy Straight Point. I know some people don't like to "front" a company out - but others should be made aware. Did you deal with the fishing charter to get the fish processed or did you go with someone the fishing charter suggested? Have you checked to see if they are a member of the BBB. Even if they aren't, the BBB might be able to help you - at least file a complaint. If all 3 of you (I think that's how many have posted so far) contact the Alaska BBB maybe you will get some results - at least be able to warn others. Not that everyone checks the BBB.

As a matter of fact I think I'll go through my list and check. I'm using several vendors that have been highly recommended by folks here on CC - but you never know.

Anyone have problems getting fish from other ports of call? We will be fishing in Ketchikan.

The Vendor is BuyNPack Seafood.

The more I think about the fact that they refuse to answer the phone, the more upset I get about this. Their reason for not answering the phone is rude phone calls. Well, NOT answering your customers concerns because someone ELSE was rude to you is just as bad IMO. Not returning polite E-mails that are only looking for answers to why the shipment has not been recieved is just plain BAD customer service. Actually, it's NO customer service at all.

The tour was great. The boat captain was wonderful. BuyNPack should be ashamed of itself.

I'll give it a couple of more days and one more E-mail. After that, I'll consider that they are stiffing me and not making a good faith attempt to resolve the issue of my paid for shipment not arriving. I have agreed to pay the processing fee AND the shipping fee. Paying for processing alone wasn't part of the bargain. I will file a dispute as I have not intention of paying for processed fish I do not recieve. I'll also file complaints with any organization that I can.

As for recording their recording. I don't know that something like that would do any good. It's an easy thing to do if you have a tape recorder. Radio Shack has a inexpensive device that starts recording any phone conversation as soon as the line is picked up. If I felt it would do any good I'd record their message but, I don't think it's worth the effort.

All I want is what we had agreed on. That is for them to process and ship the fish we caught in a timely manner. Since that hasn't been done, I'd like an answer as to why I was billed for processing but not shipping? Fed Ex can't give me a tracking number if they don't have one and ISP won't pick up the phone to look and see if they actually have the tracking #. If they have it and would give it to me, then I'd have something to argue with Fed Ex about. Unfortunately, BuyNPack Seafood doesn't seem to care. I guess they figure they've got my money, why take a chance on another rude phone call.

BTW, I'm starting to think there may have been some merit to those phone calls. Provide the service you promise and there's not problem. Fed Ex has tracking #'s and I've never known them to lose that many packages.

If this the the correct listing - http://www.alaska.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=22035764&language=1 it doesn't look like they have any current complaints - but I have a feeling that is going to change.

When looking at this report keep in mind that although it states no reports in the last 36 months they have only been on file with the BBB since June of this year.

Have you tried the cell number on their website - http://www.buynpack.net/info.html. That might get you a response. I know I hate using my minutes. I bet they would too.

Also noticed they use Yahoo Store to generate their site - not sure if there is anything you can pursue in that direction.

I bet if you sent them a question (using a free addy that they don't recognize) asking them a questions about their merchandise you would get a response. Then after they respond email them back and ask why they can't give you information about your fish order :D .

Maybe they sold your fish online :eek: - ask them where they get their fish from and when they respond ask them if they would be kind enough to send you the fish you paid for.

Sorry - I'm really not taking this lightly - just trying to help.

Just thought I would pass along a little info from our experience with this company. we caught 60 pounds of Halibut on July 8 and we got our fish Aug 28. We had the same issue while trying to contact this company. It was my understanding and I'm not making excuses, But the only way to ship the fish is by air via Juneau. They only have small planes which carry a limited amount of weight, Now throw in the weather to where only 1 or 2 flight a week get there and you get major back ups.

I just wished we were informed this at time of booking and it would have eased our tension.

They are the only ticket in town to process so there is no choices, We were a little surprised at the shipping cost also, I know it was 60 lbs and I know we live in Fla but I don;t think we would have done it, The shipping was $175 plus $285 for processing and packing. it was over 7.50 a lb. I was lead to believe it was gonna be $4.75 a pound total. Oh well live and learn. Its still $3 a pound less than we pay here and it came very fresh and frozen, That part they did a nice job,

PS We fished with Teckk outfitters and I kept in contact with Edna and she did a great job of keeping me up to date on our fish, She had better luck contacting them than we did

I still do not have mine nor have I been charged for shipping. I keep watching and hoping to see the charge so I can anticipate receiving our fish.

The agrivating thing is, we were told onboard the fishing vessel that they would only hold our fish for a maximum of 10 days. I can only WISH that were true.

A charge appeared on my CC for Alaska Wings for an amount that looks reasonable for the amount of fish we're having shipped. Hopefully, we'll have our fish in the next couple of days.

What's frustrating is the captain of our fishing boat made it a point to say that the processor would only hold the fish a maximum of 10 days and then it would be shipped. He made it sound as if they did not have the room or did not like to keep the fish stored for an extended period of time. Now here it is one month to the day we caught the fish and what I believe to be the billing for shipping the fish shows up. If they'd have told me it could take up to a month to ship the fish it would have been no problem. The problem has been expecting the fish much sooner based on what we were told.

I wouldn't be too angry at the boat Capt. He probably based what he said on past experience and what they (the processor) told him. Hope you get the fish soon and just think how great it will taste with all the built up anticipation!

-Monte

A charge appeared on my CC for Alaska Wings for an amount that looks reasonable for the amount of fish we're having shipped. Hopefully, we'll have our fish in the next couple of days.

What's frustrating is the captain of our fishing boat made it a point to say that the processor would only hold the fish a maximum of 10 days and then it would be shipped. He made it sound as if they did not have the room or did not like to keep the fish stored for an extended period of time. Now here it is one month to the day we caught the fish and what I believe to be the billing for shipping the fish shows up. If they'd have told me it could take up to a month to ship the fish it would have been no problem. The problem has been expecting the fish much sooner based on what we were told.

No, not the captains fault. He was only telling us what he was told to tell us. The BuyNpack just needs to either do a better job or let people know that, due to varying weather conditions it could take up to 4 to 6 weeks to get your fish. I bet that would help cut down on a lot of angry, rude phone calls. Also keeping track of Fed Ex tracking numbers and providing them via E-mail, or for that matter keeping the customer informed via e-mail would make a BIG difference IMO. BuyNpack just doesn't have a very good customer service and that causes them a lot of their problems.

well said!

The captain on our fishing tour ALSO have wrong info. We were told our CC would be charged when the fish was shipped. In addition, he told us that it would be shipped within 48 hours. Well, the $45 shipping fee was charged on our CC the DAY of the tour, not the day the fish shipped. And, as we all know, the fish was shipped MUCH later. ;)

No kidding. I'm STILL waiting on mine. I've been charged for the processing and the shipping but still no fish. I believe this will be the last time we ever take a fishing excursion in Alaska with the intent on keeping the fish. This has been far to much hassle to make it an enjoyable experience.

FINALLY! Our fish arrived today. It had been so long since we caught it we had forgotten just what good size fish they were. Now all we have to do is cook it.

Caught the fish on Sept. 5th, told it would be held no longer than 10 days maximum only to find out it might not get shipped for a month or more. They really need to do a much better job of communicating with customers.

Archived